What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth Keyboard arrow keys

Jay in NYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Mac bluetooth keyboard to use with my iPad 2 and it's great, but I don't understand why the arrow keys (in particular) don't work as navigation controls for the screen. (In Pages, for example, they do work as you would expect -- you can scroll up/down, left/right, home/end, etc.) But in a typical app screen (email, for example) they are inoperative.

Prior to getting the Mac keyboard I had the Zagg keyboard/dock unit and I believe it DID have those navigation functions, as well as some other dedicated function keys (like the Home button). So I'm just wondering if anyone knows if or when Apple might be making those features available for the bluetooth keyboard, as I imagine there are a lot more of them in use than the Zagg.

Thanks,

Jay in NYC

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have two other Bluetooth keyboards, the 'iGo Stowaway' and the 'Freedom i-Connex' and both work exactly as you describe for the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, so I suspect it's an iOS issue and nothing to do with the keyboard.

Tim

OP
J

Jay in NYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, here's the thing: I don't remember exactly how the Zagg keyboard worked but it definitely had a lot more navigation functionality than the default Mac bluetooth keyboard does. But that's really neither here nor there. Simply because of the popularity of the iPad I believe that Apple should incorporate some global functions into the arrow keys (like option-arrow or control-arrow or command-arrow) such that you can navigate through screens with the arrow keys and also, in email for example, scroll through messages without having to touch the screen. It seems to me that would be easy to do and really useful.

Most reactions

Latest posts