What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad For Contractor?

bjb148

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend of mine needs a new laptop for use on construction sites. He's been admiring my IPad 2 but he's afraid the heavy use in a construction environment (historic restoration, etc.) would be too much for it. He's tech savvy and already relies heavily on a laptop for all on site work. Any ideas for the suitability of an IPad for him?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bjb148 said:
A friend of mine needs a new laptop for use on construction sites. He's been admiring my IPad 2 but he's afraid the heavy use in a construction environment (historic restoration, etc.) would be too much for it. He's tech savvy and already relies heavily on a laptop for all on site work. Any ideas for the suitability of an IPad for him?

I work in construction (project manager) and use my iPad and I've had no problems whatsoever, you just need to be sensible.......I wouldn't use it to hammer in a nail or prop up a lintel!

The Archangel

OP
B

bjb148

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey thx for the quick replies! His worry is about wear & tear, dirt and grime. He's afraid he'd need a new one in a couple of months lol.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As already suggested, Otterbox are good cases to look into. Rugged and durable enough for a site...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bjb148 said:
Hey thx for the quick replies! His worry is about wear & tear, dirt and grime. He's afraid he'd need a new one in a couple of months lol.

From my experience you get a lot more dirt and grime inside a laptop, when our IT guys strip a well used laptop down it is packed with all kinds of dust. There are so many entry points, keyboard, disk drives, connections, card readers, etc. There are very few entry points by comparison on the iPad. I just use the Apple Case with mine but the more rugged cases may be better depending on his needs.

The Archangel

Avionyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a truck driver I work in pretty heavy duty environment, I have tried the Otterbox cases and they are great but a little bit too utilitarian looking for my taste.

I find the Spek PixelSkin HD range to be great though. Had one on my iPhone4 since release and it protects it great. Got one on pre-order for the iPad2 as well. Could be worth a look?

Most reactions

Latest posts