What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and travel external HD

doogle510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I’m going to be doing some traveling in next few months and have a question about using an external drive. What I want to do is leave me laptop at home and just travel with my DSLR and iPad. What I would like to do is move the files from a day of shooting off of the SD card to the iPad then on to the external hard drive, I know it would be easier just to take my laptop but I don’t want to be stuck in the room editing pics, I would prefer to do this when I get home from traveling, I’ve done some searching but haven’t really found the answer to my question, I know I need the camera kit, and I have already JB my iPad, so any help or links would be great

Topsurgeon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not possible since apple reduced the power supply to the iPad port with os 4.2

The camera connection kit still reads sd cards but does not receive enough power via the iPad port to support most USB flash drives or any external hard drive.

I have taken over 32 gb of pics and movies with my dslr on a recent trip to Malaysia. With jail broken os 4.2 and using I file I have managed to preview and organise movie files on the iPad but have still had to transfer them via sd cards and card reader an external hard drive attached to a conventional pc.

Maybe someone will be able to modify the core kernel commands of os 4.2 to alter the power settings of the iPad port so that external hard drives and USB drives can be mounted via the camera connection kit

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's really disappointing, guess we all better start loving cloud storage

OP
D

doogle510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I got an Y-USB cable to power up my external hard drive, so i got around the power problem, I'm using ifile but I cant seem to the ipad to read the hard drive, any ideas out there

greygoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would just bring the laptop. I remember traveling and taking 700 photos a day. It would take like 30 mins to dump it each night. Or you could buy an external drive with an SD card slot.

Maybe a NAS device with a travel router. Then, it gets complicated and better off bringing the laptop :)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This drive might be as interesting to you as it is to me.

HyperDrive

Unfortunately it's not available yet...But the ones with a screen and card slots are.

Last edited:
OP
D

doogle510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah I've seen those just way too much money, I've tried following "Shay Hack" but cant get that to work either,

OP
D

doogle510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the different options, it's looking like I'm just gonna take my laptop with me instead

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
This drive might be as interesting to you as it is to me.

HyperDrive

Unfortunately it's not available yet...But the ones with a screen and card slots are.

Now, that's very nice!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's one thing nagging me though. How come these guys have managed to make the iPad see the drive and no one has in almost a year? Is what they say it can do legitimate? Does it need an app to run?...

bobmielke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bobmielke.smugmug.com
By coincidence I just purchased a 250 Gig HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA from Amazon.com to do exactly the same thing you suggest. There's a special 120 Gig version design specifically to transfer photos to your iPad. I have scheduled a 9 day Green Tortoise bus tour of the Canyons of the West for July. The hyperdrive is the fastest backup device on the market, is rechargeable & will allow you to copy the full 250 Gigs on a single charge. It has the two most common memory card readers onboard. Another alternative I have coming in an Eye-Fi memory card with built-in wi-fi that uploads your photos to your computer or online storage site when you are within range of a wi-fi hotspot, ie, Starbucks, McDonalds, any motel, etc.

Last edited:
OP
D

doogle510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
There's one thing nagging me though. How come these guys have managed to make the iPad see the drive and no one has in almost a year? Is what they say it can do legitimate? Does it need an app to run?...

Yea I agree with you there, makes no sense

bobmielke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bobmielke.smugmug.com
iVan said:

Yea I agree with you there, makes no sense

Hey, there are free phone apps now (Whistle) and a GPS unit that plugs into the iPad. There's an Eye-Fi SD memory card with a built in wi-fi network transmitter that uploads a camera's photos to your computer or online storage site. Stuff has come a long way to a point where you have to start questioning the need for a laptop anymore. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts