What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad droid tether??

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But you have to pay for it, right?

PDANet, yes, it cost me about 24$ a few months ago.

Software to root your Android phone? Nope...you can find it all free on the net, thanks to the active development community.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm well aware that it doesn't cost money to root and wifi tether your Droid. ;) I used to maintain a blog just about the Droid and I used to write news articles for AllDroid.

droid-does.blogspot.com

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm well aware that it doesn't cost money to root and wifi tether your Droid. ;) I used to maintain a blog just about the Droid and I used to write news articles for AllDroid.

droid-does.blogspot.com

I figured, but was just responding to"But you have to pay for it, right?"

(should have quoted it.....)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol

I was responding to the guy above me that said he uses the built in tethering on the Nexus One. :)

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt: when you suggested 3GS , does it mean that the samsung galaxy is not capable of tethering wifi?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I'm sorry, you can root the Galaxy and install WiFi tether.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got another question. I understand that If one tether's their phone, it will serve as a router. My question is, is this free? Or it will use a 3G connection? Thanks.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It uses a 3G connection. It doesn't really serve as a router, more as a WiFi hotspot would be a better description.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I get it. So if I tether it is like making a 3G call. Thanks, thanks.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmm....not really. It's like surfing the internet on your phone, only exporting that particular capability to a WiFi hotspot, in which your iPad can take advantage of.

anotherlab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use Pdanet and don't have to root Android or jailbreak your iPad. It works great with Android 2.2 and 2.1

Robert,

How are you getting PdaNet to work with your iPad? I would love to be able use PdaNet with my wife's DroidX and my WiFi only iPad.

thanks,
Chris

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use Pdanet and don't have to root Android or jailbreak your iPad. It works great with Android 2.2 and 2.1

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

PdaNet won't work, as it requires a USB connection to the device that requires internet.

You will need to Root the phone to get SuperUser Access and install a WiFi tether program.

(Took me 10 minutes to root my Droid)

Wrong. Pdanet works just fine over Bluetooth Dial Up Networking (DUN). It does NOT require a USB connection. I use it on my wife's WiFi only iPad and my Droid Incredible (not rooted) all of the time. Please do your homework before you give out wrong answers.

Can you give details? I have PDAnet on my Droid Incredible and when I turn on bluetooth tethering and then tell the iPad to connect nothing happens. They never find each other. Is there a setting on the iPad that tells it that it's a client and not a host?

raceman94

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this on the Apple Discussion page. Guess we're screwed!

"You will not manage to pair - the bluetooth profile is for headsets only and file transfer is not supported at all. No workarounds.

This is identical to the iPhone. "

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where can I find Pdanet. Is this it's actual name or does it exist under a pseudonym?
Thanks,
Peter

Most reactions