What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Photography

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like (love) to use the iPad as a Netbook replacement for backing up and reviewing photos from my DSLR canera but the current (admittedly V1.0) iPad seems to be hardware bound in a couple of ways.

1. No SD card slot and no USB slot.
2. No way to copy files from SD card to USB drive (i.e. no access to the file system).

I know that there is the photography adapter/kit but that only allows you to connect either an SD card or USB drive at any one time and I assume only for the purpose of an Photos App. upload. I have a 16 GB SD card in the camera so I would have to get the 32 GB or 64 GB iPad to be able to backup more than 1 card, and I would have to get everything off the iPad at from time to tome to make room for more images.

Personally, I don't think that staying with iTunes as a de-facto "file manager" is going to work for the iPad. If nothing else it has to be renamed (which is long overdue anyway) but there also needs to be more direct access to the IO system.

With the current model, the only solution might be an App with a special IO adaptor (to allow simultaneous SD and USB connectivity) that would copy the files from the SD card to a USB drive and allow the imaegs to be reviewed. I have seen a post (eslewhere) from developer stating that even they don't have direct acess to the files. They can only access the "photo gallery".

In case someone is listening and plans to write such and App, here's what works for me (in this case written in PERL). I can nominate a destination directory (on the USB drive). I usually use the date and photogaphic subject as the name of the directory. The script creates subdirectories for JPEG and RAW files and copies any files that don't already exist into them (i.e. only photos that I have taken since the last backup). There is of course and application to view images on the Netbook. Another nice thing is the ths SD slot and USB port (4 of them actually) are built-in. The only bad thing is the screen image quality is not good, which is where the iPad has something to offer.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't use a USB thumb drive with the Camera Connection Kit because the CCK doesn't transfer power like a powered USB port does, so it won't turn on. So you will never see an app working with the current hardware and accessories available to do what you say.

The iPad really isn't meant to be a replacement to a laptop, either...which is why it doesn't work for everyone. Someone like you, for example, that needs to have all that storage space are going to be SOL.

Last edited:
OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't use a USB thumb drive with the Camera Connection Kit because the CCK doesn't transfer power like a powered USB port does, so it won't turn on. So you will never see an app working with the current hardware and accessories available to do what you say.

The iPad really isn't meant to be a replacement to a laptop, either...which is why it doesn't work for everyone. Someone like you, for example, that needs to have all that storage space are going to be SOL.

I didn't think to question whether USB power was available, that's another issue then. Iwas thinking of a USB HDD by teh way which requires full USB power.

I accept that the current model will never do what I am suggesting. This at least helps to decide which model to select if I decide to buy one. I would go for the 16 GB WiFi only model for use as a coffee table web browser.

It will be interesting to see whether Apple is content to keep the functionality iPad limited, They may well be happy to do so to protect their Mac sales.

I doubt that I would take the Netbook AND an iPad on the road, the fewer gadgets to loose or break the better.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not really limited though. You are looking at it as limited because it doesn't fulfill the purpose of a netbook or laptop, but that's not what it was designed to do really. If you look at it from the standpoint of what it was designed to do, it's not limited at all. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Just one man's opinion though.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One option for your storage issue is what I use - an AirShare. It's a small device that holds an SD card and broadcast the contents using it's own wifi signal, and you access the files via web browser.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One option for your storage issue is what I use - an AirShare. It's a small device that holds an SD card and broadcast the contents using it's own wifi signal, and you access the files via web browser.
Thanks, that sounds interesing although, as per other feedback, it seems that the current iPad will never be suitable for the purpose that I was considering more or less by design.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not really limited though. You are looking at it as limited because it doesn't fulfill the purpose of a netbook or laptop, but that's not what it was designed to do really. If you look at it from the standpoint of what it was designed to do, it's not limited at all. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Just one man's opinion though.

Well, while sitting on the coffee table it would make a decent digital photo frame. I would have to upload (or downlood?) only selected images of course, which is fair enough.

wkramer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would happen if you were to email yourself with a document (or photos or anything else) attached? What can you do with the document on the IPad? My is still on order so I cannot test this myself.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would happen if you were to email yourself with a document (or photos or anything else) attached? What can you do with the document on the IPad? My is still on order so I cannot test this myself.
If you have an office program you could open up attachments.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm planning to use the air stash when I'm out and about with my Canon DSLR, I can't wait to view some images as I'm shooting on this gorgeous display.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sure you're not talking about an AirStash?

www.airstash.com

I transfer all my photos with it.

John

That's the fella - I didn't pull it from my briefcase to read the name. ;)

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm...Airstash looks interesting.

However, it only uses SD card and not CF card.

That will limit the use of this device to SD card cameras. Those that are using Memory Sticks, XD card and CF card can't use this.

Any idea if they will launch another model for the other card types?

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any idea if they will launch another model for the other card types?

I've seen nothing about it. It works okay, but is limited by the iPad's lack of multitasking. You open the Airstash in a browser, select a file, and then it opens the app associated with it. You have to close the app, open the browser, reload the list and select each time you view a file. Gets tedious if you've got a lot of pictures or other files.

Most reactions