What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as e-reader. How does it compare

Schuyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in the iPad AS AN E-READER more than all the other cool stuff it can do. I've looked at the Nook Color and was disappointed because the background seemed washed out. The B&W Nook, with it's "E-ink" seemed like very good contrast, which is what I need. In other respects the Nook doesn't float my boat much.

My question is: How does the iPad compare in terms of contrast when you are using the e-reader feature? Is it color Nook-like, B&W Nook-like, or something else altogether? Thanks for any feedback.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it absolutely superior to the Nook or Kindle e ink. I now download all of my Kindle books on the ipad app and buy Barnes & Noble deals for the ipad app. Once in a great while I'll revert to the Kindle for beach reading. The always well lit ipad screen is tops in my book for e-reading. Go into an Apple store to try one out!

OP
S

Schuyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

I will. Thanks. The nearest store is about 40 miles away, so I was trying to cheat and ask you guys! :)

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm actually the opposite and hate reading on my iPad. My iPad is for internet browsing, apps and games; my Kindle is for reading.

The only time I read on my ipad is when it is something in color or has a lot of pictures, so mainly magazines and children books.

OP
S

Schuyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm actually the opposite and hate reading on my iPad. My iPad is for internet browsing, apps and games; my Kindle is for reading.

The only time I read on my ipad is when it is something in color or has a lot of pictures, so mainly magazines and children books.

OK, but why? Is the contrast not to your liking? The size of the iPad compared to the Kindle? Is the black print not black enough or the white background not white enough?

the reason I ask is that contrast is very important to me because I'm a bit older (62) with some vision issues. I actually thought the Nook contrast was pretty good, but the thing is the size of a paperback and even the new one coming out in a couple of weeks is very restricted as to what it can do.

So I guess another way to ask the question is, on a scale of 1 to 10 where one is very bad and 10 is very good (and where price is not an object), how easy is it to read text on an iPad compared to "other" readers?

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think my ipad2 is anywhere near as good as my 2 Kindles for ereading.

I will use it if the Kindles aren't handy and I don't hate it, but to me ANY backlit screen doesn't really hold a candle to a Kindle screen for extended reading.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, I have a Kindle DX which almost exactly the same size as the iPad but displays text totally different (and loses out in every way possible IMHO)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, for me the iPad2 is the 'first' devoted eReader that I own - I've not bought into the pure B&W readers - I wanted color when needed.

With the iPad2, I've used the Zinio app and have several magazine already ordered, e.g. PC Mag - this is a beautiful production in color - would be worthless to me in B&W only.

OTOH, I'm also using the Kindle & iBooks apps; in addition, I've added the OverDrive app and have checked out books from our local library - these are only in B&W, but I've been reading a free DL of Shelby Foote's first volume on the Civil War and have enjoyed the experience.

I guess that my bottom line is that if one wants both B&W and color, this is a nice option for me - BOY, so many choices - :)

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could care less about color, I use my Kindles for reading books and PDFs occasionally.

An iPad is NOT a "dedicated reader" and loses big time to things like the kindle for any extended reading as does any laptop or anything else with a backlit screen.

I love my ipad2, but would never use it for reading ever if a kindle was within reach.

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has the B&W Nook and she loves it. She also likes my iPad2 as well...but there really is no comparison when it come to reading outdoors in bright light...Nook B&W wins every time.

Like others here have done I have a B&N app and download all her books so she can use either one of the "E-Readers"...which ever one fits the occasion.

Good luck

Cya

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EARL97850 said:
My wife has the B&W Nook and she loves it. She also likes my iPad2 as well...but there really is no comparison when it come to reading outdoors in bright light...Nook B&W wins every time.

Like others here have done I have a B&N app and download all her books so she can use either one of the "E-Readers"...which ever one fits the occasion.

Good luck

Cya

Yea, I completely forgot the reading outside on the beach aspect.

Outside in the sun, the iPad is virtually useless where a B&W Nook or any Kindle will read just like a real book.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question is: How does the iPad compare in terms of contrast when you are using the e-reader feature? Is it color Nook-like, B&W Nook-like, or something else altogether? Thanks for any feedback.

It is a matter of personal preference. I have the Kindle, Nook and Kobo apps and quite satisfied with how they work. I don't have an eReader device but I have tried eReaders belonging to colleagues and in the retail shops, but the difference to me is not tangible enough to spend the money on a new device whose functionality already exists on iPad.

Last edited:

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From studies I've read ebook readers are superior for really serious readers. Serious readers read a number of books per short period. LCD screens by design flicker at a high rate which presents eyestrain from prolonged use.

Another issue frequently mentioned is the difference in weight between iPads and e-readers. Personally, I use my iPad for almost everything. My wife (a serious reader), prefers her nook. We are also senior citizens with corrected vision.

Last edited:

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Schuyler said:
Is it color Nook-like, B&W Nook-like, or something else altogether? Thanks for any feedback.

To answer that specifically, the iPad is most similar to the nook color with it's backlit screen.

Most people the B/W Nook because it has a true paper screen minus the backlight.

Backlit screens cause much more eye strain as anybody who stares at a computer monitor all day will usually attest to.

Reading on a Kindle or B/W Nook is almost exactly the same as reading a paper book, an iPad most definitely is not.

Most reactions