What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 Pessimist

Lpatrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS update tonight. Wonder what else is not going to work. I've developed an attitude lately due to our pads inability to operate to the same level as a PC based product. All issues stem from web activities. For instance I could not carry on lengthy chats with Sony support without the chat freezing and of all things the chat icon not even appearing on AT&T U-Verse support. Had to go upstairs in both instances to use our PC. Problem with that was I had to go up and down the stairs multiple times since the problems were with downstairs devices. Well, I've complained enough. I really appreciate the great help this forum provides. Oh, one last irk. Even though I have emails notifications on for the forum no emails are received on our Air 2. Goodnight.

sparksd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loaded 9.1 on my 128GB LTE Air 2 a couple of days ago and haven't seen any problems at all.

OP
Lpatrick

Lpatrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks sparked. In hind sight I should check thinks out before complaining. I'm 0 for 2.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm coming to the conclusion that error free operation of computer equipment, including iPads, is no accident. This forum has been operating for quite a while now, and we have seen a vast amount of problems in that time. The "What height can I drop my glass iPad from and not expect it to break?" thread was particularly interesting. I think we agreed on 23.5 inches (maybe).

I am surrounded by electronics, most of which have wireless connectivity. I am at the point where nothing "just works".

I have equipment here that is not even plugged in; not because I don't know how to use it, but because there is simply not enough room in my computer/home theatre system for it.

Stop a minute and ask yourself what you are asking of your iPad. I've used mine for playing music, controlling a home theatre and (pause for dramatic effect) keeping myself alive, hundreds of kilometres from the next human being in the depths of a Canadian winter (and I'm NOT joking).

I believe it's time to go back to basics. Telephone call comes in; answer it on iPad or Mac; life goes on; no big deal; WHAT? This is a huge deal. 10 years ago, this was science fiction. Start to appreciate just what you have in your hands. Yes, it's a MAGICAL piece of glass, but the cold fact is that it is not magic. Operating the thing takes some work; not as much work as getting anything useful out of a Commodore 64 used to be, but some.

I've noticed a change. People used to get together on the net to compare problems; to decide how to attack a problem. We were geeks, before being a geek became fashionable. Nowadays, the attitude seems to be "This piece of equipment should do exactly what I believe it should do; regardless of whether my expectations are flawed or totally insane." Doesn't work that way in the real world. You want to move 60 tonnes? Buy a Peterbilt, not a Fiat.

So, what I'm asking, is that people start to show some respect for this fantastic, beautiful technology that they hold in their hands, and to put things into perspective at the same time.

In 30 seconds, this post will be available for reading ALL OVER THE WORLD. Let that sink in, and if you don't understand why that statement means something, go and live in a cave, but before you go, take a look at the archive photographs of the Swedish telephone system and then marvel at the wifi-equipped, BlueTooth-equipped, music-playing, movie-playing, direction-finding, communication-enabling device you can buy for a few hours work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's actually something of a compliment when people start to expect 100% reliability out of a technology. It means that it has reached that turning point where the expectation is that the technology is just a part of life, and should be both useful and yet barely worth thinking about.

Cars achieved this almost a century ago. Telephones a few decades ago, and computers (especially mobile computers) are right on the cusp.

So, those of us who spent the last few decades playing with computers are amazed at how far they've come. Those that are only now starting to really use them are somewhat annoyed that they are good enough that you want to trust them completely, but occasionally let you down.

That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

sparksd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's actually something of a compliment when people start to expect 100% reliability out of a technology. It means that it has reached that turning point where the expectation is that the technology is just a part of life, and should be both useful and yet barely worth thinking about.

Cars achieved this almost a century ago. Telephones a few decades ago, and computers (especially mobile computers) are right on the cusp.

So, those of us who spent the last few decades playing with computers are amazed at how far they've come. Those that are only now starting to really use them are somewhat annoyed that they are good enough that you want to trust them completely, but occasionally let you down.

That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

Yeah, they sure have. To date myself, I wrote my first s/w in 1971 (44 years ago!) and am now retired from the industry. I'm relatively new to the iPad, having been an Android addict for many years and I have to say how pleasantly surprised I have been with the Air 2. For me it has been rock solid and where I felt the need to root my Android devices and install custom ROMs, I'm content with leaving the iPad as is. But issues can arise and be difficult to deal with as the OP is apparently running into. We're not at a perfect system yet.

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've experienced similar problems in the past and I've learned not to panic or get to upset about these things. I can usually find a solution or a workaround on my own and even if I can't the problem usually resolves itself over time. So my message is dont get to crazy about these things. I might try a different browser with different settings. Hang in there!

Most reactions