What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad on holiday concern

gremp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

New here so bear with me! I'm off to orlando florida with family in friends on the 13th March and want to take my iPad with me as it's got my music, games and films on (to help keep me amused during the long haul flights).

However, a friend of mine warned me there's a high change customs will confiscate my iPad for "further investigation" and it's a pain to get it back off them.

Just wondered what other peoples experiences are with this?

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
where will you be flying from?
I have my iPad with me on all my flights and I'v ebeen flying from Europe to the US, to South Africa, etc.
Nobody ever took my iPad 'for further investigation'.
Sometimes, when returning home, German customs accuse me of having bought it in the US and want me to pay duty.
Therefore, I always carry a copy of the invoice from the german company I bought it from.
Once they see this, they'll let me pass without problems.

OP
G

gremp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi MarkK,

Thank you for the information.

I'm flying from Gatwick to Orland International and then visa versa on the way back. I've probably got a copy of the invoice from the apple shop at home somewhere but not 100% sure.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never had any problem with customs or on flights, but if it's fairly new I'd take a copy of your receipt with you. If you do you won't be asked and if you don't......

Sysinfo says uptime here was 27 days+ so I can't claim it's a new one.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However, a friend of mine warned me there's a high change customs will confiscate my iPad for "further investigation" and it's a pain to get it back off them.

Only if they X-ray your device and think they've found a bomb or drugs inside. Otherwise there's no reason for them to impound anything.

Or to put this another way, thousands of other travellers with iPads fly all around the world every day, and if customs officers were making a habit of confiscating them, you'd think that some level of noise would have been made.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi MarkK,

Thank you for the information.

I'm flying from Gatwick to Orland International and then visa versa on the way back. I've probably got a copy of the invoice from the apple shop at home somewhere but not 100% sure.

I've been on this route several times before and there's never been any problem. I don't even bother to carry my invoice these days; they've got better things to be looking for. (But, in a sense, I do have it because the Apple shop emailed it to me so, if I was ever asked, just power up the iPad....)

Enjoy your trip and your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts