What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air WiFi Woes

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
I have had my Air for some time now and it has worked flawlessly. However, just recently the wifi just started playing up on my home network. Here are the facts of the problem:
  1. The iPad connects to the wifi, showing a good signal in the status bar.
  2. Under Settings, the wifi connected to appears to have a valid IP address in the same range as my router. The router has the correct IP and subnet, and the DNS servers are correct for my ISP.
  3. All apps that require an internet connects (most apps it seems these days!) tell me I am not connected.
  4. I have a wifi network diagnostics app, and I am unable to ping my router.
  5. I am unable to ping my iPad from any other device on the network.
  6. A network diagnostics app on my Mac can apparently 'see' the iPad on the network and says it has he same IP as the iPad reports, but it is unable to ping the iPad.
  7. I am also unable to load the router admin page from Safari on my iPad or browse to any other device on my network in my File Browser app.
  8. My iPhone and MacBook Pro all connect flawlessly, as does my wifes iPhone and iPad.
  9. I have recently installed a WiFi Power Adapter in my kitchen where the wifi signal in my house is very poor. This is currently set up to have it's own netwrok rather than extending the main wifi network, and my iPad can connect to that system flawlessly and browse the internet.
Things I have tried to no avail:
  1. Power down and restart iPad.
  2. Power down and restart router.
  3. Forget wifi network on iPad and reenter details.
  4. Reset all my network settings on the iPad.
  5. I have tried switching off the powerline wifi box and telling the iPad to forget that network.
  6. I have changed the wifi channel used by my router.

Nothing is working, and I am at a complete loss. I have not changed anything on my network, bar installing the powerline extenders. Does anyone else have any bright ideas, as they would be much appreciated!

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried renewing the IP address? To do that :
1. Go to Settings > Wifi.
2. Tap on the small 'i' button on the right of the problematic wifi network.
3. Tap on renew lease.

Another problem could be the security being set to WPA2. Changing it to WEP also can help.

OP
JezzerP

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
Thanks for the suggestion, but, yes, I have tried that. I have just done it again. It pops up asking me if I want to go ahead, I click 'Renew' but not a lot happens...the Renew Lease 'button' just stays grey. Is that 'normal'.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi JesserP,:)
I know you said (point1) that you powered down and restarted your iPad. Did you mean "reset" it? To "reset" your iPad, do this (sorry if you already tried this):
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Keep holding both until the Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
That move has often been of assistance when the iPad "plays up". It does not affect any settings or data.
Regards, Andrew

OP
JezzerP

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
Strange thing is, that despite no apparent connectivity, my iPad is still receiving push notifications :confused:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the router? This has been known to help in other similar cases.

OP
JezzerP

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
I have actually just come across the solution. I have a dual-band 2.4/5GHz router, and by switching to 5GHz only, I have my wifi connectivity back :) I guess the 2.4GHz spectrum was just getting a little crowded and I was getting interference. Wifi range and signal strength has suffered as a consequence, but I have the power-line adapter downstairs I can switch to if necessary.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have actually just come across the solution. I have a dual-band 2.4/5GHz router, and by switching to 5GHz only, I have my wifi connectivity back :) I guess the 2.4GHz spectrum was just getting a little crowded and I was getting interference. Wifi range and signal strength has suffered as a consequence, but I have the power-line adapter downstairs I can switch to if necessary.
Thanks for letting us know that you solved your problem, it could also help others with the same problem who read this thread.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

If it is interference, try looking at the other networks in your area and forcing the router to use a less crowded channel. You can't do this on the iPad or iPhone, but you should be able to find an app for the computer that will show you the wi-fi channel in your area.

Most routers scan and pick less used channels, but they often make mistakes. You can force the router to use the channel you want and leave chance out of the equation.

Most reactions

Latest posts