What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 shows up on one computer but not the other

lrc123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First here's the tech specs.
My iPad is an iPad 2 and is the 32GB Wi-Fi only version running iOS 4.3.5.
My laptop is a Toshiba Satelllite L505 running Windows 7.
My desktop is a Compaq Presario SR1726NX running Windows XP.

I plugged my iPad into my laptop tonight and it doesn't show up at all. Not in iTunes. Not in devices currently connected to my computer. Nowhere. And believe me I looked. I should add that this is the first time I have installed iTunes on my laptop and the first time I have plugged my iPad into my laptop. I'd just plugged it into my desktop before, but wanted to put pictures on my iPad which are only on my laptop. I have plugged my iPod into my laptop numerous times in the past to charge it and it always registers no problem. So I plugged it in and it showed right up. And it's not either of the USB ports, because when I plugged my iPod into both ports to make sure they where working, it showed up no problem with both ports. It's not the USB cable either, because I plugged in my iPod using the iPad's USB cable and my iPod showed up. But when I plugged in my iPad using the iPod's USB cable, nada. When I plug my iPad into my laptop it does however make the little kind of "boomp" noise it always makes when something is plugged into one of the USB ports, such as my iPod or a USB drive. But like I said, it doesn't register my iPad at all. And it also makes that little "boomp" noise when I unplug it, just like it does when I unplug anything else from either of the USB ports. But it doesn't go beyond making that noise when I plug it in. Now normally when I plug something into either of my USB ports, I always get a message asking me what I want to do with the data
on whatever I just plugged in. Open the data somewhere special, etc. But not with my iPad.

But when I plug my iPad into my desktop, it shows up just fine and dandy, no problem and I get the message asking me what I want to do with the data on my iPad. And my iPod shows up just fine too. And that version of iTunes isn't even the latest version either! The reason I haven't upgraded to the latest version on my desktop is because it's really my family computer and I share it with several other people and downloads take a while because of all the data on it. I have babied my iPad ever since I got it, no drops or falls, no extreme temperatures changes, nothing. And it is not jailbroken either and I have never attempted to jailbreak it. My iPad otherwise is running very well with no problems or hiccups or anything. I have googled the heck out of this and tried what I saw suggested to absolutely no avail. I would really appreciate some help. I hope that I explained things clearly. If you need any more details or need me to clarify something or explain something, please tell me!

Last edited:

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me last week. I'd plug the iPad in, but my iTunes didn't recognize the device. I ended up having to upgrade

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, hit sent prematurely.... I ended up upgrading iTunes and then it showed up. Also make sure your computer is authorized for the iPad. I kind of fixed this issue by accident so I'm not totally clear how I did it. I just know I had to do something with iTunes. Hope this points you in a good direction!

Most reactions

Latest posts