What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad and usb stick

hawksc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tspiderus, I too am struggling with this. In addition, I need to encrypt the files before moving between the work machine and iPad. The only way I've found (so far) is to jailbreak the iPad. I've not done this yet, but based on my reading, this will allow push/pull from the iPad. In other words, the iPad, after jail breaking (check out the jailbreaking threads on this site) the iPad will look like a disk to your work computer and you can copy files to and from the iPad. The "rough" part is working through the directory structure on the iPad. If you don't drop them in the right place, the iPad apps won't be able to find them. I've had similar problems with my iPod. I use Umbuntu on one of my laptops. It easily mounts the iPod and one can see the folders, etc. However, just dropping files onto the iPod doesn't work. When you go to play/use the iPod later, the files are invisible.

If I find out more, I'll PM you. Feel free to do the same with me. Anyone else that wants to PM me, feel free too. The iPad is just too cool of a tool to be limited in this way!

BearFLSTS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All, I am in the market for a tablet, (with a very open mind, so far) and one of my options is the iPad3. Reading this thread gives me a thought. I am an amatuer photographer and I usually carry a net book with which I download my photos from the SD card and then transfer them to USB flash drives to share my photos. Is this possible using an iPad3? Please bear in mind that I am usually working on site without internet access. My netbook works very well for this purpose, but I am now considering a tablet for other uses and wonder if the iPad3 can fulfill this duty as well. Thanks in advance!

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BearFLSTS said:
Hello All, I am in the market for a tablet, (with a very open mind, so far) and one of my options is the iPad3. Reading this thread gives me a thought. I am an amatuer photographer and I usually carry a net book with which I download my photos from the SD card and then transfer them to USB flash drives to share my photos. Is this possible using an iPad3? Please bear in mind that I am usually working on site without internet access. My netbook works very well for this purpose, but I am now considering a tablet for other uses and wonder if the iPad3 can fulfill this duty as well. Thanks in advance!

You can use the Apple Camera Kit to connect either your camera with a USB cable or read the SD card onto the iPad. This had been discussed at length on the forum. Search.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig (not JB'ed) / using iPF

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try Seagate Satillite or AirStash. Both can be accessed via WiFi. However AirStash uses pass-though capabilities where the Seagate does not. In other words, save from iPad back to the AS and is stored on SD cards, so your storage can be limitless.

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a big problem!! I am new to iPad and I have to find a way to take ALL my work documents with me when on the road (so far no sync is requiered). On my PC these documents are mixed file formats (doc, ppt, xls, txt, dwg, jpg, png, ... you name it), organized in a complex folder structure. Transfering only one file at a time (from PC to iPad through iTunes) simply isn't time wise or feasible. I also understood that copying MyDocs folder structures, by third party app, directly on iPad is not possible.

My best scenario would be to be able to take MyDocs (about 4GB) on a USB stick and read individual files when needed.

If you have any advice for me, please take into consideration that the places I travel usually don't have internet access, so, solutions such as Dropbox and iCloud are not feasible for me.

Thanks.
been thier done that. my best advice for you is to buy an android tab. you won't be sorry. when is comes down to doing real work the android tabs win hands dwon. check my youtube video you'll see. the proof is in the pudding.

Last edited by a moderator:

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hawksc said:
tspiderus, I too am struggling with this. In addition, I need to encrypt the files before moving between the work machine and iPad. The only way I've found (so far) is to jailbreak the iPad. I've not done this yet, but based on my reading, this will allow push/pull from the iPad. In other words, the iPad, after jail breaking (check out the jailbreaking threads on this site) the iPad will look like a disk to your work computer and you can copy files to and from the iPad. The "rough" part is working through the directory structure on the iPad. If you don't drop them in the right place, the iPad apps won't be able to find them. I've had similar problems with my iPod. I use Umbuntu on one of my laptops. It easily mounts the iPod and one can see the folders, etc. However, just dropping files onto the iPod doesn't work. When you go to play/use the iPod later, the files are invisible.

If I find out more, I'll PM you. Feel free to do the same with me. Anyone else that wants to PM me, feel free too. The iPad is just too cool of a tool to be limited in this way!

Why don't you organize a letter campaign to apple to address office integration. Maybe a few thousand emails would prompt a change now that SJ is gone.

I used to be all thumbs now I'm all gums I love dictating my posts!

Rasmussener

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like many people, I like iPad. What did you give me a good excuse to be there toshare tips. And if something is useful, and I'll be happy. I'm also on Twitter andFacebook.

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash is great for making copies of SD camera cards in the field! I plan on using my on Safari in Tanzania with a USB charger that uses AA batteries!

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an AirStash+.... It allows unlimited storage on SD cards inserted in AirrStash.com I store all my movies, PDFs, Files on an 128GB SD card and have all my files available while traveling!

Just got back from an European vacation. Made copies of all pictures taken on iPad, iPhone and camera, I also had PDFs of all records that I used with PDFpen to edit.

I just wish you could install new apps stored on it!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just wish you could install new apps stored on it!

Yep, I like my AirStash but I wish there was a way to save the data from apps to it. For instance, I subscribe to Evo magazine's digital version and the back issues take up over 10GB of space. I'd rather not have to re-download them every time I want to find an old article, but it'd be nice to free up space on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts