What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Converter - Handbrake

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tell you what...I have every movie known to man...but you send me a DVD that you can't rip and I'll see if you can rip it with Nero Recode. Just pay for shipping to and from. Or you can buy the suite for 70 bucks and get Nero Vision etc.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Matth3w said:
Tell you what...I have every movie known to man...but you send me a DVD that you can't rip and I'll see if you can rip it with Nero Recode. Just pay for shipping to and from. Or you can buy the suite for 70 bucks and get Nero Vision etc.
It would cost me 70 bucks to ship it to you, hehe. Have you tried the latest Star Trek movie? It's kicking my butt.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I see you are in Europe...no, I don't like Star Trek and honestly I don't buy DVDs...well, rarely.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can pull the Nero suite off a torrent in less than ten minutes.

DVDFab is another fast, relatively simple ripping tool that will encode from DVD to a variety of file formats with just a couple of mouse clicks. DVD Converter Pro is noter great tool for ripping from a variety of file formats to Apple compatible files.

Both of these produce consistent reasonably sized files.

Unless you're going to be displaying the video on a device external to your ipad, there is no reason to rip to such a large frame size. I can show you video I've converted well below 720p or even the native resolution of the iPad and I'd be willing to wager that you wouldn't be able to see the difference. It looks that good, and will hold it's own with standard DVD format when displayed on a much larger screen. It just takes a little practice. I use a more complicated method than these one click solutions but it's worth the effort and it doesn't take any longer to produce. Two passes usually does
it.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure talking about downloading pirated software is against the forum ToS which is why I purposely neglected to mention that option.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't see the harm in stating the obvious when people are talking about reproducing DVD content and ripping around copy protection - both of which are also acts of piracy if you want to get down to it. If the mods see it as over the line they can kill the post and warn me about it. Thanks for the concern.

The board has a section dedicated to hacking the device, including jailbreaking and the like. If we can discuss that, I would think we could mention torrents as well. I didn't post any links or torrents, so there isn't anything criminal about it, is there?

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just went and re-read the 14 rules and there is nothing in there that would make my mention of torrents as a violation...

Mods - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hacking the device is not illegal. Downloading/redistributing copyrighted software/DVDs is.

It doesn't matter to me, just figured I'd give you the heads up.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying lots of things. But what I really want is a one-software solution.

How about a two step solution. Rip with DVDFab 7 then convert with Handbrake.

Why not rip directly to iPad from DVDFab? Are you wanting to increase the resolution beyond the native resolution of the DVD?

I'm messing with a conversion of the original Dawn of the Dead right now to see what the outcome will look like - file size, frame quality, etc..

Projected completion time is under 30 minutes, which is about average for my machine.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also pulling down HD sample off iTunes to compare Apple's HD movie to what I create here on my PC.

If tradition holds true, there won't be any visible difference on the iPad.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay - done.

Dawn of the Dead runs 2:08:00. I encoded it using the Apple TV settings using DVDFab 7.0.4.0. The output resolution I chose was just slightly smaller than native DVD resolution - instead of 720 X 480 I chose 640 X 364.

It easily looks as good as the source DVD on the iPad, and encoding produced a file slightly over 1 GB that took less than 30 minutes to process.

It took 3 clicks - 1 to select the destination, 1 to choose the file settings, and 1 to hit start.

If you're looking for something uber-simple that produces a quality output - this might be a choice.

Last edited:

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally ripped the Avatar DVD (not bluray) using DVD43 along with DVD Decrypter. Converted it with Handbrake using the universal preset and it looks very good.

Thanks for posting this info. I am in the process of decrypting a DVD with DVD43 and DVD Decrypter. As long as this works out, I'll follow up with Handbrake, and should soon have Kung Fu Hustle on my iPad!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay - done.

Dawn of the Dead runs 2:08:00. I encoded it using the Apple TV settings using DVDFab 7.0.4.0. The output resolution I chose was just slightly smaller than native DVD resolution - instead of 720 X 480 I chose 640 X 364.

It easily looks as good as the source DVD on the iPad, and encoding produced a file slightly over 1 GB that took less than 30 minutes to process.

It took 3 clicks - 1 to select the destination, 1 to choose the file settings, and 1 to hit start.

If you're looking for something uber-simple that produces a quality output - this might be a choice.

Boom. You've got me interested now! I'm going to try to find a demo and try it out with my "problem" DVD.

Thanks for the excellent test.

Most reactions

Latest posts