What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Easal/Tripod?

ItsLukw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

For my A2 Product Design course I have decided to make an iPad easal/tripod. It will be sturdy, having three legs, spiked feet for stability, and will be able to hold the iPad securely at the top using some kind of clamping system. Other features include:

-Storage for iPad stylus users
-Compact and able to fold down into a small space for ease of movement
-Telescopic legs for adjustable height

I woud like to know what your thoughts, ideas and opinions are of my product. Just leave a reply to this thread. Also, you can leave suggestions/improvements if you want.
Thank you for your time and viewing this thread!

-Luke

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should provide a stable pivot point for taking panoramic photos and movies with the iPad's camera.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen many tripods for iPads and iPhones and I'd suggest that you compare what's out there vs. what you can add to differentiate your product. I'd also suggest that weight and flexible use would be key.

If you make a product that can somehow fit most iPads in their existing cases, then you'll have a much wider market than if you make a tripod that forces iPad owners to ditch their current cases and buy yours. Because no matter what case you offered, users will have wide preferences, and many will not ditch cases that they already like, just to use a tripod, which most people don't need all the time. (Of course, there are users who really need a tripod for frequent use, but that's a much narrower market.) If you make a lightweight tripod that can easily attach and unattach from most cases, you will have a better shot at a broad range of buyers.

Even better, if you can make a flexible tripod that can somehow easily attach and adapt to a wide range of cars, as well as work for photos and videos elsewhere. Most people will not go through the effort and cost of getting their cars set up for iPads, because most don't have enough need for one, and most people don't want to leave their iPads permanently hooked up to their cars. If you made such a two-fer product, you'd give people incentive to by a lightweight tripod/car mount even in cases when they wouldn't necessarily buy either a tripod or a car mount alone.

OP
I

ItsLukw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an excellent idea, thank you so much. I will be sure to try to include this in my product.

Thanks again for your contribution!

-Luke

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ItsLukw, a couple of good suggestions from LannyC and KayKayKay, above.
I was thinking, if you are talking tripods, that is what photographers use for their cameras (ie other than iPads) for telephoto, night shots etc. If you were to include a clamp to take the standard screw thread to attach a camera, you could well be opening a much larger market for your tripod. Just a thought:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
I

ItsLukw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ItsLukw, a couple of good suggestions from LannyC and KayKayKay, above.
I was thinking, if you are talking tripods, that is what photographers use for their cameras (ie other than iPads) for telephoto, night shots etc. If you were to include a clamp to take the standard screw thread to attach a camera, you could well be opening a much larger market for your tripod. Just a thought:)
Andrew

Hi andrew, so you are saying I should widen my market to all cameras? I think that this would be good if I were to make as much money as possible, but considering my product is for artists mainly, would this be necessary? It is a good idea, I shall investigate this as it would be interesting to find out if I could widen my market. Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestion!
-Luke

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could make a tripod that works with iPads as well as standard cameras just by having a mount that detaches and is replaceable by a camera mount, for instance.

IMO this will widen your market, but not by much. I say that because photo aficionados will not be the same people who are using iPads for much, if any, photo-taking, because the photo quality of an iPad is lame compared with any decent camera. People who would carry a tripod along with camera gear will typically want a real tripod and already own one.

If you do offer a camera mount as well as an iPad mount, I wouldn't include it. I'd offer as an optional purchase, because you'll keep your price point lower, and that's key. Also, many people no longer use standard cameras at all, because they've gone with the convenience of their phone cameras, and those customers will not want to pay more for an included camera mount that they will not use.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Luke, we have just deleted your other thread which is a continuation of this discussion. Please keep your posts about this project to this thread to avoid fragmentation and duplication of the discussion.

The Archangel

OP
I

ItsLukw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Luke, we have just deleted your other thread which is a continuation of this discussion. Please keep your posts about this project to this thread to avoid fragmentation and duplication of the discussion.

The Archangel

Ah okay, sorry! :)

OP
I

ItsLukw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could make a tripod that works with iPads as well as standard cameras just by having a mount that detaches and is replaceable by a camera mount, for instance.

IMO this will widen your market, but not by much. I say that because photo aficionados will not be the same people who are using iPads for much, if any, photo-taking, because the photo quality of an iPad is lame compared with any decent camera. People who would carry a tripod along with camera gear will typically want a real tripod and already own one.

If you do offer a camera mount as well as an iPad mount, I wouldn't include it. I'd offer as an optional purchase, because you'll keep your price point lower, and that's key. Also, many people no longer use standard cameras at all, because they've gone with the convenience of their phone cameras, and those customers will not want to pay more for an included camera mount that they will not use.

Okay. So you are saying that my product should not widen its market to usual camera users as the chances are they will already own a tripod?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. So you are saying that my product should not widen its market to usual camera users as the chances are they will already own a tripod?

As I said: IMO this will widen your market, but not by much.

OP
I

ItsLukw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that you guys are almost missing the point a bit.

My product is aimed at artists who like to use their iPads to paint pictures. (Digital artists). I simply wanted to know what you thought of the idea.

-Luke

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

My product is aimed at artists who like to use their iPads to paint pictures. (Digital artists). I simply wanted to know what you thought of the idea.

-Luke

You are fortunate to have received this much attention to a potential product that you are developing. You have requested members thoughts on a product development here, so please consider the time they have given to you upon your request.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

-Luke

I think your product idea is narrow and won't succeed. That's why I suggested as I did. But you're welcome to prove me wrong, of course.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score

-Luke

Hi Luke, here's my two cents worth. Just make an attachment for the iPad that will fit existing tripods. Most people who have a film camera, or digital for that matter already own a tripod. Just sayin' 8)

Most reactions