What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air is virtually unusable

applefanboy4life

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a first generation iPad Air (16GB) which I bought when it first came out, about 2.5 years ago. Lately, the problems with it have become so severe that it is virtually unusable. Whenever I am on the Internet (Safari), if I have even 1 tab open, I would get an error saying a problem occured with the page and it was reloaded. These sites are fine when I visit them with my iPhone or Mac, but reboot on my iPad. I finally got so fed up I reset my entire iPad, and erased everything.

However, the problem still continued. I did several soft resets since, cleared all my browser settings, but my iPad keeps reloading whenever a page is content heavy. I had an iPad 2 before this and I don't think this happened to me much. I was on a DailyMail article earlier, and it reloaded. So I started using Chrome, because I thought the problem may be with Safari. It still happens! Except Chrome doesn't reload the page like Safari, it just dies and gives an error message.

This is so so so so frustrating. I can't do anything and I use my iPad for everything. I was just trying to watch a video on DailyMotion, and 1 second into the ad, it reloaded. Sometimes the page doesn't reload, and the entire screen goes black and the iPad crashes to the main screen.

What should I do?

I am so tempted to just go out and buy an iPad Pro. But at the same time I want to fix this problem and keep using this iPad Air.

Please help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you say that you erased everything, does that mean you use the Erase All Content and Settings in Settings > General > Reset? When you did this, did you restore from a backup? If so, then do the erase again, but do not restore the backup. Occationally a problem can be restored along with the backup.

Test, and if the problem perssists you might want to take it to an Apple Store for a diagnostic (if you have one nearby). It could be a hardware/memory problem.

You can also try Reset All Settings (before the clean restore). If the problem is in the backup there is a small chance this will clear the issue, since settings are one of the things restored.

Reset All Settings will default a lot of your settings, but will not erase content, apps, or account data.

Oldnill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a first generation iPad Air (16GB) which I bought when it first came out, about 2.5 years ago. Lately, the problems with it have become so severe that it is virtually unusable. Whenever I am on the Internet (Safari), if I have even 1 tab open, I would get an error saying a problem occured with the page and it was reloaded. These sites are fine when I visit them with my iPhone or Mac, but reboot on my iPad. I finally got so fed up I reset my entire iPad, and erased everything.

However, the problem still continued. I did several soft resets since, cleared all my browser settings, but my iPad keeps reloading whenever a page is content heavy. I had an iPad 2 before this and I don't think this happened to me much. I was on a DailyMail article earlier, and it reloaded. So I started using Chrome, because I thought the problem may be with Safari. It still happens! Except Chrome doesn't reload the page like Safari, it just dies and gives an error message.

This is so so so so frustrating. I can't do anything and I use my iPad for everything. I was just trying to watch a video on DailyMotion, and 1 second into the ad, it reloaded. Sometimes the page doesn't reload, and the entire screen goes black and the iPad crashes to the main screen.

What should I do?

I am so tempted to just go out and buy an iPad Pro. But at the same time I want to fix this problem and keep using this iPad Air.

Please help!

Oldnill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem with both an iPad Mini and Air.
You load a web page in Safari, the page crashes, a message states that a problem has occurred and the page will be reloaded and it does, either back to the beginning of a thread or to crash again.
I have tried rebooting with a modicum and temporary success, or non at all.
Any solutions?

Most reactions

Latest posts