What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad air case

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my 128G Air this week, decided to spend the extra money on space initially rather than get the case as I am gentle with my gear. Having said that a quick search on eBay found me a clear hard shell case back for less that five bucks and free shipping so I thought it would tide me over until the dust has settled and more cases are available and the existing cases get their inevitable discounts! My 1st Gen iPad lasted three years with just a clear case back and is now going on to more life as I gave it to a friend so I know I should be fine.

Also, I love retaining the slim profile which makes the OEM case even more attractive, it is just that here in Canada it cost just under $100 with tax!

Hope its OK to post a link, This is what I got, it looks like a Speck case back to be honest but way cheaper!

Crystal Clear Hard PC Plastic Back Case Cover Slim Shell FOR Apple Ipad 5 AIR | eBay

I cannot tell from the pics on the site, does this work with a smart cover??

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is the one I bought...the Rocketfish iPad Air folio case ($49.99 CDN at Future Shop). It folds into a stand, and can be rotated to multiple angles. It has a soft inner lining and the clips hold the Air securely. The only thing I don't like about it is that the top cover doesn't have a magnet to hold the ensemble closed, but it's not a huge deal. It also has a 'stylus holder', which is a bonus as I have one on order.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a stylus holder, I'm always losing mine.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yesterday I received a Fintie SmartShell Case for Apple iPad Air. It cost $.01 plus $4.99 for delivery. (Amazon) It covers the whole iPad and has the smart cover to wake the iPad when it is opened.

Fit is fine. It just snaps in. Very light and looks fine. Plus for 5 bucks it's perfect for while I look around for the "perfect" case.

Got the Invellop case this morning. Looks just like the Fintie but for $20.00 more. I don't see ANY difference. Oh well.

ianmedium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot tell from the pics on the site, does this work with a smart cover??

That is the downside to it, it's just a plastic shell. For me that is not an issue as I have a soft padded compartment in my bag. I wonder if one purchased those thin self adhesive magnetic strips and stuck it to the case it would do the job? When you think the price of this and then purchasing on of those strips( pretty cheap,around $2 usually) it is still cost effective and from what I have seen of similar case backs with mag strips it would be the same thin!

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the Invellop case this morning. Looks just like the Fintie but for $20.00 more. I don't see ANY difference. Oh well.
Yes i've noticed a few cases with different names that look the same, some are a silly price too.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess some of the Chinese mfg took a chance on rumored specs and it paid off. If they can sell enough of them at $5.99 I suppose they will do okay. I bought a $3.99 smart cover last year for my 3 from Amazon and its worked as well for me with a really cheap clear back that I trimmed a bit to be able to use with my Logitech ultrathin keyboard case, but when not needing the keyboard, i would just slap the 'smart cover' on. Worth every bit of the $3.99 plus shipping. i bought the Fintie for the Air and for $11 including shipping it will be worthwhile for some lightweight protection and ability to have viewable angles until I find something better.

ianmedium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just looked at the ebay store of the seller I got my $5 case back from and he has just listed a new one for the same price in various colours and it appears there is now a cut out along one side where the iPad smart cover would fit.
Slim Snap on Crystal Hard Back Shell Case Cover for iPad Air 5 5th | eBay

My other one without the cut out is on its way and I will report back as to fit and quality of it when it arrives.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just looked at the ebay store of the seller I got my $5 case back from and he has just listed a new one for the same price in various colours and it appears there is now a cut out along one side where the iPad smart cover would fit. Slim Snap on Crystal Hard Back Shell Case Cover for iPad Air 5 5th | eBay My other one without the cut out is on its way and I will report back as to fit and quality of it when it arrives.

Thanks! I just ordered a clear one. Can't go wrong for $5.00!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

ianmedium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats great. I will be interested with your thoughts.
Your right, for this money you can't go wrong. I was waiting for the Speck case backs to come out but when all said and done these are just plastic case backs. As long as they fit snug and the cut outs are right then all is good and if they don't all I have lost is the price of a cup of coffee!

I do want to get a full case eventually anyway but it has to be slim like the OEM full case Apple offer. Just knowing how things work though I just do not want to plonk down $100 for something that is sure to be discounted in the January sales in a couple of months so this will do for now.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also ordered a full origami folding case with Smart Cover last week for .01 plus 4.98 shipping! This deal was also posted here via Amazon. That one has not arrived yet. In the meantime I am using the costly Apple Smart Cover.....$39!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With every iPad and iPhone I have owned I protected it in an Otterbox Defender case. I know many say it makes the idevice too bulky but I like the protection it provides. As soon as they come out with one for the Air it too will get one

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I received the Fintie case in red today. Friday until Tuesday--decent shipping time. The case is certainly worth the $11 I paid with shipping. It will do just fine until I find the case I really want. I've had a number of other cases after 2 other Ipads including the Logitech ultrathin keyboard case but I plan to buy a light, very basic case this time with good viewing angles (not the folding cover), auto off/on cover and something other than black LOL. I looked at Targus, Griffin and Belkin Air covers today at Best Buy when I went to buy another USB to Lightning cable and they were all in black for now.

So, I can recommend this case--all port openings are correct, auto cover works fine as well as magnet is strong enough to keep cover closed, it folds and is okay for 2 viewing angles--and its not too bad looking in red faux leather with nice probably microfiber inside against screen.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
I went ahead and ordered the rooCase slimshell origami from Amazon for $10 to tide me over until Native Union comes out with a redesigned Gripster. It hasn't shipped yet so for now I am using the Smart Cover, which should be compatible with Gripster if/when it comes out. I prefer a case that easily converts to a stand for portrait and landscape. The rooCase fits the bill, but does not offer as many adjustments as the Gripster. Come ON, Native Union... Hurry up!

Most reactions