What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad in recovery mode - Need to recover data

Gman2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my mother's iPad 2 16gb WiFi took a crap while updating to 6.1.3.

Now it's stuck on the connect to itunes screen/recovery mode. I would really like to recover the photos and videos off of the iPad.

I've tried redsn0w and tinyumbrella's "Exit Recovery Mode" with no success.

Is there any way to update or downgrade the firmware without losing all of the data?

I've read some stuff about DFU and downgrading the firmware, but no where does it say that the data will be intact.

Thank you,

Gman

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my mother's iPad 2 16gb WiFi took a crap while updating to 6.1.3.

Now it's stuck on the connect to itunes screen/recovery mode. I would really like to recover the photos and videos off of the iPad.

I've tried redsn0w and tinyumbrella's "Exit Recovery Mode" with no success.

Is there any way to update or downgrade the firmware without losing all of the data?

I've read some stuff about DFU and downgrading the firmware, but no where does it say that the data will be intact.

Gman

How were you trying to do the upgrade to iOS 6.1.3 - via iTunes? From what iOS were you upgrading from? In addition, before you started the upgrade process, did you make a back-up? If you backed up, you can restore the back-up after finishing the upgrade. I'm afraid that if you didn't make a back-up (or have a recent back-up, the data is most likely gone.

Try restoring using this tutorial by my fellow moderator, f4780y: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If you follow all the steps exactly as written, you should end up with a stock iPad running the newest iOS. Then, you can re-jail break it if you wish.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
G

Gman2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what iOS it had on it before... also it was OTA (wifi) update.

No backup... that's why I need to recover the data. Also, the iPad was not jailbroken.

Was hoping for expertise of the hacking thread...

I want those memories (photos) back!! :(

OP
G

Gman2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How are Apple liable, seeing you jailbroke your iPad?

Anyway, those familiar with jailbreaking will be able to assist. I'm sure there is hope for your data at this point.

Not jailbroken. and for there Snip--Moderator Edit upgrade process with no fall back or redundancy to prevent failed upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not jailbroken. and for there Snip--Moderator Edit upgrade process with no fall back or redundancy to prevent failed upgrades.

Just FYI, Apple provide multiple methods of backing up, you as the user need to utilize these tools to manage your data in the manner you prefer.

I apologize if my assumption that your device was jailbroken was incorrect. Your initial post certainly eluded to it. I think the fact that you started to dabble with jailbreak tools to try to get your self sorted, has compounded your problem.

In regards to your photos, did you have them synced via PhotoStream (so as to make them available across all Apple devices)?

Have you ever synced your iPad to iTunes on a PC or Mac? If so, your last back-up may yield some of your older photos.

Have you ever synced to iCloud?

OP
G

Gman2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just FYI, Apple provide multiple methods of backing up, you as the user need to utilize these tools to manage your data in the manner you prefer.

I apologize if my assumption that your device was jailbroken was incorrect. Your initial post certainly eluded to it. I think the fact that you started to dabble with jailbreak tools to try to get your self sorted, has compounded your problem.

In regards to your photos, did you have them synced via PhotoStream (so as to make them available across all Apple devices)?

Have you ever synced your iPad to iTunes on a PC or Mac? If so, your last back-up may yield some of your older photos.

Have you ever synced to iCloud?

No backups, no iCloud. Lesson learned the hard way... Also, never did anything extra with those tools, except try to exit recovery mode.

But if any one can help with some way to recover the data... it would be greatly appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has that iPad ever been connected to iTunes? What error code, if any, do you get when you connect the iPad to that iTunes?

Marilyn

P.S. As your iPad is not jail broken, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the general Help section. A lot more people read posts in that area than read the ones here in the Hacking section. Hopefully, more eyes on the problem will result in a solution.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, did you ever find a solution? I'm in the same hole... except my iPad wasn't jailbroken, but a failed OTA update.

Sorry, but if you didn't take a recent backup of the device, either via iTunes or iCloud, before you attempted the update then there isn't much that can be done.

The only solution I've seen work once was actually jailbreaking the device. Since you don't say what device you have or what version of IOS you are on, check this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

If you do still happen to be on a version of IOS which was jail breakable, the act of actually jailbreaking it may be enough to bring it back to life, however that totally depends on how seriously the OTA update failed and there is absolutely no way of knowing that, so I'd suggest you just give it a go. All the necessary links to the relevant jailbreak tutorials are included in that post.

If you get the device recovered like that, take an IMMEDIATE backup, then you can use iTunes to restore to the latest version of IOS and then restore you backup.

If you don't get anywhere because you can't jailbreak your current setup or it just doesn't work, then the only thing for it is to restore, and unfortunately lose the data contents on your iPad :( Follow this guide here to help you with that - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Good Luck.

OP
G

Gman2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only solution I've seen work once was actually jailbreaking the device. Since you don't say what device you have or what version of IOS you are on, check this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

If you do still happen to be on a version of IOS which was jail breakable, the act of actually jailbreaking it may be enough to bring it back to life, however that totally depends on how seriously the OTA update failed and there is absolutely no way of knowing that, so I'd suggest you just give it a go. All the necessary links to the relevant jailbreak tutorials are included in that post.

Now that gives me some hope :) It's a iPad 2 16gb WiFI. I believe it had 6.1.2 on it before the update to 6.1.3.

So should I try jailbreaking it to 6.1.2? Using evasi0n?

OP
G

Gman2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that gives me some hope :) It's a iPad 2 16gb WiFI. I believe it had 6.1.2 on it before the update to 6.1.3.

So should I try jailbreaking it to 6.1.2? Using evasi0n?

Actually it very well could've had an even older version.

OP
G

Gman2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has that iPad ever been connected to iTunes? What error code, if any, do you get when you connect the iPad to that iTunes?

iTunes says it's in recovery mode... and there is a backup from 9/2012... but need photos from this year.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
....Gman2005

Your posts and response has now been moved to this thread so as to keep all info on your issue together in the one place as per our Forum Rules.

Please confine any new info on this issue to this thread.

Most reactions

Latest posts