What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad newbie, have several questions

crazye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok gang just got my first iPad for Christmas and slowly figuring everything out. Here are the questions I have so far:

1. Is there an app that I can use as a timer to lockdown the screen after X minutes such that it won't unlock until I enter a password? I want to be able to let my 4 year old do some educational games without watching the clock and just have it lock the screen when her time is up.

2. Which calendar do you all suggest that will sync between my iPad, my hubby's iPad, our Android based phones and his Mac for work (I'm not sure if Mac laptops typically come with their own calendar or if he's using Outlook). We need to be able to coordinate family calendars quickly and easily. Bonus points if the app will also allow me to sync grocery/to do lists between my Android phone and my iPad without an additional app.

3. What other rugged cases do you recommend besides the Otterbox?

4. Is there a legal way to share apps with my hubby without blowing away my own? He has an iTunes acct for his Mac and iPad which is primarily stuff for his work but he also has a few apps I want. I have mainly the kid apps and a few videos that we also want on his iPad for the kids but don't want to pay twice. I've read suggestions to merge into one iTunes account which won't work as well due to some of his apps being for work but is it legal to authorize my computer with his iTunes ID and download what I want then sync to my iPad and retain my own? And vice versa with my iTunes account onto his Mac and his iPad? Want to make sure that it would be legal as well as not blowing away the apps that we've already purchased/loaded onto our respective iPads (and also my iPod touch). We're not worried about having to log onto 2 accounts to keep apps up to date as that's not a complicated process (just switch the Apple ID in settings on the iPad right?!)

Thanks and look forward to learning via the forums!

Last edited:
OP
C

crazye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bumping to see if there is anyone who might have suggestions!

I can't figure out if I can modify my title to be more descriptive, sorry...and thanks in advance for the help!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok gang just got my first iPad for Christmas and slowly figuring everything out. Here are the questions I have so far:

1. Is there an app that I can use as a timer to lockdown the screen after X minutes such that it won't unlock until I enter a password? I want to be able to let my 4 year old do some educational games without watching the clock and just have it lock the screen when her time is up.

AFAIK, there is no way to lock the screen at a certain time if the iPad is in active use. You can have it shut down while it's idle, but not in use. Maybe get a timer app (or use an external timer) and set it for the time you wish.

2. Which calendar do you all suggest that will sync between my iPad, my hubby's iPad, our Android based phones and his Mac for work (I'm not sure if Mac laptops typically come with their own calendar or if he's using Outlook). We need to be able to coordinate family calendars quickly and easily. Bonus points if the app will also allow me to sync grocery/to do lists between my Android phone and my iPad without an additional app.

I suggest using the Google calendar. You can set it up to sync with the iPad, computers and, as far as I know, other manufacturer's phones. Don't know about hooking in a grocery list with it, tho.

As far as to-do lists that go across platforms, what about some of the bigger ones such as "Remember the Milk"? Maybe that has apps for Android/Apple syncing. Or, try a cloud-based service such as Evernote or Dropbox. It'll be a bit clunky, but you can use any device to view cloud "stuff."

3. What other rugged cases do you recommend besides the Otterbox?

4. Is there a legal way to share apps with my hubby without blowing away my own? He has an iTunes acct for his Mac and iPad which is primarily stuff for his work but he also has a few apps I want. I have mainly the kid apps and a few videos that we also want on his iPad for the kids but don't want to pay twice. I've read suggestions to merge into one iTunes account which won't work as well due to some of his apps being for work but is it legal to authorize my computer with his iTunes ID and download what I want then sync to my iPad and retain my own? And vice versa with my iTunes account onto his Mac and his iPad? Want to make sure that it would be legal as well as not blowing away the apps that we've already purchased/loaded onto our respective iPads (and also my iPod touch). We're not worried about having to log onto 2 accounts to keep apps up to date as that's not a complicated process (just switch the Apple ID in settings on the iPad right?!)

Thanks and look forward to learning via the forums!

I don't use a case, so can't help there.

There is no reason why you and your family can't share apps from you different iTunes accounts/Apple IDs. Apple allows family members to share apps (I believe it's even in their EULA). The only bad thing is that you'll have to log in and log out of the accounts (on the iDevice) to keep the apps updated, but you've already said that's no big problem.

Hope some of this helped. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Marilyn

OP
C

crazye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
AFAIK, there is no way to lock the screen at a certain time if the iPad is in active use. You can have it shut down while it's idle, but not in use. Maybe get a timer app (or use an external timer) and set it for the time you wish.

Darn! I will keep looking but have been using my phone timer in the meantime.

Mickey330 said:
I suggest using the Google calendar. You can set it up to sync with the iPad, computers and, as far as I know, other manufacturer's phones. Don't know about hooking in a grocery list with it, tho.

My hubby and I have been trying out Cozi but Google calendar is next on the list. I don't always need to share lists with him but do need to be able to share between my iPad and my Android phone (can't upgrade until late 2013 without paying full price on a device)

Mickey330 said:
As far as to-do lists that go across platforms, what about some of the bigger ones such as "Remember the Milk"? Maybe that has apps for Android/Apple syncing. Or, try a cloud-based service such as Evernote or Dropbox. It'll be a bit clunky, but you can use any device to view cloud "stuff."

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few on my list to try out. Would ideally like one to do calendaring too but 2 apps that sync is better than having none!

Mickey330 said:
There is no reason why you and your family can't share apps from you different iTunes accounts/Apple IDs. Apple allows family members to share apps (I believe it's even in their EULA). The only bad thing is that you'll have to log in and log out of the accounts (on the iDevice) to keep the apps updated, but you've already said that's no big problem.

Hope some of this helped. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Marilyn

Thanks so much Marilyn! I appreciate your help. I just didn't want to do anything illegal with the app sharing. The other stuff I just didn't want to spend money on apps tp figure out it isn't what works for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Forum Runner

pegpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Durable case suggestion

I suggest Yoobau leather case from Xengadget on Amazon. Durable cover, weighted front flap, easy-grip. I am very
happy with mine.

dg8r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bonus points if the app will also allow me to sync grocery/to do lists between my Android phone and my iPad without an additional app.

Not exactly what it was planned for but this would work. Using Google Calendar set up an appointment called "Grocery List". In the description section make up your list. For Todo list do the same with a different name.

There is a widget for the Android operating system called Pure Calendar that allows you to access the Google Calendar on your droid phone. It also allows you to make entries into the Google Calendar. And the best thing is "It is free".

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts