What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini vs iPad mini 2 on wifi speedtest

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Curious. I have these two sitting right next to each other and less that five feet from my router. I ran the test using the same server. I ran the test on my mini 1first and then on the mini 2, one right after another. I did a total of test runs on each back-to-back. I was surprised to see the mini 1 was consistently faster each time. Not a huge deal to me as the wifi speed is more than enough on downloads for anything I need to do, but I find this curious.

iPad mini 1 on left

iPad mini 2 on right

Attachments

• image-3059826144.jpg
    image-3059826144.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 883
  • image-2892768838.jpg
    image-2892768838.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 876

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is strange. The new iPads have newer wi-fi radio specs that should make them faster. On the other hand it is necessary to have a new router with the same tech to get most of that extra speed. I can't think of why it would be slower.

Though, given the speed you are showing I would be happy with either. I rarely get above 10 Mbps on my network. 3 Mbps is typical.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly. I would expect pretty similar performance on the same router. Here, the difference is close to 10%! I will continue to test just to see if it ever changes in any way.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was always satisfied with the wifi speed on my iPad mini (non-retina) when I had it for a year. The problem I had was with the reception from two rooms away from the router at my family's house. In my house I had no problem. But there I had to go into the room that has the router just to get connected and then go back to the back room where I was originally. Weak signal I guess. With my new Air I have no such problem. I should also mention that my N7 had no such problem either.

Was thinking about getting a Mini Retina to replace my original mini which I sold. Problem is, the wifi strength was an issue. I was in Atlantic City for a few days at a hotel and the Mini would take forever to connect to wifi and then would dip in and out. When connected I got adequate speed though. I'd be interested to know if you all have had this issue as well....

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I repeated my tests above at work. Totally different story. This time the mini 2 just blows the mini 1 out of the water.

iPad mini 1 on left

iPad mini 2 on right

Attachments

• image-1323416460.jpg
    image-1323416460.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 669
  • image-4112027981.jpg
    image-4112027981.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 658
OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is the same thing done at work but on my 2013 Nexus 7.

ForumRunner_20131202_105117.png

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was always satisfied with the wifi speed on my iPad mini (non-retina) when I had it for a year. The problem I had was with the reception from two rooms away from the router at my family's house. In my house I had no problem. But there I had to go into the room that has the router just to get connected and then go back to the back room where I was originally. Weak signal I guess. With my new Air I have no such problem. I should also mention that my N7 had no such problem either.

Was thinking about getting a Mini Retina to replace my original mini which I sold. Problem is, the wifi strength was an issue. I was in Atlantic City for a few days at a hotel and the Mini would take forever to connect to wifi and then would dip in and out. When connected I got adequate speed though. I'd be interested to know if you all have had this issue as well....

I think it depends on the hardware involved...i.e., which router you are using against which device. I have not had any problems with my iPads, but both of my Nexus devices have problems with my home router, which in the same locations the iPads don't. I don't think you can draw a general conclusion beyond that with your particular router in your house your iPads are having problems. I think that could change if you upgrade your router...or not. Trial and error yields the only reliable results, I think.

Most reactions