What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 to iPad Air 2 upgrade woes!

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yesterday i finally decided that I'd had enough of my ageing iPad2, and bought myself a shiny new iPad Air 2. I made sure my iCloud backup was up to date on my old iPad, and powered on the new one and started the, what turned out to be, VERY long update process.

The restore didn't take very long at all.......which was a bit of a concern, especially when i got a message saying some items could not be restored.
Then the apps started to restore, and it's now taken over 10, yes 10 hours to get back all my apps. I had to resort to deleting a few and redownloading them as they seemed to get in a "restore loop".

Well its finally all done, but I think I've discovered what might have been causing all my problems. I had forgotten that previously due to a DHCP problem on my router, I had given my iPad 2 a fixed IP address. So obviously the restore to my new iPad gave it the same IP address. I only realised this after all the kerfuffle, and it's now been changed.

Now I'm not that technically competent, so this is only an assumption, and perhaps someone who knows better than me can comment. I know the IP addresses were the same, but the MAC addresses were still different, but could this have caused the problems I encountered?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yesterday i finally decided that I'd had enough of my ageing iPad2, and bought myself a shiny new iPad Air 2. I made sure my iCloud backup was up to date on my old iPad, and powered on the new one and started the, what turned out to be, VERY long update process.
Well its finally all done, but I think I've discovered what might have been causing all my problems. I had forgotten that previously due to a DHCP problem on my router, I had given my iPad 2 a fixed IP address. So obviously the restore to my new iPad gave it the same IP address. I only realised this after all the kerfuffle, and it's now been changed.

Now I'm not that technically competent, so this is only an assumption, and perhaps someone who knows better than me can comment. I know the IP addresses were the same, but the MAC addresses were still different, but could this have caused the problems I encountered?

Sorry about your problems upgrading the new iPad Air 2 - did the same in early December but used a cabled connection to my MBPro - went well except that the iWork apps did not transferred (would had been my last guess for an issue - just had to DL them again).

Not sure how your knew that both iPads had the same IP address (I have a couple of apps on my iPad that can scan my home network - see attached pic of the results of one of the programs) - but obviously if true then a conflict would be a consideration, IP addresses need to be unique for each device on the same network, regardless of whether static or dynamic (my AP Extreme router is using DHCP).

So, I would think that if an IP address conflict existed that may have been an issue - not sure what wireless speeds you achieve w/ your router, but another potential explanation. Hopefully, some of our more network savvy members will 'chime in' - hope all is well now - and I'd suggest getting a new router w/ a functioning DHCP - all of those devices in my house have dynamic IP addresses (and my wife's iPhone & iPad Mini are missing from the list @ the moment). Dave :)
IMG_1638.PNG

Last edited:
OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, yes, I have to say all is well now. I use an app called "Fing" to interrogate my network, that's how I found the both with the same IP address.
I don't have any other problems with my router and any other device, except for the one occasion with my old iPad 2 when it simply refused to give it an address, so I gave it a fixed IP.
My download speed is pretty awful (6-7Mb), so that was probably a factor as well.
I have to say though, that the difference between the two machines is like night and day. Sooooo much faster, and very crisp graphics. Glad I made the upgrade.
Steve :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425399781.534535.jpg

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My 2 to Air 2 went smoothly, and with a following synch to iTunes my music and photos were recovered from where they reside on my Windows PC.

Don't know about the discussion about IP conflict though. I obviously did not have my 2 powered up when setting up the Air 2. Admittedly the new device has the same IP as the old one, but if I power up the old one it is allocated a new IP.

I am almost certain the the mac address (which is absolutely unique for ANY device, including printers etc) is used to detect a new device connection to any network, so conflict should (in theory) be impossible unless static IP addresses are used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I reckon if I'd been sensible and switched off my iPad2 before doing the restore, then it might have been as smooth as yours :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, yes, I have to say all is well now. I use an app called "Fing" to interrogate my network, that's how I found the both with the same IP address.
I don't have any other problems with my router and any other device, except for the one occasion with my old iPad 2 when it simply refused to give it an address, so I gave it a fixed IP.
My download speed is pretty awful (6-7Mb), so that was probably a factor as well.
I have to say though, that the difference between the two machines is like night and day. Sooooo much faster, and very crisp graphics. Glad I made the upgrade.
Steve :)

Hi Steve - thanks for the further information - I also have the Fing app (works about the same) - I guess as suggested that if you had the old iPad off or 'out of the house', then might have gone much better - and I suspect that your DL speed may have also been a factor.

BUT, glad all is well - I'm really enjoying the iPad Air 2 - love the graphics, Finger Print technology, faster speed, and the thinness/lightness - the old iPad 2 felt like a brick! Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts