What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 - screen has a ghosted/hazy edge

SimonIPadAir2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I think there are some other posts a bit like this but thought share what we are getting as not quite the same.

Our iPad Air 2 has suddenly gone a bit strange. The colours are off and the edge has a sort of haze around it. You also can partially see through any given app and see icons behind it (around the edges at least).

On a TV or CRT monitor this would be some sort of screen burn I guess but doesn't apply to LCD screens does it? Plus what is "burnt" doesn't stay the same.

We tried the Accessibility settings at first but all were OK (no invert etc.). The device does have a crack in the bottom right of the screen (last photo shows it) but that has been there at least 3 years. We don't know when/how it happened exactly but definitely not new!

I have done a full reset of the device and switched it to a different Apple ID and disallowed any cloud or backup recovery so it is "out of the box" but the problem persists. Even during the reset the "ghost" background was there along with the apple logo.

Also tried slapping it on the back a few times but no joy!

I notice this morning that it seems to be a bit better but after a few minutes of use the haze starts to creep in from the edges. Other posts mentioned battery swelling, could it be that the battery swells more as it warms up once iPad is on?

After googling and such yesterday followed by full reset, concluded this was probably a hardware issue so have ordered the new Air 10.5. It is a sad fact but this device gets more attention than any other in the house! It is not far off being a "pet".

I would like to rescue this one but only if the cost of doing so is low!

Thanks for any help anyone can suggest!

Simon

IMG_20200626_211155.jpg

IMG_20200626_211147.jpg

IMG_20200626_211134.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi

I think there are some other posts a bit like this but thought share what we are getting as not quite the same.

Our iPad Air 2 has suddenly gone a bit strange. The colours are off and the edge has a sort of haze around it. You also can partially see through any given app and see icons behind it (around the edges at least).........

After googling and such yesterday followed by full reset, concluded this was probably a hardware issue so have ordered the new Air 10.5. It is a sad fact but this device gets more attention than any other in the house! It is not far off being a "pet".

I would like to rescue this one but only if the cost of doing so is low!

Hi Simon - I had an iPad Air 2 for 4 years - traded the device in for an iPad Pro 11" in late 2018 (which just developed a problem but was still under AppleCare+, so got a free replacement - have a recent thread).

I have to agree w/ you after looking at those pics, i.e. a screen/hardware issue - of course, you could get a 'diagnostics' done (but are the stores open?) - I started an Apple Chat and a diagnostics was done via my Wi-Fi network - not sure if that is an option w/ an 'out of warranty' iPad - don't know? But you could start a chat and see what your Apple options may be - below are the prices for repairs - looks like $300 (LINK) - a reputable 3rd party repair shop likely would be less expensive, or you could take a look at the iFixit Website for a guide, if you're a 'handy man' in the mood for some tear down work? Good luck. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 12.11.26 PM.png

OP
S

SimonIPadAir2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave

Good to know you think hardware issue too!

We have a third party Apple repair store in my town (in the UK) and if that reopens I may take it for a socially distanced visit. See what they think and what cost them doing it would be. Don't think I can justify £250 via Apple themselves.

Had an dig around iFixIt and I might have a go at fixing it myself but have to buy some tools to get the thing apart given it is glued together. It sounds like it may be horribly tricky though I can't make the screen any worse really.

New screen is a fairly pricey item especially if I mess up the procedure and kill the whole thing.

A bricked one from ebay might be a cheaper source of a replacement screen tho that is a risk too!

It still, sort of works so I might just give it "light work" for now and work up to doing something with it.

Thanks

Simon

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Dave

Good to know you think hardware issue too!

We have a third party Apple repair store in my town (in the UK) and if that reopens I may take it for a socially distanced visit. See what they think and what cost them doing it would be. Don't think I can justify £250 via Apple themselves.

Had an dig around iFixIt and I might have a go at fixing it myself but have to buy some tools to get the thing apart given it is glued together. It sounds like it may be horribly tricky though I can't make the screen any worse really.

New screen is a fairly pricey item especially if I mess up the procedure and kill the whole thing.

A bricked one from ebay might be a cheaper source of a replacement screen tho that is a risk too!

It still, sort of works so I might just give it "light work" for now and work up to doing something with it.

Thanks

Simon

Hi again Simon - from the Table below (Source), the Air 2 is on the 'bubble of support' and is now 6 years old - as stated in my previous post, I traded up to the 11" iPad Pro because the old iPad's battery was losing health, plus the newer technology was appealing - I was able to get about $100 USD for the Air 2 from an online site, so slightly soften the new purchase.

I've looked at some of those iFixit 'tear-down' guides which are rated - believe the screen/display/digitizer replacement is a 'difficult' one as I recall (not something I'd want to do but we do have some here who do iPad repairs and may 'chime in'). Good luck and know that you'll enjoy your new iPad! Dave
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.38.00 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts