What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad built for Verizon?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier rumors indicated that the iPad would be built to run on Verizon network. I haven't heard much lately, but let's get this thread going with your thoughts.

Will this be the first time Apple shafts AT&T?

new2u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Earlier rumors indicated that the iSlate would be built to run on Verizon network. I haven't heard much lately, but let's get this thread going with your thoughts.

Will this be the first time Apple shafts AT&T?

I hope it is, well really i think the main thing is that apple really got the shaft from AT&T when they first got the iphone. AT&T's network was the biggest let down for the iphone. I think at this point it would have been better on any other network.

Verizon's is one of the largest networks out there. And with verizon going to 4g along with others soon, i don't see a reason why they wouldn't go with verizon. It would be a very smart move if they can reach an agreement with verizon. It might make it one more reason i would get it. If it went to AT&T, i will do the same thing i did with the iphone... never touch it.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does this mean it will have a phone on it? Or will it just help on the internet part.

new2u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this mean it will have a phone on it? Or will it just help on the internet part.

Not sure, but i know verizon sells netbooks with their internet on them, so my best guess is that it will have the verizon chips inside so you can also pay XX amount of money to have it connected to the internet through their service.

Or possibly making it mandatory to have an internet plan? I hope not.

richc78370

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it's official. The iPad is going to be exclusively on AT&T.:( What does that mean. Well for me. I won't be getting one. And I know a lot of people who aren't going to get one either.

Varking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I will still look into getting one. Had it been Verizon capable as well I would have 100% gotten one.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I will still look into getting one. Had it been Verizon capable as well I would have 100% gotten one.

Im having 2nd thoughts on getting it. I might wait till the next one to come out...like 2 years is the problem.

terry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys realize that the at&t network sucks mainly because of the iphone. Verizons network would be bogged all to hell too with all of that data drain. Of course, I live in the twin cities and at&t service is awesome.
I won't be buying the Ipad though. It lacks to many features. My netbook easily outperforms this and I have had it for 6 months already. To say I'm disappointed in this offering would be an understatement.

Firehazel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I use Verizon, and that it would be awesome to have the iPad on Verizon, I would rather have it on AT&T.
Verizon=more 3G coverage, slower network
AT&T Not as much(about 2/5 the coverage), but faster network.
Plus, you can't switch carriers with Verizon, seeing as they use CDMA, and CDMA doesn't use SIM cards.

People don't see the truth. AT&T does have a smaller 3G network, true. But their speeds are faster than Verizons'. Most people online say that they have awful reception. They happen to live near huge metro areas, meaning they are not the only one accessing the bandwidth. People living in areas which are not as crowded should be OK.

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@terry

What brand/model of netbook do you have? I looked at quite a few last night at the store and just wasn't overly impressed with any of them.

I also think AT&T's network has been filled because of all the demand for the iPhone and they are slowly working through it.

Now that Verizon has a great smart phone (Motorola Droid) I wonder what impact that is having on their network.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now that Verizon has a great smart phone (Motorola Droid) I wonder what impact that is having on their network.

Oh really?lol.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQR67HXVt14]YouTube - AT&T TV Commercial: Luke Wilson Smartphone Switch[/ame]

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, from what Jobs said in the intro last week, AT&T will allow 2 levels of 3G service Without a contract (Jobs exact words were "... with no contract. And it can be canceled at any time.":eek:) If that is true, I might spend the extra cash & get the 3G option.

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lol, I haven't seen that one.. "Where's my cool phone".. haha

auburn1975

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a HUGH disappointment not to have the ipad on Verizon; it is a game changer for me. And I had been so excited; now no way....I had been waiting on getting a Kindle in antisipating of this...now what! I don' want to pay ~$800 on the ipad and not have great internet functions because of poor AT&T network performance. It's to much for the usable service just to download ebooks and not get much more because of the service provider limitation. Why can't Apple and Verizon get over this issues and get us the ipad ASAP!

Most reactions

Latest posts