What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini 2 connects to wifi but not interet

polarvortex8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I am traveling with my iPad Mini 2 and iPhone. It has been working fine, but suddenly the internet connection was shaky for a few minutes on my iPad Mini 2 and then it stopped working completely. My phone was working fine.

It will find the network and connect to it - I have the little blue checkmark - but the internet never actually works. I have tried it with multiple networks and nothing. My phone is always fine.

I have tried restarting it, turning off the wifi, resetting network settings, etc and nothing is helping. Suggestions?

Note: I am traveling and I don't really have access to any of the routers. I don't think it is a router issue since it won't work connect to any wifi.

I am running version 9.2

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Some more information will help us to offer advice: 1) You have iOS 9.2 installed on your iPad (and iPhone), as stated - correct; 2) Is your iPad Mini Wi-Fi only or also cellular; 3) When your iPhone connects to the internet is this via its cellular or Wi-Fi connection (both ways are possible); and 4) What type of Wi-Fi networks are you trying to use to connect your Mini (assume these are hotels, hotspots, etc. and not protected)? Answers to these questions will help - thanks. Dave

OP
P

polarvortex8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for the reply!

1) correct
2) my iPad mini is wifi only
3) both, but I tend to keep my iPhone on airplane mode to make sure that it is not using data (data in Uruguay is expensive!). So it is definitely connecting to routers.
4) don't know what type. You are correct, it is the wifi in hostels and restaurants

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's Wi-Fi only, it can't connect to a cellular connection.

Use Safari. Most Wi-Fi connections (also free ones) in hotels, ... require a login from there, before you can use the internet.

Last edited:
OP
P

polarvortex8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not trying to connect to data.
It connects to wifi and then the internet won't load. I do not think that a log in is the problem because
A) I have no problem with my phone
B) this happened for the first time after I was using the wifi in an Airbnb for days and it never asked for a log in. That isn't the issue.

OP
P

polarvortex8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not trying to connect to data.
It connects to wifi and then the internet won't load. I do not think that a log in is the problem because
A) I have no problem with my phone
B) this happened for the first time after I was using the wifi in an Airbnb for days and it never asked for a log in. That isn't the issue.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again - from your descriptions, your iPhone is connecting via Wi-Fi to the networks you described but not your iPad Mini - correct? If so, please review this Apple Support Article, and look at the last two items - I would first suggest a 'Reset' of you iDevice (see the directions below, last item in bold); if that does not help, then you might consider the final suggestion, i.e. 'Reset Network Settings' which will return you to the iPad's defaults (see screen capture below - blue arrow). Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 8.x/9.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.
IMG_4529.PNG

OP
P

polarvortex8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried both, multiple times. It didn't work. More suggestions?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have tried both, multiple times. It didn't work. More suggestions?

Sorry, I went back and re-read your first post and 'resetting network settings' was stated - now, concerning 'Restart' vs. 'Reset', look at my quote previously and make sure that you are pressing both the HOME and the ON-OFF buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release the buttons and allow the device to reboot; if this is what you have done, then fine.

I re-looked at the Apple link I gave and you seemed to have gone through all of the steps - not sure that I can offer much more; if I were home w/ the problem, I would power cycle (turn off, wait, and power up again) my modem and router but almost impossible to do 'on the road', and also you state that the iPhone is getting on the Wi-Fi networks. Dave :)

OP
P

polarvortex8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I have done what you suggested. I fear my iPad is now a fancy solitaire device. It's not even a month old! I don't know how I can get it fixed in Uruguay, however. The apple website just told me to go into a store :(

OP
P

polarvortex8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, I even tried restoring to factory settings and it won't. It just freezes after I put in my password.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lol, I even tried restoring to factory settings and it won't. It just freezes after I put in my password.

Well, you sure have been a trooper in trying to get your iPad Mini to work in South America; although I've traveled extensively over the decades, have only been to Colombia on that continent a while back - hope that you can find an Apple store in your locale and that the 'geniuses' can help - good luck! Dave :)

Last edited:

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I replied to another thread similar to this, I have the same problem every now and than on my mini2. Here is what usually gets me connected. I'm guessing the "GET CONNECTED" page does not pop up. Try this, check mark the wifi network you want in settings, wait 30 seconds to see if the GET CONNECTED page pops up. If not, close settings and open Safari and click on one of your Safari bookmark icons. This might prompt the GET CONNECTED to pop up. The wifi's not letting you on the net because you haven't agreed to the terms of service. Theirs no garanty this will work for you but it works for me when my iPad acts up.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep, this is a common issue, which we encounter on signing into our room's Wi-Fi at most hotel stays - wife always complaining that she can't get on the internet - so I tell her to open a browser window to see if the hotel's login site magically appears - AND, it usually does! Dave :)

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Giradman.
This has not happened to me, but I'm pleased to know the workaround, so thanks.

Most reactions