What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air - Warmer color temp

Wynamd32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad Air to replace my iPad 3 (iOS 8 just killed its performance), and got a unit with the dreaded yellow tint on the lower left-hand side (held in portrait). Replaced it with another, and I notice that both have a generally warmer color temp (yellowish tinted whites).

In everyone's experience, is this just how the iPad Air screens are, or is it possible to get a screen with true whites? I use mine for things that primarily utilize white backgrounds and so I'm a bit sensitive to a yellow tint. I went through the same thing with my iPad 3--first one was very yellowish, then I replaced it with one that had very accurate whites.

If they're all this way, then I'll just live with it. But if there's a decent chance of getting one with truer whites, I'd give another replacement a shot. Thoughts? Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you've got the brightness turned up at least half way. That might help.

Apple uses (or has in the past) more than one supplier for screens; so there is usually at least a little variation.

That said, my screen looks fairly neutral to me; but that may just be a lack of sensitivity on my part.

OP
W

Wynamd32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you've got the brightness turned up at least half way. That might help.

Apple uses (or has in the past) more than one supplier for screens; so there is usually at least a little variation.

That said, my screen looks fairly neutral to me; but that may just be a lack of sensitivity on my part.
Thanks for the reply. I think your right that brightness helps, but it's still pretty yellow. Hmm...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think your right that brightness helps, but it's still pretty yellow. Hmm...

Mine seems to have pretty neutral whites but I have read that a yellow tint is possible with some screens. It does appear to be hit or miss though. I'd try a few more and see if you can get one the way you want it. It's not a cheap device and should be exactly what you want it to be.

OP
W

Wynamd32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine seems to have pretty neutral whites but I have read that a yellow tint is possible with some screens. It does appear to be hit or miss though. I'd try a few more and see if you can get one the way you want it. It's not a cheap device and should be exactly what you want it to be.

Yep, I tend to agree. I don't want to be unreasonable, and I should point out--I've experienced this issue on a number of other devices as well. This is certainly not limited to Apple and the iPad. But, yes: it's not chump change.

Most reactions

Latest posts