What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 screen variation

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I compared 3 iPad 2's side by side at the weekend and also against my 1st gen device.
All 3 iPad 2's exhibited some form of light bleeding - some worse than others but only under extreme circumstances i.e. brightness up high in a dark room. For the record, the 1st gen also displays a small amount of light bleed on full brightness but not to the same extent of the send gen.
The other thing I noticed is the colour balance of the new screens - a couple of them showed a warmer colour balance with a real yellow tint across white at lower brightness levels. They actually made the 1st gen have a blue, cold look to whites. One of the 2nd gen screens did look closer to a brighter white than the others though so I'm guessing there are a few screen manufacturers being used for the 2nd gen.
At the lowest brightness level, the iPad 2 actually looks quite dull compared to the first gen although when brightness is up full, the screens are much closer in colour balance with the 2nd gen just having a very slight yellow tint. At 100% brightness, they all appeared about the same brightness.
Seems there is some real variation in the new screens but to be fair, the majority of colours and certainly viewing angles etc. seem identical across all the iPads I tested including the 1st gen.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - you live in *Scotland* (where I do) and you were able to see *3* iPad2s side-by-side!!! I haven't been able to see one yet!

Tell me where, please...though I don't want the ones with the bleeding screens...

Tim
Scotland

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow - you live in *Scotland* (where I do) and you were able to see *3* iPad2s side-by-side!!! I haven't been able to see one yet!

Tell me where, please...though I don't want the ones with the bleeding screens...

Tim
Scotland

Thanks to the beauty of the Argos text to reserve service! And a preorder with Comet. And the one I got in the queue @ Currys. Friday was a busy day! Actually got 4 so sold one last night via AVForums for retail price. Two more 2 go.
Did you not have any joy in Aberdeen??

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Friday was a sad day. I went to the Apple Store in Union Square but the queue was too long so I gave up. I subsequently learned from another member that John Lewis had them in stock and no queue.....so I went away and cried.....

Tim
Scotland

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Friday was a sad day. I went to the Apple Store in Union Square but the queue was too long so I gave up. I subsequently learned from another member that John Lewis had them in stock and no queue.....so I went away and cried.....

Tim
Scotland

Well I have 2 spare sitting here at the moment and a work colleague has another still boxed up. Let me know if they are of any interest to you. Can power one up and take pics of the screen if needed - Like I say I think they all have some form of light bleed if you look for it under the right conditions but it's a keeper for me and you can take them along to Apple store for a replacement if it is an issue.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer; I've ordered on-line now, they'll probably have bleed too....

Tim
Scotland

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good stuff.
Yip, I think they all do to some degree but in fairness the 1st gen does as well, just not to the extent we have seen with some of the 2nd gen.

Most reactions

Latest posts