What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue-ish edges of iPad 4's screen - normal?

Tigro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm a fresh iPad 4 owner (and by "fresh" i mean "I just opened the box"...
grin.gif
). Until now, I was using iPad 1st gen and the thing that struck me as odd is that when I look at my new iPad's screen, it has a blue-ish glow on every edge. It's particularly visible on white backgrounds and I can't say that it doesn't annoy me as I didn't have such problem with my iPad 1. It's particularly visible when looking at a screen from an angle and it's almost unnoticable when looking both straight and with some lamp lighting the room (though when there is much white on the site, it still draws your attention). It's not some unclear memory of mine as I still have my previous iPad and when placed beside each other, one can't miss the fact that iPad 1 is white edge-to-edge white iPad 4 has a blue outline.

Is it normal? Do you have such issue with your iPads as well or should I demand a new device? Neither reset nor tapping the iPad on the back helps to the issue.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, just return it for a new one. No need to go in with a "demand" attitude. You get 14-days to return it for any reason whatsoever, so just get a new one.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For some reason there seems to be more display complaints with the iPad 4 screen........maybe a quality control issue?

Just return it as mentioned and they will gladly replace it for another one that is perfect as it should be.

OP
T

Tigro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, just return it for a new one. No need to go in with a "demand" attitude. You get 14-days to return it for any reason whatsoever, so just get a new one.
Thank you. You pay for it so you have the right to demand it to be in perfect condition. Don't see what inappriopriate is there with a word "demand" in this context.

Just return it as mentioned and they will gladly replace it for another one that is perfect as it should be.
I see, thanks.

I heard that you can call Apple just informing about the matter and they'll send some dispatch-rider with a new device to you who will also get your broken thing. However, I bought my iPad in an online store (a certified Apple reseller but not Apple itself) and I don't own any additional care plan so am I still elligible for such things or do I have to get to the closest Apple service provider, hand my iPad and then wait some time before I collect new one?

stevedoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im a little bit concerned about this as I bought mine on black friday at an apple store in the uk. It is a Christmas present so i wont be opening it until Christmas day. As such if I find an immediate problem like the one mentioned here, it seems I will be outside the normal return window. Not sure what I could do in those circumstances. I'm not assuming I will have a problem.....

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I heard that you can call Apple just informing about the matter and they'll send some dispatch-rider with a new device to you who will also get your broken thing.

I dunno......first I've heard of that.
Any rate good luck getting your new one..........let us know how it goes. :thumbs:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im a little bit concerned about this as I bought mine on black friday at an apple store in the uk. It is a Christmas present so i wont be opening it until Christmas day. As such if I find an immediate problem like the one mentioned here, it seems I will be outside the normal return window. Not sure what I could do in those circumstances. I'm not assuming I will have a problem.....

I purchased an iPad 4 for my wife for Christmas @ the Apple store, 3-weeks ago..............they told me I could return it no questions asked until January 14, 2013 (2-weeks beyond the new year).
Receipt says so also....

stevedoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad 4 for my wife for Christmas @ the Apple store, 3-weeks ago..............they told me I could return it no questions asked until January 14, 2013 (2-weeks beyond the new year).
Receipt says so also....

Ok many thanks - feel much more comfortable about knowing that - 4 more days to go to first ever touch device....!

OP
T

Tigro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems the return thing may not be that easy (I don't live in the States). Apparently, the 14-day return period is valid only when you buy at the Apple Online Store which I haven't done (at a certified reseller, though). Then, my obly option is to use a regular, 30-day warranty period during which I'd have to cope without my iPad, which may be painful considerin I use iPad heavily every day. Therefore, the thing has complicated a bit and it may turn out I'll just have to learn to live with the blue glow...

stevedoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've now dug out my receipt and it says return date = 7th Dec 2012 (purchased on 23rd Nov). Better hope there are no probs, sweat sweat.....

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple are issuing refurbs as replacements from Apple Stores, brown box replacements, an Apple CS rep confirmed this over the phone.
My ipad 4 was 3 days old returned it to Apple Store to be given brown box replacement, NOT a sealed new White box.

Took me 4 ipads to get one I could live with had yellow scren tint, and the blue haze around the edges.

I shouldn't have had to pay £488 for something I could "live with".
Unhappy with quality control to be honest.

*EDIT*
Thinking about it, its 12 days since I paid £488 for my new Ipad and I'm not 100% happy.
Will contact Customer Support.

Last edited:

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Contacted Apple Customer Support tonight and explained that I was on my third replacement Ipad and the screen was still not perfect.
The blue haze around the edges is there with the third replacement, thought I could live with it but I cant.
It was another post by someone asking about the blue edges on their Ipad than made me think about this.

I'm a freelance photographer and I had intended to use the Ipad to exhibit work on the Retina screen to clients.
Not a "disguntled customer" :) just someone that needs the screen to be perfect.

C.S. advised that as I had the original order swapped over at a Retail Store they were unable to arrange a white box replacement for me over the phone as the original unit had "been put back in to the system".
They advised i should contact Applecare in the morning see what they can do for me.

Its only 12 days since I bought my new Ipad 4 and have to say I dont have a lot of confidence in the brown box refurbs...
I've had three of them and none of them have been right.

Honestly, I'm looking to get a white box sealed brand new retail unit as a replacement or a refund as I'm only 12 days into my order and not had a perfect unit.

The last thing I am all about is stirring things up, causing a fuss etc - I just want my Ipad! :) - but to be honest I could be happier at this point.
I'm sure Apple will look after me in this case.

Would appreciate if anyone could pitch in with any thoughts, comments etc about this situation please?
Will AppleCare sort me out with a new one?

If I have to go down the refund route I would buy a new one anyway as I love my Ipad.

thanks very much.

(sorry to threadjack, just realised!)

Last edited:

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

phoned AppleCare this morning.
Very helpful Apple rep sympathised with situation but as the Ipad being returned wasn't original serial number it would cause problems.

She had to seek authorisation from Manager for brand new replacement and would contact me.
She phoned an hour or so later to let me know a brand new ipad would be sent out to ASAP and courier would contact me to collect old one.

Felt as though I was looked after, good service by Apple.

Like a happy ending, happy holidays folks. :)

Most reactions