What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad centric Bag: Looking for ideas and suggestions......

SERT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Since my initial post earlier last year on taking my then new iPad on the road (LINK), I've covered in excess of 200,000 flight miles worldwide with it. Along the way I've decided I needed a more iPad centric bag that can hold the stuff I bum around with.

As such I'm working on a new bag design and wanted to solicit ideas and suggestions from you (moderator, hope this is OK). I'm not one of those who carry anything and everything in my bag so right now, apart from the iPad, I've restricted it to the following (my personal essentials):

1. Seagate GoFlex drive
2. Charger
3. Earphones
4. Reading glasses
5. Pen, mechanical pencil, highlighter
6. Phone
7. One or two magazines
8. Surefire light
9. Keys
10. Thumb drive
11. Tissue
12. Cards and IDs

The design I have in mind would be as compact as possible with a single handle and an adjustable shoulder strap, and well padded all round.

I've tried a number of bags including those from Patagonia, Tom Binh, etc and see some great ideas from these brands but thought it best to go directly the source of end users :)

So I'm open to ideas, suggestions, etc and don't hesitate with any Qs.

Thanks all.

Helm

PS My background is in product development but mostly gear for LE & Mil. Thanks.

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have described exactly what I have been looking for with one exception: wheels. I want a really small wheeled tote to hold my iPad and the same type and number of items you listed. I don't need something big enough to pack clothes in, I have a checked bag for that. As an older female traveler, I just want something small that doesn't add more weight and bulk to my short self when I'm carrying a large purse. Handle/straps would be great but wheels are what I'm looking for. Good luck!

madlovemonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My advice would be: design is everything. Everyone's buying MacBooks because of they're design and ease of use. I personally use the Booq Boa Squeeze, which is as close to the 'if apple made laptop backpacks' as it gets, in my opinion.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one of these:

Saddleback Leather Satchel

442b837c.jpg

93cb73e5.jpg

I just purchased a Logitech Keyboard Cover and the whole thing slides into my Targus Leather iPad folio and that whole thing goes right in the satchel with room for books, pens, charger, iPhone, glasses case and other small stuff.

1ed4a485.jpg

OP
S

SERT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ HaggisGirl - I hear you ;) The bag I have in mind would be too small for wheels unfortunately. It would be very compact but if I had anything larger, wheels will be a first!

@ Kona - the Boa is a sweet bag.

@ Drathbun - thanks for the photos. That's quite a setup!

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I quite like the interior of drathbun's leather satchel, it looks well made, thought out and organised with enough space for all the essentials. I'm not that keen on satchels (and couldnt justify the cost of that particular one, nice though it clearly is), i'm more of a messenger bag man although I have yet to find one that I would be happy with for my iPad.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
axis said:
I quite like the interior of drathbun's leather satchel, it looks well made, thought out and organised with enough space for all the essentials. I'm not that keen on satchels (and couldnt justify the cost of that particular one, nice though it clearly is), i'm more of a messenger bag man although I have yet to find one that I would be happy with for my iPad.

I received my satchel as a Christmas gift. :) And, yes, it is pricey, but as the Saddleback Leathers motto goes "They'll Fight Over It When You're Dead!"

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might take a look at the Tamrac Zuma 2 Day Bag. I like it very much for excursions requiring the whole kit and caboodle, including external drives and BT keyboard. Lots of organization, but still compact and lightweight. Only drawback is that the front attracts fuzz for some reason!

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JewelGarden said:
You might take a look at the Tamrac Zuma 2 Day Bag. I like it very much for excursions requiring the whole kit and caboodle, including external drives and BT keyboard. Lots of organization, but still compact and lightweight. Only drawback is that the front attracts fuzz for some reason!

I don't need any hassles from the police!

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts