What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me decide what to purchase!

musicalltheway20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

In spite of knowing a new iPad is rumored to come out in the beginning of next year, I want one NOW. Anything I get I certainly plan to sell when the new one comes out. However, here's my dilema:

With each release, it seems the resale value drops about no more then $100 (both new and used). Considering an iPad 1 16gb wifi is currently selling used between $300-400 and iPad 2 16gb wifi is selling between $400-500, would you all agree that the safer "investment" for resale when iPad 3 is released is the iPad 2? Either way I expect to lose money, but you think I'll loose less buying a new iPad 2? (btw, if I go iPad 2, i can buy new from best buy using $70 in reward zone money). Also, do you think having the 3G option plays a roll in how much the resale price may drop?

I have the opportunity currently to purchase an iPad 1 16gb wifi for only $300. But my biggest fear is because it's going to be so much older then the iPad 3 (no camera, potential incompatible features (example: iphone 3G and iphone 4)), it'll drop in price much more.

Ultimately, I want one with 3G but I'm trying to go cheapest and whichever will hold its value the most until the iPad 3 comes out.

Suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!
Joel

Last edited:

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would get the iPad 1 because they are only going to drop so far. Heck I paid $300 for a used smartphone!

Always a market for a used iPad if you take good care of it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3 may well be six months away......I'd go for it now if I were you, I bought my iPad 1 about a month before iPad 2 came out and I have not had any regrets.

The Archangel

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Computers, iPads and smart phones are not investments. By definition you will lose money if your intent is to buy and sell.

In all technology purchases I purchase the fastest and most memory device I can afford, knowing it will serve me well and for the longest duration possible.

When it's time to buy again, if I get anything for selling the old unit it's a bonus.

Buy it. Use it. Get the value. Move on.

If you wait for the next best thing you will always be waiting. If you lament a purchase because something new came along and your "resale" price dropped, you are buying for the wrong reasons.

The iPad 3 will be here in April of next year if rumors are true. Currently the iPad 2 is king and is selling 200,000 units EACH AND EVERY DAY. Your used iPad 2 will still be very much in demand when the iPad 3 starts shipping.

-t

nessva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you buy an iPad 1 for money's sake, will it meet your needs? Is there anything iPad 2 offers that that 1 doesn't?

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd at to the portent posts above, think where you would use 3G over WiFi access. If you need total mobility signal the get 3G.

Its used only for data, it won't turn the pads into a phone (Skype aside). IMHO will not realise much extra in return having 3G when you sell it, so i would not buy an ipad2 with 3G, but might be tempted at the current deals for the ipad1 to have 3G.

I'd ask would you really need all the extra bells and whistles the ipad3 might sport over the ipad2?

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nessva said:
Before you buy an iPad 1 for money's sake, will it meet your needs? Is there anything iPad 2 offers that that 1 doesn't?

The o/p will need to look up the differences, I recently had this decision, i wanted the ipad2 32gb for it's faster speed and multi tasking, also the lighter weight and better screen, but temotingly i could buy the IPad1 64gb with 3G for much less.

Decided I can't add the better performance or the screen, but by using NAS or cloud I could have virtually unlimited memory, and tbh I know I won't ever need 64gb of films and data on board all of the time.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Based on the numbers you quoted, your price limit seems to be $500 and you can't buy an iPad 2 3G model, at least from the Apple Store, for that price. It's $629.00. Even if you got a 3G model, if you activate the plan but use your iPad for only a few months, you might want to contact the carrier (AT& T or Verizon) about the consequences of having an already active plan on a new device. There might be none but it doesn't hurt to ask in advance.

I'd never go for an iPad 1 as a first device unless it was 3G capable because WiFi is not available as a service or even a stable one in all environments. The advantages of the 3G model were proven to me for the umpteenth time yesterday during a staff meeting when a coworker with a WiFi only model was unsuccessful at getting online when I could with the 3G plan activated.

Just more food for thought.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I should add that I have an iPad 2 32GB Verizon model.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:
I'd never go for an iPad 1 as a first device unless it was 3G capable because WiFi is not available as a service or even a stable one in all environments. The advantages of the 3G model were proven to me for the umpteenth time yesterday during a staff meeting when a coworker with a WiFi only model was unsuccessful at getting online when I could with the 3G plan activated.

Just more food for thought.

Going on my own phone signal 3G will not cover everywhere, and often i only get GPRS if at all.

If 3G were that critical to me, I think i'd spend my money one those standalone 3G units, that accept 3 devices over WiFi.

Buying rhe 3g version you loose the availability when you sell on, i don't think you rebover most if the added cost. The dongle way although you carry more clutter, it spreads the investment cost wider, if later you get shot of or upgrade the iPad to a later/bigger model, you don't again need to buy the 3g model, so each time you save £100:00.

Going to depend on the individual on how vital having 3G access is while mobile, to go 3G for light use is a very expensive option, with no guarantee it will be available when you actually need it.

(that was my chain if thought when buying).

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
Going on my own phone signal 3G will not cover everywhere, and often i only get GPRS if at all.

If 3G were that critical to me, I think i'd spend my money one those standalone 3G units, that accept 3 devices over WiFi.

Buying rhe 3g version you loose the availability when you sell on, i don't think you rebover most if the added cost. The dongle way although you carry more clutter, it spreads the investment cost wider, if later you get shot of or upgrade the iPad to a later/bigger model, you don't again need to buy the 3g model, so each time you save £100:00.

Going to depend on the individual on how vital having 3G access is while mobile, to go 3G for light use is a very expensive option, with no guarantee it will be available when you actually need it.

(that was my chain if thought when buying).

Hmmm. You seem to be making up your mind. :)

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asharp said:
Hmmm. You seem to be making up your mind. :)

LOL!,

no, i've already bought the ip2 32gb without 3G.

I just like to get the biggest bang for my buck, sucky I never knew about the 3G having gps, or I'd still be pondering.

mind you, having sat nav in the ipad2 stuck on the screen, might be a tad hard to see the road :)

Don't laugh, I caught the wife using my iPad2 camera to look at her new hair cut - from behind.

Most reactions