What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most recent backup not found by itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk0137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I was helping my boss install iOS 5 on her ipad this evening when we encountered a problem. During the installation process it backed up and synced the ipad but when it came time to restore it, it said it encountered a problem. i don't remember the error message exactly but said something that it encountered a problem and could not restore from the backup (-50). I shut down the computer and itunes to see if that helped - and i realize i didn't restart the computer after it installed the most recent version of itunes and this is where my problem probably started.

when i turned the ipad back on, it has wiped clean to factory setting. when i plugged it into itunes (cancelling the backup so it didn't overwrite any backups that are currently on the computer) it shows the ipad with apps/tv shows/books/etc but not everything that was currently on it. When i tried to restore the ipad from the previous backups, itunes only gives me two options from April 27th & April 26th. however, i was able to find the folder located in the computer (Windows 7) that contained two backups, one from today and one from April 26th. my question is: how do i have itunes recognize the backup from today so when i click on restore from back up on the side bar it will list the most recent backup as an option? is this do able? i just don't get why itunes stored a backup in the backup folder but fails to pull it up as an option....

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes will only restore from the most recent backup. If that's corrupted it has to be restored to factory settings. You can always re-download purchased iTunes apps, books, music etc. though. More here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Open iTunes, click on "Preferences" in the toolbar > Devices and see if there's a backup for the iPad there. It should have the backup date. While you have iTunes open and the iPad connected click on "Apps" and scroll down to "File Sharing". See if any of the apps that had files are listed and if they are, click on each one to see if there are any associated files (right-hand column). If so you may be able to move them to the computer to review.

You can try resetting the iPad, although I don't hold out much hope it might work...

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Bottom line though, if the backup is missing corrupted there's not a lot more you can do.

There are some computer programs that claim to be able to let you view the content of backup files, but I have never tried them, so can't recommend any. Might be worth a try.

Others may have some additional suggestions.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
K

kirk0137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'm going to attempt your suggestion but was wondering if this is worth mentioning. I just restarted the computer again and this message popped up: "ApplySyncNotifier.exe - Entry Point Not Found: The procedure entry point sqlite3_wal_checkpoint could not be lcoated in the dynamic link library SQLite3.dll." Does this have something to do with the failed backup?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'm going to attempt your suggestion but was wondering if this is worth mentioning. I just restarted the computer again and this message popped up: "ApplySyncNotifier.exe - Entry Point Not Found: The procedure entry point sqlite3_wal_checkpoint could not be lcoated in the dynamic link library SQLite3.dll." Does this have something to do with the failed backup?
Yes, that's a known Windows system issue apparently brought on by antivirus programs. If you Google it you'll find a lot of info. In my notes I have a link for a site where there's a batch file you can run to repair it. I'll send it in a PM. I'd do that first and see if it resolves the issue.

Sigh...reminds me just how much I don't miss working on Windows machines. :)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As this is a two-year old thread (I'm sure the issue has been resolved or the members have moved on) - we will now close this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts