What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Bluetooth GPS

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the non-3G iPad hence it is also sans GPS, one of the more disappointing aspects of the iPad model line up.

I tried connecting to a Bluetooth GPS that I happen to have but no luck, the iPad didn't even see it.

I have heard that there are some Apps that can make this work but that you have to jailbreak the iPad to use them, which I don't really want to do.

Is it likely that iOS 4.2 will provide more general Bluetooth functionality? Is there any chance that a more complete set of Bluetooth services will be available?

I would also like to connect to my 3G phone via Bluetooth and use it as a modem but I think that the situation is much the same.

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of these things are possible BUT requires a jailbroken ipad.

"Is it likely that iOS 4.2 will provide more general Bluetooth functionality?"

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All of these things are possible BUT requires a jailbroken ipad.

"Is it likely that iOS 4.2 will provide more general Bluetooth functionality?"

Thanks, I just paired the iPad with my Windows Mobile phone (by searching from the phone) but it refuses to actually "connect". Basically, after pairing, no services are available for selection (on my phone).

I don't understand why Apple would restrict Bluetooth connectivity this way.

Last edited:

willowtree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
I have the non-3G iPad hence it is also sans GPS, one of the more disappointing aspects of the iPad model line up.

I tried connecting to a Bluetooth GPS that I happen to have but no luck, the iPad didn't even see it.

I have heard that there are some Apps that can make this work but that you have to jailbreak the iPad to use them, which I don't really want to do.

Is it likely that iOS 4.2 will provide more general Bluetooth functionality? Is there any chance that a more complete set of Bluetooth services will be available?

I would also like to connect to my 3G phone via Bluetooth and use it as a modem but I think that the situation is much the same.

its an old thread, but I just purchased a GNS 1000 ipad, iphone, etc. bluetooth compatible gps.
IPad 2 saw it but timed out while I looked for the passcode. Now it wont see it again.
Any suggestions?

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have much suggestions on your problem (you're probably one of the very first of us to have one of these), but please let us know how you get on with it. It does look interesting. One thing that comes to mind is that of doing the hard restart - holding home and on/off buttons until the apple logo comes onto the screen. Check the bluetooth section in general settings.

What mapping/gps software or apps do you plan to use with this device on the iPad?? Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Latest posts