What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad in Singapore

marbledude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the welcome to the site.

I am a US expat living in Singapore. I was about to buy an ipad the last trip to the US when I "think" I discovered, meaning I am not sure, that I cannot access ibooks or any ebooks here in Singapore.

I have an itunes account with a US credit card, a US billing and shipping address, and I access the US itunes store, but cannot download ebooks. My ISP is of course, indicating that I am in Singapore. Is there a way to do this, or does Singapore block the download, or is there specific laws that prevent ebooks from being downloaded.

Also, does anyone know if after ipad is released in Singapore will ibooks and any ebook app be available for download?

I really want to purchase a 16G Wifi model for the specific purpose of reading books, as books are really expensive here in Singapore, and I can't find my favorite authors.

I appreciate any help here and hopefully there are some Singaporeans out there that have some information for me.

superfly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi bro.

I'm using US account, topped up with iTunes redeem card. No issues to buy from iTunes and to sync all content.

OP
M

marbledude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I also have no problems with itunes music, or apple TV, I just cannot download books. Maybe, I am missing something.

Draper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have to install the iBooks app before you can iTunes will create a books category and sync them. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch with iOS4, you can install iBooks and start downloading them without issue. Of course, I'm in South Korea, so what do I know about Singaporean internet regulation? I can't imagine that they would let you get everything except for books, though...

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does a few times ask if you want to install iBooks not sure about getting it where you are though.

Welcome to the site :)

OP
M

marbledude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the information. But..........it is still not working here in Singapore.
I have contacted an IT friend who says he can show me a way around the problem.
As soon as he does and I try it, and it works, I will let all know. I only hope it works. I do know that the ISP is the determining factor.

dakark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Marbledude,

I bought my Ipad in the US a couple of months ago, downloaded iBooks app while I was in the US and downloaded a bunch of books. I haven't tried to buy any books through iBooks while I've been in Singapore, but I'm able to access the iBook store and download samples. It doesn't seem to have any block on it due to being in Singapore.

Additionally, the Kindle app takes you straight to Amazon.com where you can also buy books that download directly to your iPad (and they are cheaper than at iBook store).

So it doesn't seem that you will have a problem as long as you have a US iTunes account or an Amazon.com account that is linked to a US credit card and a US address.

My two cents.
Chris

OP
M

marbledude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the information you have provided. I have discovered that it all has to do with the ISP. My wife has a nook and I have to log on remotely to a US ISP in order to get the books purchased through B&N. Once I have them on my B&N account I can then open my account, while I am in Singapore (ISP), and download them to her nook as documents. They still read just as they were in her library, but I then will have to sync when I return to the states and they will be in her library.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with ipad, but I think the same type of problems will exist for anyone trying to buy books while you are connected to the internet with your Singapore ISP.

Cris, I would be interested to know if you have tried to download books logged on to your Singapore ISP.

Thanks

Kmendoza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - i also have just bOught an ipad and based here in SG and was hoping to use my ipad to read ebooks - but same as your experience, i cant seem to download anything from ibooks except those free Ones from the Gutenburg project. I have an itunes account but using my details here in SG - do you think i wOuld still be able to download and buy ebooks ? Help please -- thanks :)

dakark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kmendoza,
I'm on my second iPad in singapore and my original post is still accurate for me; I use the kindle app which allows me to get ebooks off of amazon.com. I use my US credit card which is linked to a US address. I don't use any proxy shield or anything else. I simply log onto amazon.com from my living room (via starhub home Internet), purchase the ebook option of whatever book i want to buy, and it is delivered to my iPad in a snap.

Again, I haven't tried downloading through iBooks as titles are reliably more expensive than through amazon and additionally, I've gotten quite used to the kindle app.

Jennykyn,
Sorry I have no idea what you are asking. Can you rephrase your question and I ll try to answer it.

Marbledude,
Sorry just saw your post... Yep. While on the Internet through starhub so definitely registering as a non US ISP.
Chris

Kmendoza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Chris - thanks for the reply ... I think the key for you is that you have a kindle app in your iPad which I suppose you were able to download from your iTunes US account- unfortunately, kindle app is not avail in SG as well:(

Really thought I could now start to declutter by just reading ebooks instead... :(

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kmendoza said:
@Chris - thanks for the reply ... I think the key for you is that you have a kindle app in your iPad which I suppose you were able to download from your iTunes US account- unfortunately, kindle app is not avail in SG as well:(

Really thought I could now start to declutter by just reading ebooks instead... :(

But you can open a US or UK iTunes account, Apple provides instructions on how to do this.....I'll see if I can find them for you.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts