What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini has 2 different versions of Digitizer connector.

gpvirzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently bought a iPad mini 64GB wifi version. After only 2 days I broke the digitizer touch screen. Took the iPad mini apart to remove the broken touch screen and look for a replacement online.

Then I came to realize that my iPad mini has a different connector on the flex cable than all the touch screens for sale on ebay or anywhere else on online.

Can anybody please help me locate this Touch Screen?

Thank you!.

Attachments

• Connector cable ipad mini.jpg
    Connector cable ipad mini.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 10,266

supernovasonia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I am too looking for the iPad Mini digitizer, i ordered one from eBay and it was useless...it doesnt go on the iPad, it needs the extra connector attached to it, they are (in my opinion) some cheap rubbish made in china to con people into buying them...i dont think the proper ones are actually made yet....

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry about the problems you guys are having! :(
Meanwhile, I would like to welcome you, our newest member, to this gorgeous online community where iPad users alike come from all walks of life to converse and share their knowledge of the revolutionary piece of technology brought into existence by Apple known as the iPad. I invite and encourage you to look around and make some new posts, we could certainly use that! Make yourself at home!We only ask that you kindly read over the forum rules and follow them during your membership at the forum. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html
Also, for anyone using the iPF app for iPad (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8) and having issues with the Send button, read this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-4-forum/99986-ipf-app-send-button-greyed-out.html#post780659

It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that we welcome our newest member to the forum.

From the account of Goofy8275, user of iPadForums

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me understand your dilemma. You bought a new iPad mini and it's screen became disabled in some manner while the iPad was under warranty which provided a free replacement. Instead of getting the free replacement iPad mini, you disassembled the mini thereby voiding the warranty.

Is that what happened?

OP
G

gpvirzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, iPad Warranty is useless here in Panama. I would have to send the iPad mini back to the US!. I thought I could just buy a $75 touch screen and be done with it. Sending this iPad to the US was gonna cost much more than that. Also, this was going to be a Christmas present for my son so I wanted it to be a quick fix.

OP
G

gpvirzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is very different the way you guys think about warranties is the US compared to how we look at them. Me personally have never even thought about taking a product to the store and getting a new one after breaking it, that would be unheard of. If the item had a defect from the manufacturer then that would be a different story. In that respect, you guys are lucky. Anyways I call the store where I bought the iPad mini here in Panama and as expected they do not provide warranties and I would have to ship the iPad to the US. Shipping anything from Panama to the US is costly because it is not a very high demand service. I hope eventually there will be a vendor that carries these touch screens.

tvptech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guy,

The repair on the iPad mini is not a repair for a novice and DOES require soldering of both the digitizer and the homebutton IC connectors. As far as I am aware there is not a vendor that sells the digitizer with the IC connecter yet. If you purchased it and can't do the repair I suggest taking it to your local repair shop and seeing if they do that kind of work. Did one myself and it was pretty tough, have like 70 contacts on the digi to match with the connector. Good luck all.

OP
G

gpvirzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to thank tvptech for his valuable advice. I was able to solder the home button and IC connectors to the new Touchscreen I bought on ebay. I recommend watching this video before doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

comphorizons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We can repair the iPad Mini. We do these repair on regular daily basis, you can check our customer review from our website. [Moderator edit: No external links to personal/company websites]: or visit our Ebay store to view our feedback.

iDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, great forum!

There are not two versions of the digitizer connector, the replacement part simply needs the other portion soldered to it. A heat gun is a decent way to slowly, evenly, heat the old connectoion so that it comes away WITHOUT tearing the pads off, which is pretty easy to do and if you do need to destroy one part, make sure it is the OLD digitizer side! An iron does work too, but you have a lot more risk of the solder setting before you can get it off and it takes more work. You can always clean up afterwards with a razor blade and your iron, flaking away the old flex cable pieces, then using Isopropyl to prep the pads.

Secondly, for the heat gun method use Aluminum foil to "mask off" anything you do not want to heat, 2 layers at least! Tape it all down to your work bench.

I would like to add a quick tip for the soldering portion of the repair procedure that I have not seen ANYWHERE online yet. After prepping each connection with a small pad of solder, (since we will be heating them from the back side).

->Look for 2 small pads (not connections to anything) to either side of the 70 connector pads. (You can see them in the first pic at the top of this thread)
->On the other flex (that you are soldering to) there are two tiny pin-holes that line up with these two benign pads.

Take a small bit of solder on the tip of your iron and touch each of the 2 pads quickly "pulling up," (away from the flex cable) which creates a small "spike." After doing this to both, line the 2 "spikes" up with the 2 pin-holes on the other half, apply your flux and clamp them together with hemostats or something similar. This will keep them from moving when you are soldering them together. Also, USE PLENTY OF FLUX! The flux will also assure that the solder stays where the heat is appropriate and helps make sure you do not overheat the flex cable thereby damaging it. The first one I did took two tries to get correct, the first time I did not apply enough heat to fuse them all but less is more since you can always go back and add more heat, versus burning it up the first time. Touch each one until you can FEEL the solder flow and the cable looks flat, if there are bumps, you either used too much solder or it did not flow completely and you will end up with a "cold" joint, which is non-conductive!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Also, I have been unable to find replacement Digi-IC's for the mini (for under $100), has anyone else had any luck? If so, can you post a link?

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with theForum Rules No Private details or addresses

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Although the last post but one was over two months old, there may still be some value to members in canvassing this topic. However, I have moved this thread to the iPad DIY sub-forum as it is felt it may have better exposure there for anyone seeking assistance.

long02003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad mini, a beautiful and elegant product, since the date of birth, attracted the eyes of many persons. For iPad Mini, a lot of people and treat them to her treasures. Compared to the full-size ipad its biggest advantage is portability. Similarly, it is also the most easily slipped from the hands. Repair the iPad almost inevitable, but for a long time, maintenance is simply a nightmare. Because of the lack of an important accessories - For iPad mini digitizer IC connector, touch screen connector flex with IC.

Now, I am pleased to share with you about this accessory. We have this Digitizer IC connector for iPad mini, a small but essential repair parts With this accessory,you can solder digitizer more easily. It is small, but it is essential.

Moderator note: No external links, please read the rules

Most reactions

Latest posts