What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make Any iBook Into An Audiobook For Free On iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

The other day I was reading an iBook and wondered if there was an easier way to do this. I know you can download audiobooks and have books read to you through specific applications but how about one that just requires and iPhone, iPod touch, or an iPad and is free? Well you basically have an audiobook or auto-reader feature within the VoiceOver setting.

By enabling Triple-Click home to turn on VoiceOver or Ask To Turn On VoiceOver, you can easily access an automated reader. Open up an iBook or any text on your iDevice and turn VoiceOver on. Afterwards, take two fingers, tap on one of the lines of text and swipe down. It might take you a few tries and probably not the best gesture for Apple to choose, but hey, it's all we've got. Once VoiceOver starts reading to you more than one line at a time you know you've got it down. This feature will also turn pages for you so there's no need to have your device out.

The automated reading is pretty fast and understandable, though it did take a few pages for me to catch on. This is great for slow readers or people who just want to listen to their book on audio. If you have a big reading project due with a ton of pages to read, also a perfect tool. Very satisfied with finding this feature, as a slow reader, it helps greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:

uimalis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no idea you could do that! Very useful, thank you.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great idea thanks, if you play around with the speed in settings, it gives you a better reading experience.

rosskin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got an iPad 1. I can't find the voice Over settings. I' m running ios5. Any suggestions

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rosskin said:
I've got an iPad 1. I can't find the voice Over settings. I' m running ios5. Any suggestions

Go to Settings>General>Accessability and it should be the top option.

The Archangel

rosskin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rosskin said:
Thanks very much.

Works a treat on email and web pages - if a bit fast even with the speed setting at tortoise! Can't get it to work on iBooks. Any further suggestions?

Most reactions

Latest posts