What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad OS 13, Files, Move folder - doesn’t offer “to” location

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
and it’s puzzling..says to move to a location. I see the folder I want to move, I see Cancel and I see, ghosted out, a folder with a + sign on it and the word Move also ghosted out.

Feels like something missing..a bug? Did apple forget to wire some things together?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your ability to create, copy, move folders and files depends on several things. I don’t know all the rules, but here are few stabs in the dim.

The folder(+) icon lets you create a new folder. This is now standard when you need to save, move, or copy files; hurray.

In general, you can’t move folder outside an app. You can only Copy them. You’ll see a Move option when in Select mode, but when the folder destination chooser (or whatever it’s called) pops up you may see Copy instead of Move. By experiment I can move folders easily within my main Documents by Readel iCloud folder, but when I try to move them outside the folder I can only copy them.

This probably has something to do with underlying folder/app permission/sandboxing in iOS.

There may be further problems with apps that have not been updated for iOS 13 (especially other cloud services like Dropbox), or apps that are using local folders. I rarely use local folders these days. It’s easier to keep all content available on all devices if you use the cloud. Just keep in mind whether you are in a local folder, iCloud folder, or some other cloud service. Maybe it will make more sense then.

It is now possible to create folder that are not associated with an app, both locally and in iCloud. Just create them in the top level of iCloud or On my iPad. Moving and copying to from these folders may be easier.

I’ve been using Documents by Readle as my main file system. This is possible because Documents acts like a file server, letting other apps access. With iOS 13, that’s not necessary. You can create a folder structure independent of any app, and most apps will be able to access and copy/save/edit those files.

I haven’t done this, yet. I may later when I’ve done some more tests and catch the re-organize bug.

If you show me a screen shot of what is happening (with any personal data removed) I might be able to guess what is going on. Otherwise, these random thoughts are all I can offer. At least for now.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That’s a good idea. I need to get more comfy taking screenshots and movies on the iPad. I am within Pages’ section of Files, and trying to move one Pages document folder into another Pages document folder. That’s what fails.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK..I just started a screen recording so that I could capture the problem. However this time, it worked!

You’d mentioned a potential connection between this and some other issues I’d had early today. I did a restart of the iPad. With luck, that blew out the dust bunnies, and my internal OS structure is now healthy and functional, and this morning’s issues were a one-off.

Most reactions

Latest posts