What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Books vs Traditional Books

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stumbled onto a very detailed and thorough comparison of iPad books (and eBooks in general) vs old media/Traditional books.

Thought some of you might be interested.

Books in the Age of the iPad

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reading is Joy!

One of the things I really enjoy is reading. I have several apps with classics and free books on my iphone and I hope I will be able to use on Ipad. I listen to audio books a lot but really love the written word. I do read on the iphone but it is small and because of my age and vision I cant wait until I can use the Ipad for reading.What a joy!:) Actually I stopped reading books years ago and went to the audio. Recently though with the apps I have on the Iphone I have started reading that way again. I love it!

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reading is perpetual learning

One of the things I really enjoy is reading. I have several apps with classics and free books on my iphone and I hope I will be able to use on Ipad. I listen to audio books a lot but really love the written word. I do read on the iphone but it is small and because of my age and vision I cant wait until I can use the Ipad for reading.What a joy!:) Actually I stopped reading books years ago and went to the audio. Recently though with the apps I have on the Iphone I have started reading that way again. I love it!

For me is the reverse i have not yet dive in the electronic book, except the story of Benjamin button i found a link and download the dedicated app in Itunes i have to admit i have really appreciate the user experience ...

I guess i will read more e-book with the Ipad , that will depend on the choice we will have

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got started on audio books because

My DH has low vision and unable to read anymore so he uses audio books for the blind and I admit I got lazy and started using too but since I have started using the books on my Iphone I again remember the joy I get with reading. I listen to audios sometime but really prefer to read the words.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad VS E-Book

Stumbled onto a very detailed and thorough comparison of iPad books (and eBooks in general) vs old media/Traditional books.

Thought some of you might be interested.

Books in the Age of the iPad

Hi Johnny thank's a lot for share this article, i like the angle he approach the future fight between real book and e-book .... in the future we will buy only quality book like collectible and Dan Brown and other will be only published in E-book format i believe of this point of view

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No disposable books for the poor too read

Another link I followed in the Craig Mod article comments is another point of view I have thought about but the author puts it in new perspective.

Binky the doormat - Some thoughts on digital publishing.

Some thoughts on digital publishing

Having just read Adrian Shaughnessy’s Design Week article on electronic publishing (as well as all the other iPad-centric artciles that have been knocking around the last couple of weeks), I’m left with some niggling concerns about where this is all headed, especially as the publishing industry continues to stick to the incredibly flawed and simplistic notion that the iPod/iTunes model will translate directly to publishing.

The beauty of newspapers, magazines and books is their accessible, dispersive nature. Libraries, hospital waiting rooms, charity shops, second-hand book stores, train carriages, coffee tables — books and magazines are everywhere, and in one way or other, accessible to all. Electronic publishing is great for the coffers of the actual publishers, but they have no reason to invest in the text’s life beyond the initial financial transaction. You’ll buy an e-book, it’ll exist on your electronic platform of choice, and then … dead end.

You can’t give it away or leave it somewhere for someone else or even easily lend it to someone. The whole idea of passing on knowledge through text – something we’ve spent centuries perfecting – could very suddenly take a huge backward step in the name of profit.

And what about those people (i.e. the majority of the civilisation) who can’t even afford the electronic device on which to read the text in the first place? Should we so blithely encourage the broadening of the division between rich and poor, educated and uneducated, literate and illiterate? Yes, I admit this hypothesising is all a tad extreme, but we are putting an awful lot of power into a handful of companies who don’t necessarily have a long-term view of how this technology is going to effect us. And it is going to effect us, for better or worse, really quickly.

Here’s hoping that there’s a Gutenberg or Carnegie out there who’ll be able to see things with a little more clarity and can keep the power of text in the hands of the readers.

OP
JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think having a combination of paper books and digital books is the ideal situation. I hate having to make sure my batteries are charged before going on a flight vs just tossing a book in my bag :)

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An intersting counter point, although short. The gap between the have digitially haves and have-nots is an omnipresent one. It also changes based on the population your looking at.

What I would like to see is a little bit of anyalais looking the percentage of the [global] population that reads, that have acess to the resources to support an iPad like device, and what kinds of material is read.

Another though is lenght of content. While it is more weight and space friendly to have a 1000 page volume in a digital form, what about the smaller? Short stories, single articles, and other very low page count nitch material that would likely never make it through printing and distribution costs.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my wife a Nook from Barnes & Noble,and she has fell in love with reading again.
She really likes the idea of not having to try to fit a book in her purse.

She asked me the other day what I liked: iPad or Nook?

Since we already have an account with B & N, it makes for a logical choice to pick the Nook.
I think I'll have to wait and make a visit to a retail store so I can get my hands on a iPad and that will probably make my decision for me.

If I choose the iPad.......when I choose the iPad, all I have to convince her of is the outrageous price.

Good luck to me!!!

Cya

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like that the article didn't take an 'all or nothing' approach. I love ebooks -- but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up my quality leather bible. On the other hand -- most of what I read is the "throw away" kind of book -- the paper back that I do not intend to cherish for decades. Those are perfect for ebooks.

As to the haves and have nots. So what? Should I not "have" something just because someone else doesn't? That's ridiculous. I can't afford a Mercedez -- so should no one be able to have one?

As for the value of "old books laying around and in garage sales" -- I'd say digital has a nice counter to that as well. With digital, the concept of "out of print" becomes meaningless. How many wonderful books are effectively "gone for everyone" because they are no longer in print? Ebooks can be kept available forever.

And let's not forget the power of piracy. Not that I would advocate piracy, but those without money will have MORE access to books, not less, after the transition to ebooks. I mean, really, no third world kid comes to my garage sale to get my old books anyway. They find their way to the landfill before ever being picked up by a pigmy in Africa.

Lee

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is good for women

I bought my wife a Nook from Barnes & Noble,and she has fell in love with reading again.

Since we already have an account with B & N, it makes for a logical choice to pick the Nook.
I think I'll have to wait and make a visit to a retail store so I can get my hands on a iPad and that will probably make my decision for me.

If I choose the iPad.......when I choose the iPad, all I have to convince her of is the outrageous price.

Good luck to me!!!

Cya

Earl my wife originally say; I don't need Ipad and two 2 day's ago she ask like a small mousse : how many Ipad do you order ( as i need many for our product's devellopment) when i give her the reply she say: so that mean i can pick one for myself , when i say but not immediately she say but with so many one can always stay at home ...

She didn't admit clearly but she change her mind when she see the possibilities ... i believe you're wife will be the same ... so don't be worry la:D

Last edited:

MacDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed that if I read a printed book for 1 1/2 to 2 hours it give my a headache but I can read my Nook for 4 to 5 hours before I start getting a headache. I am very interested to see how the iPad does in this regard.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Good luck to me!!!

Cya

Earl my wife originally say; I don't need Ipad and two 2 day's ago she ask like a small mousse : how many Ipad do you order ( as i need many for our product's development) when i give her the reply she say: so that mean i can pick one for myself , when i say but not immediately she but with so many one can always stay at home ...

She didn't admit clearly but she chance her mind when she see the possibilities ... i believe you're wife will be the same ... so don't be worry la:D

Thanks for the thought.

My wife loves that Nook so much I don't think she'll be interested in an iPad....until she sees mine, which will immediately become hers and then I'll have to buy a 2nd one.

Maybe I'll just buy 2 now.

Cya

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is coming out today

Thanks for the thought.

My wife loves that Nook so much I don't think she'll be interested in an iPad....until she sees mine, which will immediately become hers and then I'll have to buy a 2nd one.

Maybe I'll just buy 2 now.

Cya

Earl, why this case look me familiar :D , my one do the exactly same

Most reactions