What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 4G iPhones or iPads on Verizon - ever

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to an analyst, when Verizon bought their spectrum from the government to build their 4G network, Google pulled a fast one and got the feds to make it a condition of sale that only open source devices could be used. Since all Apple products are closed source, they cannot be used on Verizon's 4G system, leaving only the Android units. Verizon is fighting this, but it does not loo all that great for them. Meanwhile, AT&T will be able to roll out a 4G iPhone and iPad with no problems.

Last edited:

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting yet typical these days, wouldn't you agree?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Source please, if it's not inconvenient?

While I can find many reports of analysts (probably only one or two) who think that there will be no LTE iPhone until 2012, I can't find a mention of what you said. And I'd expect the news feeds to be in a frenzy of speculation if a prominent, or even semi-respectible analyst had said this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. I must have been using the wrong search terms.

Though the interpretation of Android phones being open to all apps is debatable. Most are locked down enough that some apps, admittedly a small number, can not be loaded and used on the phone without rooting, or in iPhone parlance, jailbreaking.

That's not Google's fault, of course. It's something the phone manufacturers and Verizon do.

Still, it gives Apple a small wedge if push comes to shove. And Apple can claim that since jailbreaking is not illegal, it does not really prevent people from loading and using any app. They, Apple refuse to support it. The measures taken are all for the protection an security of the users. Sophistry, true (or probably at least half true), but that would not be anything new for any of the interested parties.

Kevin1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been with Verizon for 10 yrs now. Prior to that I had service with several other providers. Even though everything hasn't been perfect with Verizon,it has been the best best service I've had. I really had a bad experience with AT&T, so I'm sure I'll never go back to them and to be honest, I never tried T-Mobile or US Cellular.They may be ok, but I'll stay with what I know and where I'm at least comfortable. Having said that, I hope Verizon doesn't let me down now.

Most reactions

Latest posts