What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Continues to Dominate Market, Amidst Increased Competition

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
Tablet_shipments_Q1_2013.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on new figures from Strategy Analytics that show that Apple’s iPad continues to dominate the tablet market, despite a slight growth in popularity of Android tablets, and the emergence of Windows 8 tablets onto the market. According to the new figures for Q1 2013, total tablet shipments for the quarter reached 40.6 million, with Apple’s iPad and iPad mini having 19.5 million unit shipments in total, which represents 48.2% of the market, which is a fall from the year ago total of 63.1% of shipments. As AppleInsider notes, the reason for the decrease is increased completion, with the Android tablet sector growing from 34.2% last year to 43.4% this year. Microsoft’s new Windows 8 tablets made up just 7.4% of shipments, with 3 million units sold, which, although somewhat disappointing for Microsoft, at least gives the company an entry point into the market and room to grow.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Windows 8 tablets grab 7% of shipments, Apple's iPad still controls nearly half

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a feeling the folks in Cupertino aren't reviewing these numbers with the tagline "iPad Continues to Dominate Market"...

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's funny is that almost every commercial break here in the States you will see a commercial promoting windows 8 or the surface tablets. 7% of the market is pathetic for MS.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's funny is that almost every commercial break here in the States you will see a commercial promoting windows 8 or the surface tablets. 7% of the market is pathetic for MS.

Not sure what MS was hoping for, but 7% for a new entrant isn't shabby, as the article indicates.

I have not kept up with MS' Surface much, but aren't there several issues holding sales back too? Something about the OS waiting for a major upgrade and the choice is relatively limited to more expensive devices. Perhaps I'm off, but I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year MS is @ 15% or more, and that growth will come from Apple/Android losses.

Competition is a good thing and MS has a history of pumping money into projects for a long time. It sure can fail (like Zune), but I know Apple and Android are keeping a keen eye on them. I don't think they did that much with BB...

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since it is recent news, recall how the XBOX was belittled when it entered the market, saying the Playstation is King and Nintendo is the next option people choose. With next generation consoles around the corner, the PS4 is the one looking to recover from free-fall and the XBOX is clearly in the driver's seat.

Entering a market is tough, but whoever is the lead dog needs to be careful not to be too confident. Just look at Nokia...

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since it is recent news, recall how the XBOX was belittled when it entered the market, saying the Playstation is King and Nintendo is the next option people choose. With next generation consoles around the corner, the PS4 is the one looking to recover from free-fall and the XBOX is clearly in the driver's seat.

Entering a market is tough, but whoever is the lead dog needs to be careful not to be too confident. Just look at Nokia...

The difference is the XBOX is user friendly, well engineered and essentially only had one competitor. I see what you're trying to say, but comparing game consoles to the tablet segment is apples to oranges.

Most reactions

Latest posts