What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad II or iPad IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Mini vs iPad2 Mini has updated wifi/cellular, higher res front camera and 5MP 1080P rear camera as well

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
You won't have to replace it, at least not immediately. But once it stops being sold, it will become obsolete. Also, its battery life will began to fade, so you'll eventually either upgrade or carry a charger everywhere. It's just how it goes. I have old PCs that still run just fine, though they have long been obsolete. They run the OS they ran just fine as well as software they are designed to run. I bought them so long ago I can't remember their exact age, either. Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it isn't useful. People seem to be fearful of the word "obsolete" for some reason. If it does what you need it to do, then you can use it until it quits running.

I believe apple can replace a battery for about a hundred bucks or so. If the iPad 2 is still working great and just needs a battery then that may be money well spent for some people. Obsolete doesn't apply to a product that still does something useful. It could be ten more years until any iPad is truly obsolete. It may not run every new, memory hogging app out there but obsolete is too harsh a word for something that will still have a purpose and plenty of uses. Guess I'm just being an iPad 2 fanboy. :)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Obsolete doesn't apply to a product that still does something useful.

I agree. This whole idea than an ipad or other computer is obsolete just because there is a newer model is strange to me. Does this make my cars, appliances, golf clubs, skis, and tools all obsolete?

cyndy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only have the iPad 4, but let me get this straight:

If anybody buys *any* iPad model (2,3,4) ALL models are still being updated to the newest and latest operating system Apple has out. And the 2 can't update to a couple updates because it is not capable of it? But, if I understand it from the previous posts, Apple does update-for free- to iPads as new tech comes available? My next question would be do other tablets do it? I know my first Kindle (only a year old and replaced 3 times for defects by amazon) doesn't, and we all know Widows on computers are forever changing to make you buy the next newest and greatest. If Apple keeps updating, and for free, that's a big selling point. So, as a fairly new iPad buyer (5 months but a old hand to iPods and nanos) can I understand Apple updates for free forever as long as my iPad is capable to accept the changes? The OP is that the owner of that unopened iPad, while he can by having a unopened box, should update to a iPad4 for $150 to get a better product PLUS have a iPad that will be capable to keep that edge? IMHO that is the issue, not that the iPad 2 is useless, un usable, not as good, blah, blah, but at the edge of tech. Is that the facts the OP needs?

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is that the facts the OP needs?

I think the original poster has long-ago gotten the answer he/she was looking for. This thread would have ended on the 1st of January were that the only criteria driving continuation of threads. No, this is all for the benefit of future readers, and because it is a fun and interesting discussion.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
oberkc said:
I agree. This whole idea than an ipad or other computer is obsolete just because there is a newer model is strange to me. Does this make my cars, appliances, golf clubs, skis, and tools all obsolete?

That's what I'm getting at. The word obsolete is being used way out of context in this thread. Even an iPad 1 isn't really obsolete at this stage. Sure, it doesn't do everything that newer iPads do but it's far from obsolete. We gotta find a different word to use when describing older iPads. :)

cyndy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree, the thread has brought up fun and interesting questions (sorry to come come at it so focusly and intensely like) Because it really fascinates me Apple updates products even after newer versions come out. Again, a fantastic selling point.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 2 and 4. While I still use my iPad 2, there's no chance that I'd have bought it once a newer model came out. With tech, it's best to get the newest guts and get the longest possibility of firmware upgrades unless budget doesn't allow it. That gives you the best chances of higher functionality for a longer time.

Both my iPad 1 and 2 started showing signs of age with the arrival of iOS 5, in the form of crashes. Apple tinkered with later versions of iOS 5, reducing crashes (much more so on iPad 2 than 1, because 2 has twice as much RAM). But the crashes indicate to me that firmware and upgraded apps were starting to push the limits of the hardware. That's why I didn't buy a mini iPad either (even though I'd started rooting for a mini iPad more than two years ago).

My iPad 1 was getting more annoying to use, because of sluggishness and crashes, so I upgraded and ended up giving it away. My iPad 2 looks to be headed that way, too, probably when the next iPad comes out.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I feel your pain. I hardly used my TM R11, and it's been rendered obsolete by the R11S and now the RBZ and the R1. How can I ever play golf again with this useless junk sitting in my bag? You just can't swing last years club the same, knowing there's a new shiny one sitting in the golf store. [/sarcasm]

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if buying new today i'd stretch my cash for the iPad 4, like you i have the iPad 2. i run a business and a big function is having pdf's of equipment manuals to refer to, also user manuals or those clients that have lost the one issued. I also use 2 cad apps to make floor plans of larger projects.

I use it on holiday flights to watch movies, or if i have the grandkids they watch it on long drives, iPad 2 has taken over most the tasks i used a laptop for with exception f my accounts package.

for me SIRI many sing its praises i find it is a waste of time, if i want to make a random phone call to my phone book listed contact, it adds spice not knowing whom i will actually speak to, at the point i dare not se it while driving.

Unless i know the number from memmory and dictate it, tbh the success rate is rubish on my iphone 4s, so not a feature i'd stump up for until i have to.

From what i've seen the retina display is better, a bit like comparing normal and HD tv imho, while nice is it worth ditching a god unit with a decent enough display?

The iPad 4 has a faster processor - yippee! but if you don't really need it why spend out? i don't drive a sports car as my Ford Focus CC3 is way quick enough, ok, so it renders a film 10 seconds quicker, where else do you need such speed unless your calculating nuclear or quantum physics?

it is true the ip2 is now considered in it's sunset years, and possibly at some time it will no longer be supported (just as the original iPad is no longer), but then you buy the iP5 how long will it be before the iPad 6 is out and your back in the same boat with your iP5.

From expensive experience if you want to keep up with all the latests tech devices, it burns large holes in your wallet, and in reality - you never can for long.

As long as your iP2 will do what YOU want, and most importantly NEED it to, my advice is to keep it, then if it die's by all means upgrade to the latest - which might even be Samsung etc. OMG!

//(exits stage left looking to rinse my mouth out).

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because it really fascinates me Apple updates products even after newer versions come out.

And not just apple. It has gotten so expected and some people fill forums like these with profanity that apple/samsung/htc/etc... stop providing indefinite releases of software for their systems purchase a couple of years ago. When did this become expected?

As long as your iP2 will do what YOU want, and most importantly NEED it to, my advice is to keep it, then if it die's by all means upgrade to the latest - which might even be Samsung etc.

Never a doubt, in my mind, that I am keeping my Ipad II. I would even go further to suggest that I might even prefer to buy a NEW IPAD II rather than an IPAD IV, because the II is significantly less money and still very nice. But then, I am waiting for the next generation ping driver to come out in the hope that the ones that are three generations old (still available new, to replace my current 10+ generation-old driver) will be within my price range. And, I am looking to purchase a samsung galaxy II because it is a lot cheaper than the galaxy III.

I am starting to appreciate good enough when I can save a little money.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lets also add that even when the iPad 2 gets to unsupported status, it will still work and be quite useful.

Is there a reason why an unsupported device still can't get most new apps or whatever?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And not just apple. It has gotten so expected and some people fill forums like these with profanity that apple/samsung/htc/etc... stop providing indefinite releases of software for their systems purchase a couple of years ago. When did this become expected?

Never a doubt, in my mind, that I am keeping my Ipad II. I would even go further to suggest that I might even prefer to buy a NEW IPAD II rather than an IPAD IV, because the II is significantly less money and still very nice. But then, I am waiting for the next generation ping driver to come out in the hope that the ones that are three generations old (still available new, to replace my current 10+ generation-old driver) will be within my price range. And, I am looking to purchase a samsung galaxy II because it is a lot cheaper than the galaxy III.

I am starting to appreciate good enough when I can save a little money.

Sometime in 2010, someone bought a set of TaylorMade R9 TP irons for around $900 then paid another $50+ to have them regripped. They turned up in my local golf shop last month for $250, so now they're in my bag. I like "obsolete". It saves me money.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lets also add that even when the iPad 2 gets to unsupported status, it will still work and be quite useful.

Is there a reason why an unsupported device still can't get most new apps or whatever?

Because developers will increasingly build apps to take advantage of newer hardware, which will increasingly overtax old hardware. Which apps and when they lose support will vary. Newer firmware also is required for some apps.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Be honest. If you already have an iPad 2 it does everything you use it for now. When you want to something new or differently it may not - then you evaluate if what you want to do is worth the cost of a new device. If you use it for Internet, forums, iMessage, reading books, listening to music, watching videos, email etc then an iPad 2 will be fine for quite a while. But getting a new one now, for the cost of $150.00, the iPad 4 makes sense. You will have better video recording, better FaceTime video, able to upgrade and use ALL of the latest iOS features for some time to come. If, however, you have a hard time justifying the money then don't get the iPad 4 and you will be happy with what you've received as an incredible gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts