What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as phone?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Testing shows that (in the USA) the 3G iPad plan is indeed, unlimited. Not necessarilly so internationally.

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Testing shows that (in the USA) the 3G iPad plan is indeed, unlimited. Not necessarilly so internationally.

So this would be true for WiFi to WiFi then too?

MSax

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad + 3G only has a data connection, no SMS, MMS or Voice access. You can however use SKYPE on the iPad, and it works just fine.

oSGrn.jpg

iPad + Skype + retro handset = ridiculously fun mobile phone - Boing Boing
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype/id304878510?mt=8

Really?
I just know that ipad can surf net, watch movies and videos, check emails, never heard can use as a phone, sounds interesting, Thanks the onfo anyway!

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype doesn't have ads but the reviews say it lags, crashes, etc? True?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skype doesn't have ads but the reviews say it lags, crashes, etc? True?

I'll admit that I haven't used it on the iPhone platform, but not on the desktop - there is it stable.

Maybe can someone else comment about stability on the iPhone or iPad?

OP
S

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Also is there an app to send text messages to mobile phones (cell)?.
:ipad-keyboard::D

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Also is there an app to send text messages to mobile phones (cell)?.
:ipad-keyboard::D

Try this....

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textplus/id314487667?mt=8

textPlus - brings texting to the iPad! It's the ONLY FREE, UNLIMITED & GROUP TEXTING app for iPhone, iPod touch & now iPad! More than just app-to-app messaging, textPlus lets you send and receive texts with friends on ANY phone. Now in North America, text Canadian numbers for free. International texting is ALWAYS free when going app-to-app.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed that TextPlus, added my own phone number, connected over Wifi and tried to send myself a text and it never came through. Tried three more they also didn't work.

kenlucky91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"whistle phone" (in the apple app store) seems to be "the app" for free WiFi, or 3G calls on the iPad. I have not tried it though.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded and tried it, using my Apple earbuds with the volume control and mic on wired in and it works great. Tested it out here at home on my WiFi network calling my wife from the other room in anticipation of getting free calls to home while I'm in Germany for 5 weeks.

There was a slight delay (not sure if that was due to us being TOO close or not), but sound quality was crystal clear...and you have to listen to like a 10 second advertisement at the beginning but other than that, no big deal.

I can receive calls at that same number if my iPad is turned on.

Hopefully it still works in Europe...location services might make it sketchy, not sure yet.

Jazzephaye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whistle is an excellent app. I used it all day on Friday when I had to work from home. It usually makes you listen to like a 20 sec advertisement before you place a call, but after I made several calls that day, it didn't make me listen to them. All in all, the Whistle app is excellent.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an app called TextFree I believe and it's worked great for sending and receiving SMS messages. At the time I dwl it, text plus was giving some users some problems but those bugs have probably been worked out by now.

And the contract claims it's truly unlimited, but there's also a disclaimer where AT&T states basically everything but browsing the Internet and email is prohibited so apparently they wanted the right to discontinue unlimited service to anyone using much bandwidth if they choose.

I'm no legal expert, but that's what I understood when reading the agreement upon signing up for the unlimited plan. If I wasn't under contract Id consider using the iPad for all my phone calls with Skype, because I don't talk on the phone much, mostly just text.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use TextFree, again, in preparation for this Germany trip. My wife is traveling to Kazakhstan for 10 days starting next week as well so I will give it a run then too.

Most reactions

Latest posts