What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad battery drop overnight

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!Usually, my battery dropped 1~2 percent over night.Now it drops 5%.Isn't that too much?

I have an iPad 1 16Gb wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!Usually, my battery dropped 1~2 percent over night.Now it drops 5%.Isn't that too much?

I have an iPad 1 16Gb wifi.

There are some possible reasons for this. The iPad will wake up every so often and 'do stuff' - like check your email. Have you changed the interval for checking for mail? It can be set as short as every 15 minutes. The Apple iPad manual 'warns' you that setting the interval to a short period can shorten the time before you need to recharge the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
F

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set it to check my email every hour but I will check as soon as I get home.Otherwise, CNN sent me one notification and restaurant story as well.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This could also mean that it is time to let your iPad drain completely and then recharge. This has nothing to do with the battery itself, but it "re-calibrates" the battery level indicator. The best way to do this is to set your Auto-Lock time to Never (so that the screen does not shut off) and let it go until it shuts off by itself. The only word of caution is that it takes several hours to charge the battery back up to 100%.

OP
F

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may need to do that, you're right!I think the last time I did that was in January so I'll try this!Thank you!

sTechnical

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night I charged my battery to 100%, then took it off the cord and set it aside. 12 hours later, I unlocked the iPad to find the battery had drained to 85%. Push and Fetch have been turned off, so have location services and the iPad is not jail broken. I hope you all can tell if such a drop of charge is at all normal. And if not, can the Apple Store tell if my battery is defective? It's a wifi only model by the way...

thanks.......

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last night I charged my battery to 100%, then took it off the cord and set it aside. 12 hours later, I unlocked the iPad to find the battery had drained to 85%. Push and Fetch have been turned off, so have location services and the iPad is not jail broken. I hope you all can tell if such a drop of charge is at all normal. And if not, can the Apple Store tell if my battery is defective? It's a wifi only model by the way...

thanks.......

When you say you charged it to 100%, how long did you actually leave it charging for? The iPad will quickly charge to roughly 80% I think and then trickle charge the last 20% so as to avoid possible damage to the battery. If you monitored the charging and stopped it as soon as it says 100%, it may not have actually been 100% and closer to the 80% mark regardless of what the display said. Give it some time to measure the actual charge i.e. when you set it aside for 12 hours and it may now report the correct charge. If you left it charging over night (~8 hours) while in standby then it should be correctly at 100%. Just a thought...

OP
F

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think I have any problems at all, it can stay 15-20 minutes on the home screen without dropping a percent of battery.Thank you guys!

fredhatfield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was concerned about my battery draining when not being used but the genuises at the Apple store said you should expect a 1% to 2% drop every hour when it is not being used.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was concerned about my battery draining when not being used but the genuises at the Apple store said you should expect a 1% to 2% drop every hour when it is not being used.

???
Seriously? Where they talking about when in standby? That would suggest you could go to bed with a fully charged iPad and get up to one around the 92% mark! That doesn't sound right and not the case with mine.

I can only assume this is in relation to the 3G model??

Reaction score
If the battery is fully charged, it shouldn't drop much.

On a full charge my 3G iPad drops 0% over 8h when it is connected to wifi and to 98% when only 3G is used. In both cases the email retrieval is set to push and 15 min for the accounts that don't support push.

greygoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any chance of a gnome coming out and using it while you are asleep?
3821565789_3666dda0f4.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts