What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad doesn't show up in itunes

linsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I plug the ipad into the computer ipad does not show up under devices. I know the pc is reading the ipad because it asks if i want to transfer pictures (& other picture related questions). When I plug in the ipod itunes shows in under devices. Why does the ipad not show up under devices in itunes?

Raceguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I synched my iPhone but my iPad is a no show. I have the latest iTunes but have not installed IOS5. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ed

OP
linsipad

linsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had someone who is very familiar with Apple products & itunes look at it & he didn't know. He just said that the ipad should show up in the left column under devices (like the ipod does). Maybe someone will come along in the forum who can help us.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The usuals things to try:

Make sure you are running the most recent version of iTunes.

Try a different USB port.

Restart the computer.

Reset the iPad: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

If you are on Windows, there are USB drivers and something called iTunes Helper that need to be installed, or possibly de-installed and re-installed. I can't help beyond giving you the names. I'm not even sure I can find my netbook under the clutter. ;)

OP
linsipad

linsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't think I have the latest version of itunes. I was afraid that would force me to upgrade to ios5. And I didn't have a problem with the ipod. Will the latest version of itunes create an upgrade to ios5?

Raceguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I synched my iPhone 3G first and iTunes updated to the latest. Then I plugged in my iPad and I can see my iPad in Windows (XP) Explorer as a camera only. iTunes does not show the iPad. I restarted my pc with no change so I restarted my iPad, again with no connection to iTunes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Beyond what I've already suggested, all I can recommend is that you do a search of the forum or Google for the iTunes helper and USB driver problems I described. It's been covered before, so I know it is out there. This problem pops up fairly often on windows, especially the older versions, especial especially with 64 bit versions.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts