What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad custom ROM's and other Newbie q's

barbs666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
first of all I must apologise as I know very little about the iPad.

As I am a samsung owner (sg2) I like to mod/flash roms for my phone and like the customisation and controlability of the phone settings, apps etc.

Now the question I have are these:

1. Can the iPad2 or ipad3 be flashed with different rom (OS)???
  2. Is there anyone/thread working on doing this? or is this what JailBreaking is for?
  3. Can the iPad be taken "off the apple" grid so to speak? i.e. can privacy be maintained, app internet access controlled? etc
  4. Is the iPad2 better than the iPad3? (Speed, functionality, batt life, general use etc)?
  5. Can you get Swype for the iPad?

thanks everyone!

alxb577

iPF Noob
Reaction score
barbs666 said:

As I am a samsung owner (sg2) I like to mod/flash roms for my phone and like the customisation and controlability of the phone settings, apps etc.

[*] Can the iPad2 or ipad3 be flashed with different rom (OS)???
[*] Is there anyone/thread working on doing this? or is this what JailBreaking is for?
[*] Can the iPad be taken "off the apple" grid so to speak? i.e. can privacy be maintained, app internet access controlled? etc
[*] Is the iPad2 better than the iPad3? (Speed, functionality, batt life, general use etc)?
[*]Can you get Swype for the iPad?

thanks everyone!

Hey I like to flash roms too (galaxy nexus) but I think jail breaking does not include that because unlike android iOS is not open source so the developers would have nothing to work with. Jail breaking is just like having root access to the os that everyone has, the benefit of this is that there are many customizations in Cydia and you can use all of them but I don't think you can make it faster or overclock it or anything like that. There may be some other people that try porting other os to the iPad such as android but there would probably be a significant loss of functionality so it's best not to tamper with it unless your daring. There are a lot of skins though and some that look and feel like android with widgets and stuff. Also the iPad 3 is better then the iPad 2 because the screen is so much better also the camera is better, it has a faster processor and graphics but I think it only helps it keep up with the speed of the iPad 2 because the display has 4 times as many pixels.

OP
B

barbs666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I like to flash roms too (galaxy nexus) but I think jail breaking does not include that because unlike android iOS is not open source so the developers would have nothing to work with. Jail breaking is just like having root access to the os that everyone has, the benefit of this is that there are many customizations in Cydia and you can use all of them but I don't think you can make it faster or overclock it or anything like that. There may be some other people that try porting other os to the iPad such as android but there would probably be a significant loss of functionality so it's best not to tamper with it unless your daring. There are a lot of skins though and some that look and feel like android with widgets and stuff. Also the iPad 3 is better then the iPad 2 because the screen is so much better also the camera is better, it has a faster processor and graphics but I think it only helps it keep up with the speed of the iPad 2 because the display has 4 times as many pixels.

[*] Can the iPad be taken "off the apple" grid so to speak? i.e. can privacy be maintained, app internet access controlled? etc
[*] Is the iPad2 better than the iPad3? (Speed, functionality, batt life, general use etc)?
[*]Can you get Swype for the iPad?

thanks everyone!

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah I am getting interested in the iPad, but the 3 does not really look like it surparses the 2 in real performance, especially with the processing for the screen res. If I wanted to use the pad3 as more of a business tool, with alot of reading pdfs, document creation, other creative tasks (photediting etc) would ipad3 still be a good choice?

I was going to get the 64gb wifi

Has anyone experienced these heat issues? I am in a hot country (40C+) so will this thing crap out on me if i use it outside?

Can you get swipe for the ipad?
can you control privacy/internet access for apps/all componants on the ipad?

and if I get one of these things is Apple going to release a iPad4 with usb/expandable mem/hdmi? (Lol) for Christmas time!?

thanks again

[Moderator edit: This is a family-friendly forum. Please watch your language. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NOTE: you may want to consider starting another thread if you want to ask non-jailbreak related questions.... this is only a jailbreak thread and is not meant to be a catch all... we should keep it on topic....

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah I am getting interested in the iPad, but the 3 does not really look like it surparses the 2 in real performance, especially with the processing for the screen res.
Why would you need more performance, especially when in the next sentence you describe uses that have zero need for performance?
If I wanted to use the pad3 as more of a business tool, with alot of reading pdfs, document creation, other creative tasks (photediting etc) would ipad3 still be a good choice?
For reading PDFs, documents, photoediting... Why would you not want more resolution? It's especially important in reading as you can see very small fonts without having to zoom in.

I was going to get the 64gb wifi

Has anyone experienced these heat issues? I am in a hot country (40C+) so will this thing crap out on me if i use it outside?
The iPad will have no problem but the lithium polymer batteries used by every modern portable device will have certain issues if they overheat. While outside will not be a problem, the insides of a car left in such extreme heat will certainly heat way past 40C.

Can you get swipe for the ipad?
can you control privacy/internet access for apps/all componants on the ipad?
This is where we get to the jailbreak related questions in your post...
I have not heard of any swipekey work-alikes for the ipad/iphone, however there are many good keyboards out there. If you really do a lot of typing, get a bluetooth keyboard case - because nothing beats a physical keyboard for typing.

There is a firewall available for the ipad/iphone on jailbreak, but really there is very little use for it because the apps are designed in a very safe way and sandboxed so they cannot access one anothers data... this is unlike android where a rogue app can pretty much upload all your private info to criminals.

and if I get one of these things is Apple going to **** me over and release a iPad4 with usb/expandable mem/hdmi? (Lol) for Christmas time!?
The iPad/iPhone already have HDMI converters, so that's not a worry. The camera connection kit allows you to import photos off of USB connected cameras and SDHC cards... There are many other good solutions to get expanded access to content such as photos/videos and documents - cloud services, portable wifi drives, etc... so I don't see apple adding memory expansion capabilities.

In fact Apple has been the only company being pretty consistent that they have not ****ed their customers because they support all their products from the first iPads and iPhones still getting consistent updates, to making sure you can still run the majority of apps on all their hardware... this is not the case with Android, where you can be pretty much sure that what you buy this year will be obsolete and unsupported next year.

thanks again

Your welcome... however, again consider starting another thread if you want to ask non-jailbreak related questions.... this is only a jailbreak thread and is not meant to be a catch all... we should keep it on topic.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Barbs666: I have moved the posts and responses you received in the official jail break thread over to here, your original post on this issue. Your question was off-topic and did not belong in that thread. Not only was is poor forum etiquette, it's against the forum rules.

In addition, please don't ask the same question more than once. As you had already asked in this thread, this is where the follow up and any further discussion will remain. Having more than one thread with the same question fragments the conversation and makes it difficult to follow. In addition, having mutiple threads going with the same question breaks another forum rule. So, please, keep this discussion here. Thank for your understanding.

Lastly, please take a moment to review our rules in their entirety. They can be found in my signature line. Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
B

barbs666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, understand, apologies,
I needed to find answers quickly, so thats why it happened the way it did.... it was kind-of on topic (JB'ing), but alas, would have been fragmented and hard to follow for me as well with many threads for simple q's.

@zphone
Why would you need more performance, especially when in the next sentence you describe uses that have zero need for performance?
Thanks for your info, apreciated, but that was asked for what I thought an obvious reason; ipad2 seems very capable still from a business point of view; where as maybe the iPad3 was overkill or not really significantly better??? for all I know, its hard to determine considering that its hard to find genuine non-bias advice on apple sites; so possibly i could save some $$$ on this.
I dont excreet juices over angry birds and other games so it had to be asked whether I was wasting money on a screen/performance that really wouldnt enhance my ipad pleasure or my $$$ account.

I assume that a JB will be available soon for 5.1.1
but still, i believe there will be alot to get used to by making a switch from highly customisable android OS to a jail-breaked apple version of customisable.

Thanks again.
If you have more opinions and advice then feel free to post. Good or bad, I wont get my nickers in a proverbial knot! I promise :)

alxb577

iPF Noob
Reaction score
barbs666 said:
ok, understand, apologies,
I needed to find answers quickly, so thats why it happened the way it did.... it was kind-of on topic (JB'ing), but alas, would have been fragmented and hard to follow for me as well with many threads for simple q's.

@zphone

Thanks for your info, apreciated, but that was asked for what I thought an obvious reason; ipad2 seems very capable still from a business point of view; where as maybe the iPad3 was overkill or not really significantly better??? for all I know, its hard to determine considering that its hard to find genuine non-bias advice on apple sites; so possibly i could save some $$$ on this.
I dont excreet juices over angry birds and other games so it had to be asked whether I was wasting money on a screen/performance that really wouldnt enhance my ipad pleasure or my $$$ account.

I assume that a JB will be available soon for 5.1.1
but still, i believe there will be alot to get used to by making a switch from highly customisable android OS to a jail-breaked apple version of customisable.

Thanks again.
If you have more opinions and advice then feel free to post. Good or bad, I wont get my nickers in a proverbial knot! I promise :)

Since you want unbiased advice I will give it to you since I'm an android fan boy. I have been looking into getting an android tablet for a long time and I almost got the transformer prime but I didn't get it because it was taking too long to get and then I found out about the problems that it had. But basically when the iPad 3 came out it was statistically the best tablet and I had to get it. I'm really glad I did because the screen is ****ing amazing and when I look at an iPad 2 now the first thing I notice is how bad the resolution is so if your deciding between the two iPads then I would 100 percent say get the iPad 3 it even cost apple way more money to make and they are selling it for the same price. One thing that I really like about having an apple device is that there's so much stuff that suppots it and there's so much stuff being developed for it because it's like the standard for tablets. The only issues I've really been having are how it's restricted in certain ways like not having access to the entire file system but I think that jail braking it will fix most of the problems and there will probably be a lot of cool things in there that I don't know about because again all of the developers are working on the same device. What I'm hoping for after the jailbreak is being able to compile code on it and have access to the file system. So overall I would highly recommend this tablet because it replaces a bunch of stuff in my backpack. And also btw if your reading PDFs on it it makes a huge difference. Sorry for rambling a bit but I hope this helps you make a decision.

OP
B

barbs666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks mate! this no such thing as rambling. I like to hear experiences and real problems from the perspective of the user.
Seems like the pad3 is winning out. I have a friend in the states who can get me one while they are there and I am not sure how cheap they are but $699 US seems to be the going rate. (64gb wifi)
Yes I do admire appple for there stable products but hate the control...... heres hoping for a JB soon as i will prob get one of these :)

Most reactions