What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Backups with Windows Questions

Petey496

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That I know of, no. You can only connect using the Apple USB cord and then plug the the other end of the Apple USB cord into your computer. I have a question and new here....have an IPad1....does anyone know where the actual backups go in a windows computer? Have tried with no success to find the backups. I can find the area to DELETE the backups, but not the actual backups. When I updated to IOS5, I had to set it starting all over again. Lost my contacts, photos, although I can get my photos back because I saved them to my pictures in computer. I have Windows XPS. Please, too, let me know if I am posting incorrectly and need to go to another area to post this question. Thanks, Petey496

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That I know of, no. You can only connect using the Apple USB cord and then plug the the other end of the Apple USB cord into your computer. I have a question and new here....have an IPad1....does anyone know where the actual backups go in a windows computer? Have tried with no success to find the backups. I can find the area to DELETE the backups, but not the actual backups. When I updated to IOS5, I had to set it starting all over again. Lost my contacts, photos, although I can get my photos back because I saved them to my pictures in computer. I have Windows XPS. Please, too, let me know if I am posting incorrectly and need to go to another area to post this question. Thanks, Petey496
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With respect to your question:

Where iTunes backups are stored on your computer

The folder where your backup data are stored varies depending on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your periodic data-backup routine.
iTunes places the backup files in the following places:
  • Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
You shouldn't need to do anything about your backups there though...only in iTunes > Preferences > Devices. Changing any of the files elsewhere may cause some real problems. More here:

iTunes: About iOS backups

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

OP
P

Petey496

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!!! A lot!!! Will move over to that area. I actually have had my IPad1 since June '10. But, really bad at knowing how to use a backup once the IPad has been backed up. My main concern with the IOS5 upgrade is that I lost all of my contacts among other things. If I could somehow get my contacts back, thIngs would be great! So, will use your suggestion and get back into my XP Windows and see if I can locate this recent backup.

Most reactions

Latest posts