What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelling to Eastern Europe

Lyman1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning all.

Newbie here and this is my second post to the forum.

Before I get flamed, I’ve searched the forum for this subject matter with no luck.

My job is deploying AT&T iPad2’s (i.e. 62gb, WiFi, 3G), at the end of this month.

I’m planning on travelling to Eastern Europe to see the In-laws and I’ve told my
Director that I should be able to keep up with my emails while there.

Below are my questions:
1.) Is the AT&T iPad2 unlocked?
2.) If not, is there a program (i.e. jail breaker), to do so?
3.) Could I just purchase a pre-paid Micro Sim card from carrier, once there?

Much Thanks for everyone’s help and assistance, in advance.

All the Best!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning all.

Newbie here and this is my second post to the forum.

Before I get flamed, I’ve searched the forum for this subject matter with no luck.

My job is deploying AT&T iPad2’s (i.e. 62gb, WiFi, 3G), at the end of this month.

I’m planning on travelling to Eastern Europe to see the In-laws and I’ve told my
Director that I should be able to keep up with my emails while there.

Below are my questions:
1.) Is the AT&T iPad2 unlocked?
2.) If not, is there a program (i.e. jail breaker), to do so?
3.) Could I just purchase a pre-paid Micro Sim card from carrier, once there?

Much Thanks for everyone’s help and assistance, in advance.

All the Best!

No iPads are locked - however, having said that, Members have reported that, when purchasing an AT&T iPad in the US they needed to activate it first with an AT&T microSIM before returning home. Having undertaken that activation, they had no trouble using microSIMs from other carriers once they'd reached their destination. One user - who bought an iPad in the US and then returned to Russia has reported, however, that he was able to activate it there without first having activated it in the US. However, I should caution that this is the only report we have received of someone being able to do this. We have numerous reports of members returning back home without activating first in the US and then having problems when they got home.

So, once you get the iPads to Eastern Europe you should have no problems if they've been activated first in the US. You might want to take the precaution of taking a SIM-cutter with you, just in case you can only find standard-size SIMs, as microSIMs are still something of a rarity.The cutter can reduce the size of the standard SIM to microSIM dimensions because the excess is only plastic and doesn't, of course, contain any electronics.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any other questions. If you want me to put you in touch with the member who returned his iPad to Russia without first activating it in the US, just let me know.

Tim

Leo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I though they are unlocked? I am sure that I read on manual that is says the all ipad 2 is unlocked but I may be a wrong?
Yes you can buy other carriers sim card once you there.
I am from Europe and I know you can do that without problems.

Sent from my android galaxy s phone using iPad Forums

OP
L

Lyman1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response Tim!

It's greatly appreciated.

So if I understand correctly, I'll activate it in the US (i.e. New York)
and purchase a Micro Sim abroad, then I'm good to go?

Furthermore, that's a "great" suggestion pertaining to the Sim
Cutter. Where can I obtain one of those?

All the Best!

OP
L

Lyman1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I though they are unlocked? I am sure that I read on manual that is says the all ipad 2 is unlocked but I may be a wrong?
Yes you can buy other carriers sim card once you there.
I am from Europe and I know you can do that without problems.

Sent from my android galaxy s phone using iPad Forums

Thanks Leo11.

All the Best!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response Tim!

It's greatly appreciated.

So if I understand correctly, I'll activate it in the US (i.e. New York)
and purchase a Micro Sim abroad, then I'm good to go?

Furthermore, that's a "great" suggestion pertaining to the Sim
Cutter. Where can I obtain one of those?

All the Best!

Amazon sell SIM cutters - just Google 'SIM cutter' and choose the vendor that best suits you. It's a painless task (unless you're the SIM!!:( )

Yes - as the other poster suggested, no iPads are locked but, having said that, it does appear as though they need to be initialised first on the AT&T network because, when you first switch the iPad on and try to set up the 3G network the software in the iPad takes you through to the AT&T site and appears to need to be initialised. Once you've done that, there's no subsequent problem in putting 'foreign' SIMs into the iPad.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts