What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad GPS

Wetstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Seadog for the tip. You cannot beat 3-bucks .. cheaper than a coffee if it's NoGo. I gather you better find a wifi source so you do not use up all your data-minutes downloading the charts. Got marine stuff too... FUN..

Cheers.

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is suppose to be a new GPS program out in iTunes today. I know little about it yet, but it appears to be highly regarded. From what I do understand, it is $2.99 and uses Bing for maps. I think it is called Motion-X.

I have MotionX GPS on my iPhone and it is a great app. This is not a turn-by-turn driving app, however. It is geared for hiking or marine use. MotionX does have a turn-by-turn driving app for the iPhone called MotionX Drive. It is also $2.99 but voice directions cost extra. I think it is $24per year. It does require a 3G connection. It works on the iPad, but in iPhone mode (small screen). I am waiting for a native iPad version.

Hopkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the maps app this week, I was amazed how accurate it was and it tracked me as good as our in-car gps navigation system. I have the 3G iPad but no ATT&T data plan, I was using a Verizon mi-fi wireless to the iPad.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Then the iPad 3G has some type of GPS hardware built into it where the WiFi only doesn't.

Just another reason for them to drop the WiFi only all together.
Better to have both. Some regions don't have 3G, some don't even have basic cell! Other places are too deep underground. But you can set up wifi anywhere. Just sayin'...
I think the trick is that the cellular connection assists to pinpoint you before the accuracy of the GPS kicks in.

I've had lots of devices that didn't use assisted GPS, instead just "pure" GPS and the connection times lasted SEVERAL minutes.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just completed a 4000 mile round trip with my 3G ipad and used maps the whole way. The GPS was flawless most of the time. Had a one day glitch where it couldn't detect my location for some reason. I tried using co-pilot and for days it wouldn't even open. My AT&T navigator app that I use on my iphone, worked fine on my ipad when I tried it, but I used the google maps app 95% of the time. That was because I was the navigator while my husband was driving. If I'd been alone turn by turn with the AT&T app would have been my choice.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a standalone GPS app, I am finding the Motion-X to be a good buy at $3. I am waiting to see what is said about the driving app for iPad when it comes out, but I sure would not pay $24/year for speaking directions. I might pay to remove it from my Garmin tho.:)

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just completed a 4000 mile round trip with my 3G ipad and used maps the whole way. The GPS was flawless most of the time. Had a one day glitch where it couldn't detect my location for some reason. I tried using co-pilot and for days it wouldn't even open. My AT&T navigator app that I use on my iphone, worked fine on my ipad when I tried it, but I used the google maps app 95% of the time. That was because I was the navigator while my husband was driving. If I'd been alone turn by turn with the AT&T app would have been my choice.

What do you mean " Copilot wouldn't even open"?

It wouldn't load?

FASTER345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apps had trouble opening today when I went to the car and was out of WiFi range. So I couldn't start the Motion-X app I bought a few days ago. It worked fine the day before, VERY accurately traced my path, so much so that the line is on either side of the street depending on which direction you are travelling. It even traced my path inside a huge parking structure. And all without activating 3G. This app is cool but the fact that I couldn't open it today was upsetting, something to do with the WiFi searching for a signal perhaps?

And on Maps, it kept telling me that it couldn't make a connection or something, I'd hit dismiss and it was ok for a few seconds, is there a way to tell it to stop trying to connect and just go with the GPS signal I wonder? Cheers.

josephnjoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I use this GPS if I don't subscribe to a data plan? Is there an app I can get that will let me preload the maps that wont have to use wifi/3g on the road. Want to use my ipad2 as a gps for driving directions because of large screen and light. Voice directions included would be terrific!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
josephnjoy said:
How do I use this GPS if I don't subscribe to a data plan? Is there an app I can get that will let me preload the maps that wont have to use wifi/3g on the road. Want to use my ipad2 as a gps for driving directions because of large screen and light. Voice directions included would be terrific!

GPS functionality is not dependant on 3G or wifi. The GPS circuitry shares the 3G chip but doesn't use the 3G element. So, you can use any GPS Apps without a data plan.

The Archangel

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Going back a few posts. Do the US military really allow their ground troops to use their mobile cell phones on patrol! The Taliban must really love being able to trace exactly where they are at any time!

Most reactions

Latest posts