What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad dock keyboard vs bluetooth keyboard

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone used Apples Bluetooth keyboard?

I'm thinking about going this route but wonder how fast it connects? If I have to going in and change settings etc each time then may go with the dock. If it is just a matter of turning the keyboard on and you are connected then will probably go with the bluetooth.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad keyboard

Has anyone used Apples Bluetooth keyboard?

I'm thinking about going this route but wonder how fast it connects? If I have to going in and change settings etc each time then may go with the dock. If it is just a matter of turning the keyboard on and you are connected then will probably go with the bluetooth.

I suggest you to wait and don't buy the key board attached to the dock i don't think that will be easy to use at all .... if you wana type siting on the sofa you can't ..... i am pretty sure Apple bluetooth keyboard will work with iPad

OP
F

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipadone,

Not buying anything right away, I think we will be so busy trying everything out that will have no need of a keyboard until we get some hard reviews. Just wondering how well the bluetooth board works. This time next week we will be in info overload.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The bluetooth board works great on the MacBook line - connects almost instantly - very easy configuration. I would assume the same for the iPad.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad keyboard

The bluetooth board works great on the MacBook line - connects almost instantly - very easy configuration. I would assume the same for the iPad.

my one connect fast too even my crapy magic mousse connect immediately

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't get the keyboard stand....you can only use it portrait....how often will you type in portrait....I think the BT keyboard and the case that lets you prop it landscape is the way to go.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it depends on your style. If the screen in large enough I would certainly type in portrait - but watch video in landscape

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Apple bluetooth keyboard for it. I just wanna wait and see how typing on the actual device is first. I can normally type about 85+ words a minute on a standard keyboard... so if I can type about half that fast on the soft keyboard I don't see any reason why I would "need" an external keyboard. If typing on the soft keyboard is cumbersome though then I'm sure I'll get the bluetooth keyboard.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to wait as well. If I have any issues with the VK then I can just pick up the BT keyboard at the apple store.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Apple bluetooth keyboard for it. I just wanna wait and see how typing on the actual device is first. I can normally type about 85+ words a minute on a standard keyboard... so if I can type about half that fast on the soft keyboard I don't see any reason why I would "need" an external keyboard. If typing on the soft keyboard is cumbersome though then I'm sure I'll get the bluetooth keyboard.

Same, I only ordered the case that leans it to make typing easier...I figure if I want a keyboard I would get a laptop! Kinda defeats the purpose.

AppHut

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Same, I only ordered the case that leans it to make typing easier...I figure if I want a keyboard I would get a laptop! Kinda defeats the purpose.

Hmm...I see your point - but my plan for the iPad is to get a case that lets it stand portrait or landscape and get a bluetooth keyboard. I'm planning to do alot of note taking on it and I just can't see a soft keyboard being quite the same a 'real' keyboard. I mean - you won't be able to rest your fingers on the keys without typing stuff out - is an example of one thing.

You shouldn't stop yourself from getting a keyboard just because you dont want to turn it into a 'laptop'. It really wont be! It'll still be your beautiful iPad with an accessory! :ipad-front:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hmm...I see your point - but my plan for the iPad is to get a case that lets it stand portrait or landscape and get a bluetooth keyboard. I'm planning to do alot of note taking on it and I just can't see a soft keyboard being quite the same a 'real' keyboard. I mean - you won't be able to rest your fingers on the keys without typing stuff out - is an example of one thing.

You shouldn't stop yourself from getting a keyboard just because you dont want to turn it into a 'laptop'. It really wont be! It'll still be your beautiful iPad with an accessory! :ipad-front:

I guess that kinda turns it into a really inexpensive version of the MacBook Air....lol...think they're gonna phase that overpriced unit out now?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple keyboard dock that is offered for the iPad is Ok, but most people will find just the dock charger and the bluetooth keyboard to be more useful. Many of the vendors out there have got products that may resolve a lot of issues. The dock with SD card capability may be a fantastic addition if the price is right. The big thing I see with the iPad is that it is fully self contained for most computing work on the go. If you take a keyboad, dock, and everything wlse, it will add to the bulk into as much as a laptop, but those items can be secured without problem until you are where it is easy to use them.

raylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a bluetooth keyboard with my mac mini. By the time the mimi is booted up the keyboard is connected. I also use it with my PS3.

Most reactions

Latest posts