What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad for Home Automation

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-home-automation.jpg

Is the iPad the perfect home automation device? Granted, dedicated devices exist that will give the iPad a run for it's money, but the build quality and great screen of the iPad combined with the multi-touch makes it a great fit for home automation.

Alan Graham from BoingBoing.net seems to think so and is the first person I know using it for that purpose. Be sure to click the link for the full article on what he's been up to:

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/24/ipad-home-automation.htm

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is the most dicombobulated set of home control electronics I have ever seen.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure it works great - its just a bit over qualified for the job. :)

I would feel sorry for my iPad if it spent its days mounted to the wall like that :(

sandra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your link to BoingBoing fails on my PC. :confused:

on my PC it fails too:(..
anyway, I think it`s an interesting idea and a very creative approach to use the iPad.
Besides, I`ve recently watched a vid showing how iPad wad mounted into a kitchen cabinet, just for the hell of it..Well, this seems to me a bit pointless, but if to make it able control all the house electronics I think this idea`s not bad:)

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
likely we'll see more and more home automation and similar type apps become available for the iPad sooner than later, it really is the perfect device for such tasks

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy
I just registered here to post this.

savantav.com

There was a working iPad app for sale the day it was launched.
There has been iPhone apps for a long time and there are in-wall ipad docks out now too,I have a few on my truck.

An automation system can use the iPad as an interface but the automating would be done with other system components.

The best feature of the Savant solutions is that they are entirely Mac based unlike any other similar systems.

The stuff looks and works great but is not for everyone.

Ed

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mounting the iPad on a wall for home automation is folly, but as a way to make events occur from within the home, and from without. Make a crackpot start, turn on lights, record TV shows when you get stuck in traffic or at work are only a few ways it could be used.

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mounting the iPad on a wall for home automation is folly, but as a way to make events occur from within the home, and from without. Make a crackpot start, turn on lights, record TV shows when you get stuck in traffic or at work are only a few ways it could be used.

Huh?

nursedude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny...whenever I want to make a crackpot start I usually just post something like: "Steve Jobs uses Windows 7". and "poof" there it goes. <g>

Most reactions