What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as e-reader. How does it compare

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm actually the opposite and hate reading on my iPad. My iPad is for internet browsing, apps and games; my Kindle is for reading.

The only time I read on my ipad is when it is something in color or has a lot of pictures, so mainly magazines and children books.

OK, but why? Is the contrast not to your liking? The size of the iPad compared to the Kindle? Is the black print not black enough or the white background not white enough?

the reason I ask is that contrast is very important to me because I'm a bit older (62) with some vision issues. I actually thought the Nook contrast was pretty good, but the thing is the size of a paperback and even the new one coming out in a couple of weeks is very restricted as to what it can do.

So I guess another way to ask the question is, on a scale of 1 to 10 where one is very bad and 10 is very good (and where price is not an object), how easy is it to read text on an iPad compared to "other" readers?

In my case it has to do with not liking to read on a backlit screen. When I read, I read for hours at a time and almost everyday; LCD screens start to hurt my eyes after 30 minutes or so (even with a black background and white text) so they are useless as a reader for me.

If LCD screens do not hurt your eyes then this would not be a problem for you.

ipadtraveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad as e-reader

Personally, I prefer to use my Kindle in the daytime and the iPad at night. I have macular degeneration so reading is difficult. I find my eyes get really tired from the iPad glare and the anti-glare protector makes the screen blurry. Reading on the iPad oudoors is impossible so when I travel, I take both. Reading on the iPad is great when there's a power outage. lol

Reaction score
I took my Kindle back and bought my Ipad strictly for the Kindle app . If I want to eread in direct sunlight I'll use my phone Kindle app anyway as me being in direct sunlight for any length of time my Ipad isn't going to be with me anyway. My Kindle wasn't either.
Btw though I still use the app almost daily it is one of my least used features now. The Ipad us much more than a reader.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Lenc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
To answer that specifically, the iPad is most similar to the nook color with it's backlit screen.

Most people the B/W Nook because it has a true paper screen minus the backlight.

Backlit screens cause much more eye strain as anybody who stares at a computer monitor all day will usually attest to.

Reading on a Kindle or B/W Nook is almost exactly the same as reading a paper book, an iPad most definitely is not.

I still prefer my kindle for reading.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am legally blind, and have just listened to books for several years now. I have keratoconus and MUST wear specialized expensive contacts to function. I can now read again with the iPad. I have far too much strain with the Kindle. ...hope that helps you. And I'm one of the oldies.

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all really depends on how you read - the typical environment where you read, and how you position yourself physically in relation to the reader.

I'm a consummate reader and can easily go through half a dozen books per week. I initially started off with the Kindle DX and for the most part really liked it (not having any previous experience with e-readers).

My preferred method of reading is to use the reader in a stand so that it's a 'hands-free' experience - something I completly enjoy and couldn't really do easily with actual paper books. The reader is usually at arm’s-length away - which I couldn’t do with a regular book as the fonts were simply too small. I can sit back in my chair with the reader on a table, and enjoy a beverage and smoke a cigarette while I'm reading. I always read when I am eating or sitting down in a cafe enjoying a cup of coffee or a beer.

However, the problem with using an e-ink reader is that it was difficult to use in low-light environments and required an external lighting element. Since the majority of my reading takes place after work (in the evening), this became a major issue for me. Although there are numerous portable lights available for just such an issue - and I ended up purchasing several of them - I found that none of them really provided sufficient lighting and caused more eye strain than I cared to put up with. Not only that, but I ended up with yet another piece of equipment that I had to haul around and keep charged (or have extra batteries available).

In addition to the extra light, I was also carrying around a netbook for when I wanted to access the internet, as well as a sketch pad for when I wanted to jot down some designs. This led to a pretty heavy bag to haul around everywhere.

All of these issues were what led me to start looking at the iPad (which was the only viable tablet out at the time). It turned out to be the perfect solution for my particular case. It provided back-lit eBooks that I could read at any time of the day, in almost any lighting environment (with the exception of a really bright day - in which case I would be moving into the shade anyway).

It also gave me more options for directly purchasing eBooks besides from Amazon (such as B&N and via Apple's iBooks). Although I much prefer Amazon for e-books, one of their problems is that they oftentimes do not have the best availability. As an example: I've been lately reading an author who has written numerous trilogies. However, Amazon will regularly only have the first two of the series in e-book format - whereas iBooks and Nook will have all three. By using a platform such as the iPad you get more options as to where you can get your books (as opposed to a dedicated eReader such as the Kindle or the Nook which are basically tied directly to their stores - unless you go through manual file transfers ensuring you have file-type compatibility).

Others have mentioned that the back-lighted aspect of the iPad causes more eyestrain than e-Ink - which in some part is true. However, with the way that I personally use the iPad - in a stand at arm’s length away with a larger font - I'm not at all affected by any perceived 'flickering' that an active LCD display can give. Given that I stare at LCD screens all day at work, I can't say that this has ever been an issue for me.

So, it really depends on how and in what environment you would normally read. Between e-ink and backlit LCD screens, for me the LCD option was the best. However, there is no absolute solution or answer that works for everyone. You need to examine the options yourself in order to determine which is the optimal solution for your specific needs and desires.

steelr10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my ipad2 and love it. But I have an extensive library of books that my husband and I share on my kindle3.
Am I able to move my kindle library to my iPad. If so how do I do it? Very new to the workings of the iPad and would appreciate your help.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is useless outside in direct sunlight but in all artificial settings is my favourite reader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steelr10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
I took my Kindle back and bought my Ipad strictly for the Kindle app . If I want to eread in direct sunlight I'll use my phone Kindle app anyway as me being in direct sunlight for any length of time my Ipad isn't going to be with me anyway. My Kindle wasn't either.
Btw though I still use the app almost daily it is one of my least used features now. The Ipad us much more than a reader.

Support Our Troops!!

Can u move your ebooks from kindle to your iPad? I just got the ipad2 and have been unsuccessful at getting the kindle books I have purchased thru amazon to go to ipad2. I have signed into my amazon account but still no luck. Thanks for any help

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a kindle ap for iPad...I'm wondering if you install that if there is a way ti then import thru iTunes.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my iPad as a textbook reader (among many other uses, od course), but like my black and white Nook for reading fiction. The Nook is like a papervaxk---lightweight and highly portable. It doesn't tire me out holding it.

The iPad, on the other hand can be pretty tiring, so---for reading applications---I use a chairside stand.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!!

Can u move your ebooks from kindle to your iPad? I just got the ipad2 and have been unsuccessful at getting the kindle books I have purchased thru amazon to go to ipad2. I have signed into my amazon account but still no luck. Thanks for any help

Go to the Kindle app on your iPad, make sure you are signed in and then click on the archive button. A list of all your books should show up and then you can download the ones you want.

If this doesn't work I would call Amazon Kindle CS: (866) 321-8851

steelr10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. The reason I could not get my books was I had two accounts...kindle support was wonderful and helped me so my kindle books are now on my iPad....

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had contemplated getting a Kindle last year but realized I don't do much, if any reading in direct sunlight. I downloaded the Kindle app to my tablet netbook, and then got my iPad as a present 6 months ago and iPad is my dedicated reader. It's also nice to have the option to not only be locked to buying books from one store. With the superior battery life and nice profile of iPad, I don't touch the netbook for e-books anymore.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
steelr10 said:
I just got my ipad2 and love it. But I have an extensive library of books that my husband and I share on my kindle3.
Am I able to move my kindle library to my iPad. If so how do I do it? Very new to the workings of the iPad and would appreciate your help.

Yes. Go to Amazon/Kindle and access your library archives. You should be able to download it then to your Kindle app on your Ipad. Your books should sync (when reading) on all devices.

Read this
http://techtips.salon.com/transfer-kindle-books-ipad-4630.html

Most reactions

Latest posts