What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad droid tether??

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The LG Optimus series can do WiFi tether without rooting. I do it with an Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. You can use the Quick Settings or Hotspot Widget apps to do it. I believe the Nexus One and Nexus S can also do it. Basically, any vanilla Android 2.2 (or higher) can do non-rooted tether. Most carriers block it but they don't block all phones. I also think the Palm Pixi can do it on Verizon, as a non-Android phone.[/QUOTE]

That's great but this is a specific thread about tethering a Droid & iPad. No one's been able to back up their claims that it is possible by stating specifically what PdaNet download was used.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joey301 said:
Wrong. Pdanet works just fine over Bluetooth Dial Up Networking (DUN). It does NOT require a USB connection. I use it on my wife's WiFi only iPad and my Droid Incredible (not rooted) all of the time. Please do your homework before you give out wrong answers.

How did you do this? My iPad will not connect via bluetooth to my Droid, the link just won't work?

Thx[/QUOTE]

I actually paired my Droid x and ipad together....I had a code pop up on both screens at the same time so I hit pair and they both said paired but also said not connected

gcsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My jailbroken ipad2 says "Pairing not successful. 'ADR6300' not supported" when i try to bluetooth connect the ipad and my rooted droid incredible. any suggestions? If i can ever get em together, i can use pdanet to tether. afraid "wifi tether" is going to get me in trouble with the cell provider. i think pdnet is supposed to be more invisible.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My jailbroken ipad2 says "Pairing not successful. 'ADR6300' not supported" when i try to bluetooth connect the ipad and my rooted droid incredible. any suggestions? If i can ever get em together, i can use pdanet to tether. afraid "wifi tether" is going to get me in trouble with the cell provider. i think pdnet is supposed to be more invisible.

iPad does not tether via Bluetooth. You need to root your droid or pay the service fee for wifi tethering.

anotherlab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PdaNet won't work, as it requires a USB connection to the device that requires internet.

You will need to Root the phone to get SuperUser Access and install a WiFi tether program.

(Took me 10 minutes to root my Droid)

Wrong. Pdanet works just fine over Bluetooth Dial Up Networking (DUN). It does NOT require a USB connection. I use it on my wife's WiFi only iPad and my Droid Incredible (not rooted) all of the time. Please do your homework before you give out wrong answers.

Can you give details? I have PDAnet on my Droid Incredible and when I turn on bluetooth tethering and then tell the iPad to connect nothing happens. They never find each other. Is there a setting on the iPad that tells it that it's a client and not a host?

Considering that Robert Basil never responded to any of our requests for more details, consider this to be a dead end. I'm going on the assumption that he was mistaken. The Bluetooth network stack in the iPad is very limited, it doesn't have the functionality for using another device's network connection.

I have used a wifi hotspot on my Droid 2 Global with my iPad and it worked just fine. If you jailbreak your iPad, you should be able to tether over BlueTooth if you get iBlueVer to connect to PdaNet running on your phone.

gcsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdanet droid and ipad

anotherlab

I think you've hit on the solution, and I was about to download the trial version of ibluver to my jail broken ipad when I decided to first investigate getting pdanet onto my rooted droid.
I followed a link for a direct download, [forum wouldn't let me post it] But it just offers "Download for Windows or Mac". seems it's designed to run with windows or Mac.
If i have to I can download it to my windows laptop and install it on my droid from there, but then once I've run it on my droid is that all i.e. should my jail broken ipad, once ibluever is installed and assuming it recognizes my droid, then be automatically connected to the phone's 3G?
Maybe it doesn't matter. just download it to my droid and see what happens? download it to my computer and install it from there on my droid and see what happens? I assume that whatever i do, I won't need to install
anything from pdanet on my jailbroken ipad.
Anyone have any ideas before I start experimenting?

anotherlab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will need to install PdaNet from the Android market, the Windows and Mac apps are clients that let your PC connect to your phone,

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pastorsteve said:
The LG Optimus series can do WiFi tether without rooting. I do it with an Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. You can use the Quick Settings or Hotspot Widget apps to do it. I believe the Nexus One and Nexus S can also do it. Basically, any vanilla Android 2.2 (or higher) can do non-rooted tether. Most carriers block it but they don't block all phones. I also think the Palm Pixi can do it on Verizon, as a non-Android phone.

That's great but this is a specific thread about tethering a Droid & iPad. No one's been able to back up their claims that it is possible by stating specifically what PdaNet download was used.[/QUOTE]

Actually Verizon activates the palm pixi with free hotspot. My Blackberry was acting up, so I bought a new Palm Pixi Plus that required no contract from Amazon.com for $37.00 When I called Verizon they informed me that the Palm Pixi receives free hotspot activation. Ive used it and it works fine.....too bad the Palm Pixi is so tiny....I will use it until October and then buy either the Motorola Bionic, Samsung Galaxy S2, or the new iPhone, since this is when my contract is eligible for full discount renewal.

gcsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting pdanet on my droid FOR IPAD

"That's great but this is a specific thread about tethering a Droid & iPad. No one's been able to back up their claims that it is possible by stating specifically what PdaNet download was used."

A-men to this statement. I really need to hear from someone WHO"S ACTUALLY DONE IT to take me through the steps to get pdanet on my droid. If you haven't actually done it, advice is not going to help much. Yes, I've installed it on my previous droid through a usb connection to my laptop, but that's not helping me figure out how to get it on my droid current without a windows USB installation

gcsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Followup to my own last comment

"That's great but this is a specific thread about tethering a Droid & iPad. No one's been able to back up their claims that it is possible by stating specifically what PdaNet download was used."

A-men to this statement. I really need to hear from someone WHO"S ACTUALLY DONE IT to take me through the steps to get pdanet on my droid. If you haven't actually done it, advice is not going to help much. Yes, I've installed it on my previous droid through a usb connection to my laptop, but that's not helping me figure out how to get it on my droid current without a windows USB installation

I knew what I wanted to say but wasn't sure how. here it is from another site..."one would need a client application to run on the ipad" ￿ Since pdanet only runs on laptops or computers running windows or apple's OSX, how is it going to run on ipad's IOS.

anotherlab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I knew what I wanted to say but wasn't sure how. here it is from another site..."one would need a client application to run on the ipad" ￿ Since pdanet only runs on laptops or computers running windows or apple's OSX, how is it going to run on ipad's IOS.

The PDAnet app runs on Android and some other smartphones. It is available through the Amazon Market place, just search for PdaNet. It allows data service tethering over a USB connection or Bluetooth DUN. For the USB connection, you need to get the PdaNet Desktop (Windows or Mac), which provides a network adapter to the OS that uses the USB connection.

For Bluetooth, you need a device that supports Bluetooth DUN. The Bluetooth stack that comes with the iPad has no support for DUN. The iPad/iPod Touch Bluetooth stack is limited by design to only work with keyboards (and other input devices) and headphones. That's it.

Another poster earlier in this thread said that Bluetooth networking would work with a stock iPad. He was wrong and has made no attempt to explain how he did this, despite several requests for clarification. I think it's strange that he made those statements and never responded to any request for specific details.

If you do jailbreak your iPad, there is a app called iBluever that provides a Bluetooth networking stack with DUN support. It is listed as being compatible with PdaNet. I no longer JB my iOS devices, so I have not personally tried it.

You can wifi tether an iPad (or any other device with wifi support) without jail breaking it. Enabling a wifi hotspot on your phone may require rooting and/or violating your phone contract. Your mileage may vary. If you go the legal route, I have used my iPad on the mobile hotspot on the Droid X and it worked very well. For a while, I rooted my Droid 2 Global and used the Google wifi hotspot app and that worked good enough. It drained the battery on the phone very quickly, so I stopped using it and unrooted.

Grezgorz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been able to connect my stock IPad 2 and stock Droid x via Bluetooth DUN and have been able to use pdanet 3.02 without issue. But I can't do the same with my incredible. With that phone I have the paired but can not connect issue. The x is running gingerbread but the incredible is still using froyo. I am not sure if this makes the difference.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

gcsimpson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDnet,bluetooth DUN and froyo incredible

I have been able to connect my stock IPad 2 and stock Droid x via Bluetooth DUN and have been able to use pdanet 3.02 without issue. But I can't do the same with my incredible. With that phone I have the paired but can not connect issue. The x is running gingerbread but the incredible is still using froyo. I am not sure if this makes the difference.

Any ideas?

Same result with DUN and PDAnet and my rooted incredible running froyo. I rooted my Incredible just for this. Can froyo be updated on the Incredible?

anotherlab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to try that with my Droid 2 Global. How do you get the Bluetooth DUN to work on a stock iPad?

Any ideas?

Most reactions