What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad in the classroom

OP
mollysmom

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Llike I said, I will share the info and websites that were given to us during tech day. There is so much free info and apps out there. As far as special Ed is concerned, iPad's are. God send. Some classes are using them as communication devices. It is sooooooo much cheaper than buying a device. Some of those devices can cost up to 5 thousand. 500 dollars plus the cost of the speech app is so much cheaper. More kids will get what they need since it is more cost effective.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

pmuldoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are quite welcome and good luck. I have a former colleague who got now works for a charter school that uses iPads exclusively, no physical books at all. This is their first year and I will getting some feedback regarding how they are managed and their apps. I will share when I get the info.

OP
mollysmom

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Carisa, you rock! Thanks for the info!

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mollysmom said:
Amen to that. Monitoring what students are doing can be a nightmare. The regular educ teachers found out first hand--locking out, downloading all kinds of stuff, etc. we had an in service yesterday about using iPads in the classroom. I plan on hooking mine up to the SmartBoard. Only big problem there is that the SB screen is not interactive. I will grab my info after Thanksgiving of suggested apps and websites to use in the classroom if anyone is interested.

I'm interested!

OP
mollysmom

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure you check out the site that Carisa listed. I'm on break now, but I promise that as soon as I get back, I'll share whatever I have. All my notes are on my work computer that I very nicely left at work. :)

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mollysmom said:
Make sure you check out the site that Carisa listed. I'm on break now, but I promise that as soon as I get back, I'll share whatever I have. All my notes are on my work computer that I very nicely left at work. :)

Thank you, Mollysmom. I will.

After reviewing English teachers' YouTube explanations of how they use the iPad as a whiteboard, I realized that I could just connect my iPad 2 to a smart podium and just project documents in iAnnotate PDF onto a screen for a variety of class activities. This will also bypass the issue of connecting devices via wifi which is not always reliable at my school.

All of the methods of using the iPad as a whiteboard, especially those that enable freedom of movement as the teacher is conducting class, seem to involve adding devices that I'd either have to carry or reserve for classrooms that don't have smart podiums. Only one of my four courses taught in a physical classroom next semester has a smart podium and the thought of carrying or leaving time to bring and return the extra equipment is something I'll have to really think about.

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score

After reviewing English teachers' YouTube explanations of how they use the iPad as a whiteboard, I realized that I could just connect my iPad 2 to a smart podium and just project documents in iAnnotate PDF onto a screen for a variety of class activities. This will also bypass the issue of connecting devices via wifi which is not always reliable at my school.

All of the methods of using the iPad as a whiteboard, especially those that enable freedom of movement as the teacher is conducting class, seem to involve adding devices that I'd either have to carry or reserve for classrooms that don't have smart podiums. Only one of my four courses taught in a physical classroom next semester has a smart podium and the thought of carrying or leaving time to bring and return the extra equipment is something I'll have to really think about.
I've done this during conferences - works very well.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad2Cases.com said:
I've done this during conferences - works very well.

I'm glad to hear that it's been effective. Thank you.

One of the reasons I bought an iPad was to try to minimize how much I carry, especially as I travel using mass transit, and to make life simpler.

If I had my own office and one that was secure, I probably would have tried some of the suggestions I researched and been slower to realize that I already had the basic apps and adapter cords I needed to conduct some of the types of activities I have in mind.

Of course, I'd still have to deal with the unreliable wifi issue.

These issues haven't discouraged me from exploring further ways of using the iPad in my classes, but I am happy to see that I have at least one dependable means of using it when the new semester begins.

thapzen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think an iPad is a must have in the gadget world and it makes life a whole lot easier too

rleneway

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:

I am currently consulting with a school district that is thinking about using the iPad with a 50 inch LCD TV instead of purchasing an interactive whiteboard. I have seen interactive Touch screen TVs, but they are about $10,000, so need a cheaper solution. Ideas?

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rleneway said:
I am currently consulting with a school district that is thinking about using the iPad with a 50 inch LCD TV instead of purchasing an interactive whiteboard. I have seen interactive Touch screen TVs, but they are about $10,000, so need a cheaper solution. Ideas?

The alternative whiteboard solutions I've seen allowing for freedom of movement while conducting class involve using three pieces of hardware: connecting the iPad via wifi connection to a laptop that is connected to a projector.

One of the following apps is used in the process:
Air Sketch
Splashtop Whiteboard
Ink2Go

One explanation of the process I've been able to find was by Tim Tyson under "iUpGrade TV" in YouTube. He has a three part video explanation of how to use the iPad with other equipment as a whiteboard.

As I've said, I haven't tried any of the above solutions, so I can't vouch for any of the information and while the solutions are much more attractive than paying $10,000, these solutions are a nightmare for educators (like me) who travel by mass transit, do not have a secure place to leave expensive equipment at work, and have very little access to Smartrooms that at least have a projector.

OP
mollysmom

mollysmom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Socrative Student

mobile.discoverystreaming.com

qrstuff.com (app qr reader)

classtools.net

www.iear.org

learninginhand.com

doodle buddy

3d brain

screen chomp

pottery lite

so ouat

toontastic paid app

bloomstaxonomy with ipad apps

sock puppets

story kit

easy chart (enter data and it makes a chart)

math dictionary for kids

creative book builder

[email protected]

The email addy on the end is someone from another school district that gave us this information. I am sure he wouldn't mind a contact if you need more info. I apologize for taking so long to post this, but it is IEP season and I am drowning in paperwork.

Most reactions

Latest posts