What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad for free calling

rtemi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody knows how I can use my iPad 3 like phone .. Thank you .

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can download the free Skype app, to talk or video call anyone else with Skype. If the person you want to call also has an Apple device ie, Touch, iPad or iPhone, then you can communicate through FaceTime. Both options are free over wifi.

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the post starter is looking for a way of using ipad as a cell phone (or just any telephone) to actually call people. I suspect the answer is no way, but would like to hear if there is way.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be great though! I sortof wish we could do like the VoIP type calling using those companies out there that do it over PCs. Or even if I was able to use the cellular service on my iPad when you activate the 3G/4G monthly rate. I only need a cell for emergencies, so even the pay as you go stuff never gets used up by us before it expires.

Tudor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out Truphone, though not exactly free, I've made calls from UK, US, Spain, France, Malta etc.

OP
rtemi

rtemi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tudor said:
Check out Truphone, though not exactly free, I've made calls from UK, US, Spain, France, Malta etc.

Thank you Todur, I am surprising why it is not absolutely free although we have 3G SIM card inside, if you search for an application or calling free, they ask you for money, what is a tricky solution by Apple?!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The netTALK app offers free wifi calls to anywhere in the US and Canada, with some limits on total minutes per call and per month. It works fine using just the iPad mic and speaker.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lanny, I just installed/used the netTALK to call my friend from my ipad and it worked! (except I still don't know how to adjust mic?) Just wonder if I can get a number for my ipad so people can call me to my ipad? And I saw no where the co states limits on total minutes per call and per month? Can you verify? Thanks

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember when (whistle) use to be great for making phone calls i dont belive its free anymore i could be wrong though never hurt to double check though

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Fiat, netTALK is outgoing-only, it cannot answer incoming calls or be assigned a phone number. You get 50 minutes of free calling per month, per the FAQ in the app. There also used to be a limit of 30 minutes per call, but that may no longer apply.

Obviously, netTALK isn't gonna replace your phone. It's a handy tool for certain situations, such as calling ahead for reservations on a vacation to the other side of the US/Canada border. My guess: they want to sell you a VOIP box for your home or business, and the free app is a good way to demo their quality of service and build brand recognition.

I used it to test a new home phone system, by calling my own number to assess the voice quality and exercise all the features.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions

Latest posts